1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Purple Bluing....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MDMike, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

What causes "purple" bluing? I was looking at a used Perazzi that had been gone through and refinished the other day and the bluing had a purple hue. What causes this. Thanks, Mike......

2. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

too much heat

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Basically what Gary said. Common on older guns.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

More like what is at the surface of the metal - ferrocyanate which is aslo called prussian blue. As it degrades the deep blue color is degrading headed towards red. You should also notice that wonderful old gun smell which is the cyanate decomposing into ammonia with a distict urine smell.

Not unique to Perazzi although you don't see that purple color much as blueing usually gets worn off before it ages to that point.

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

If the gun isn't 50 years old, I associate purple bluing with a poorly done job. There is a Perazzi on some website that I saw for sale recently that was PURPLE! Not blue or black, but serious PURPLE!! I'd have that gun at the shop before I even took it home:)

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Avalde, explain winchester super x1's, perazzi's, 1100's. All factory originals that have parts turn to plum.

My understanding is its the metal and the bluing needs to be tweaked to prevent it.

7. Avaldes

That is my understanding as well. That the bluing isn't as high quality as the rest of the gun. When I say "high quality" I mean it isn't formulated or applied in a way that results in a long lasting deep blue. When you send a gun to a great shop (Glenrock and many others) for a re-blue, it comes back looking fabulous and lasts a long time. I would call that a better quality process.

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I think it's the metal also. My 870 is like that, but only the barrel ring that goes over the mag tube. I think that part is simply a different steel that doesn't blue the same as everything else.

9. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

Do winchester 97's and perazzi's monthly. Its like Avaldes says it's the differance of someone knowing what their doing and some that thinks they know.
    Haven't had a problem getting them deep midnight blue.

Bruce

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Redone Ruger pistols really turn purple, it's ugley! AJ

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

High nickel or chrome content in the steel is harder to blue and typically turns the plum color...I have a old Rem M700 7mm Mag and the barrel is plumish...the high chrome/nickel content Remington explained was to extend barrel and throat life with the heavy super slow powder charges

12. jrb100

jrb100 Member

Avaldes,
    The perazzi I think you are refering to was a tm1 serial#148,Which I bought off this site off a very very well known and respected member on this board and yes the receiver is plum color.The gun is in great shape and functions perfectly,so don't judge judge a book by the cover.

joe

13. Avaldes

I'm a slave to asthetics:) A new blue job is cheap compared to serious repairs!

14. Avaldes

BTW, with a serial number that low, that gun must be at least 40 years old. Is that original blue or was it redone?

15. jrb100

jrb100 Member

The rest of the blue looks too good to be original unless it sat in a safe for along time.

joe

16. 7815wayne

7815wayne Member

I have a TM1 that could use a reblue. Would like to avoid the purple hue described in this post. Where should I send it? Wayne

17. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Wolfram is confusing old gun smell with old man smell.

18. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I have a Ruger GP-100 that was bought in the first year of production (1986) that has changed to a distinct plum color over the years.

The frame is more "purple" than the cylinder.

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've seen Leupold scopes turn purple....

20. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

I have an early TM-1 that the top lever,trigger guard, and eventually receiver started changing to purple color with age. I had it reblued and guess what? After four or five years the purple tint started to return! I had Doug Braker nickel the receiver and problem seems solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.