1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Purse Confusion

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have seen many arguments and misunderstandings about a "High Gun Purse" and a "Purse". These terms are printed in programs but rarely explained.

If at a shoot,there were 2-100's/2-99's/one 98 and 3-97's shot by shooters who played a high gun purse split 40-30-20-10%, the two scores of 100 would split 70% of the purse and the two 99's would split 50% of the purse.

If the program described this option as a "purse", then the two 100 would split 40% of the money. The two 99's would split 30%, the single 98 would get 20% of the total money in the purse and the three scores of 97 would split 10% of the money in the option.

A high gun purse pays the the top 4 scoring shooters. A purse pays the top 4 scores.

With a purse, it is possible for a lower score to earn more money than a higher score. I would like to see some programs described the difference between a purse and a high gun purse more clearly.

Pat Ireland

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat - The two 99s would split 30% of the purse in your first example, not 50% of the purse. HMB

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

P3AT I believe is correct.
    Don

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Eureka! You gotta know your purses. Thanks Pat!

I generally avoid purses, especially my wife's, as you never know what mysteries lurk within.

Guy

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Most people have not taken the time to discern the difference between Percentage payouts and High Gun payouts.

I ran a program of winter shoots, with Lewis payout in 3 classes, 1 money for each 5 entries, High gun system.

It was the best received, but no one understood it. Most of the shooters only understand percentage payouts, which makes for lots of small prizes in many cases.

the HG system is much better.

HM

6. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

We once used a point system as well. I have examples somewhere.

Joe Woods/Ontario

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

To add to what Pat said, most programs I see state whether a purse will be paid "High Gun" or "Percentage".

Obviously, a purse called "High Gun Purse" usually pays on the high-gun method as Pat explained above. But other Purses still may be paid on the "High-Gun" method even though they are not called "High-Gun Purse". For example a purse may be described as follows: Jackpot Purse, 40-30-20-10, high gun. That same purse could be set up differently as follows: Jackpot Purse, 40-30-20-10, percentage. Two entirely different results, you have to pay attention to more than the name of the purse. It depends on how the payout is described; high-gun or percentage.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

P3AT- Yes, I did add 20%+10% and came up with 50% and I did not even have to use a calculator to make that error.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.