1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Purses and options

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jim brown, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

When I started shooting purses and options were normally $5 and $10. Everybody played them. Today they are $10 and $20 and nobody plays them. If you corrected the old purses and options for inflation they would be $50 and $100 today. Do you think the purses and options are too low today? If they were the same as 40 years ago (corrected for inflation) do you think more people would play them?

jim brown

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I think that the era we began shooting, Jim, was taught to focus on monetairy gane involved with but not limited to handicap shooting. Today the average shooter no longer strives to win big payouts but just wants to shoot targets.

With experiencing non registered shoots where options are about 1/2 what they are normally at registered, I would say reduced cost would more likely get a better interest.

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

So, ya say nobody plays em at 10 and 20 dollars right? Just wondering what makes ya think maybe if they were raised to 50 and a hundred dollars people would start playin em more. Bet less would be playing options.

GneJ

4. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Hippy: read a little slower. I didn't say what I thought. I asked what others thought

jim brown

5. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

The average shooter has gotten smarter, he doesn't like getting his pocket picked. The gambler/shooter will still play the lewis.

6. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I remember when you could play the 25 options on 16's and make money with a less than perfect score. When was the last time you saw a 25 option on 16's?

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Today versus yeterdays shooting is about perception. Yesterdays scores overall were lower, todays scores and averages are higher by a much wider margine!! It was easier to fool shooters of old in seperating them from their cash than it is with todays higher scorers with higher averages in all events. Restore that old perception if you want to have more shooters play options!! Historical facts?? Hap

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I believe at $5 and $10 more people would play them!

35 years ago ... it was a younger crowd that shot Trap, and were more confident in their abilities. I remember my wife saying "Why would you go to a big shoot if you didn't think that you were good enough to play the money?"

Now days the payouts suck! Hardly worth playing the options.

9. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

The cashier sheet or payoff sheet was always the best advertisement to encourage shooters to play the options as it showed what you could have won with maybe one more target either in the total or on one of the 50s and sometimes just a 25 on one trap.

The Missouri Fall Handicap payoff sheet was handed out by the club manager as a draw to their shoot showing what last year’s options paid. Many times back in the ‘80’s or early 90’s just breaking one 25 would pay for that events entry at the Fall Handicap.

Then the easy soft target mentality pounced on people everywhere to where it only mattered if you could shoot a high score. Well ties are what kill options. Now when you have that occasional good score, so do many other shooters. That results in a payout that discourages shooters from playing the options, as there is no enticement to do so.

Throw a more difficult target and pour concrete and you will see a change in the playing of options.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I agree with Neal Crausbay 100% and have been preaching this to deaf ears, and draw so much BS from Grntitan, Big Don, Ivanhoe and others that just don't realize what it was like.

Neal earned his Grand Slam on the 3 hole hand pulled targets, now that was tough.

Go to wider and a little faster target, lets say 45mph, set at 10'Ft and forget how far the target goes, set the speed w/radar gun.

Pay the 25s 60/40 and the 50s 50/30/20 and all lewis classes were paid 50/30/20
    classes decided by attendance of the shoot.

If you guys cannot handle a target like this find another sport, maybe skeet.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Time to time, I ask people why they don't play the options.

Number 1 answer: "I'm not that good."

Number 2 answer: "I can't afford it"

Making the game more difficult will not help either of those problems.

DLS

Why don't you make up a survey promoting the changes you want yo see happen, along some changes you would not, along things as they are now.

Keep it simple, you could do it on a single sheet, maybe two, simple check off system, and put up on a couple bulletin boards of places you shoot.

Then let us know the results along with the questions. Perhaps others might want to do the same.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

As usual Neal nailed this one perfectly although Gary may have gone a bit overboard. If you wanna see participation increase pour more concrete first with 3-holers right behind. You only need to throw the targets to the 50 yd. line for effect!!

13. jhoward

jhoward Member

Going to 'three hole' targets would be a better first option as it won't cost the clubs any money and will have some effect on all three disciplines. Pouring another 3-5 yards of concrete will cost more and in some cases simply can't be done due to the space required and only affects handicap.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Move singles to the 27 ...

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Forget the options-run each event like a lottery- put your ATA # in hat --$5.00 a chance--this way you've got a chance.

Phil Berkowitz

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

jhoward, the Handicap event is what attracts the dollars and that's where the problem lies. I seriously doubt just throwing a wider angle will solve that problem. You need to couple that together with more yardage for top shooters. Without that, mostly short yardage shooters are adversly affected!!

17. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

50 yard 3 hole targets. The lack of which has killed the Missouri Fall Hcp.

Believe it or not.

Barry Kemper

18. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

40 years ago I had a good business and a job today I have neither. I don't win so no great loss. Charge anything they want, noboby has to buy it.

Harry

19. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Mr Kemper, that certainly looks to be the case.

20. Hauser

Hauser Member

The decline in the number of people playing the options is a direct result of easier targets and the resulting higher scores.

The EC now has 15+ years of data following the change to the 2 hole target. Where are those board members that voted for that change now?? Why aren't they explaining to membership how that change has improved the sport?? Where is Neil?? He was one on the prime movers for the change.

This is what happens when you get politicians instead of knowledgable shooters running the sport. The 2-hole change had a long list of unintended consequences, including the subject at hand, that none of the politicians then or now have bothered to correct.

Jerry Hauser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting options and purses

trapshooting purses