1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Purple Martins

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Have you provided shelter for them? They like those gourd houses.

2. porky

porky TS Member

Call you county cooperative extension or whatever they have in Florida. I'm sure that they will be able to tell you. If not, call the Audubon Society or local birdwatcher's group.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

My wife put up her Marten house again this year, and it's the first time we've ever had them make nests in it, the last two years it was just sparrows, we're in N Texas

4. texaswebbshooter

texaswebbshooter Member

Have one 12 hole house here in Richardson Tx. This year I have 8 pair and the babies will be here soon. I have had them back for the last 10 years in a row.

5. Franktri

Franktri Member

This is the second year in NJ that they're here. Last year they were here for a while but, I think, they were scared away by barn swallows. This year, so far, they are out in force when I mow the lawn!!

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Did you clean out the house or gourds. Mine are here already but I have learned that you have to clean house each year. South Georgia Jackie B.

7. quartering

quartering Active Member

purple martins eat bugs. there's probably not a bug on your property, is there? good luck with it

8. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

We Cleaned the houses out last year on our farm. Have about 30 adults this year and suspect we will have a real clan in a few weeks. Swarmed mark as he mowed for the 1st time on Friday afternoon. Singing is phenomenal. Hope they eat all the bugs because they will be horrible after all the endless rain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
purple marin forum

purple martin forums