Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

purified handicap average

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  870 
#1 ·
How much lower than the average do "abnormally low scores" have to be in order that they be deleted on a 1000 target review?

And.....let's say in the last 1000 targets that there're two "abnormally low scores" (let's say a 66 & a 67 with the remaining eight scores in the high 80's & low to mid 90's).......assuming the two scores in the 60's are deleted, is the average figured on the remaining eight scores or does the computer go back and pick up two scores previous to replace the deleted ones?

John C. Saubak

#2 ·
John- As explained to me several years ago by John Norris, the computer does not consider scores that are 10% or more below the average. These are thrown out for the 1000 bird review. In the example you gave above, the computer would wait for the next 200 birds to be entered before it made a 1000 target review.

Pat Ireland

#4 ·
Pat, I think the low scores, a max of two are dropped and the average is re-calculated on the remaining 800.

Page 65 of the on-line rule book:

"PURIFIED AVERAGE is best explained as the shooter’s handicap average after disregarding up to two handicap scores that deviate more than 10% below the shooter’s average." Jim

#6 ·
shot410ga - I am not certain how often the computer generates a review. I believe it is about once each month, perhaps every two weeks. If you shoot 1400 targets between reviews, the computer makes a change based on the 1400 targets and the counter for the next reduction is set back to 0. If the computer generates a review and you only have 800 targets, the 800 remain for the next review. The computer also reviews the targets in the order that they are entered into the computer. That is very often different than the order in which they were shot.

Guy- I understand with empathy. For my average, the term deviant would be better than purify. Looking at my card, I am struck with the computer striving to purify a pile of .... (can't use that term on this family site).

Pat Ireland

#7 ·
Peter asked: "Where is the logic in only throwing out the low score? Either the high score or the low could be a fluke"

They aren't trying to throw out "fluke" scores. It would not make sense to throw out high scores because you obviously had the abilty to shoot them. They are throwing out abnormally low scores because they could be due to poor weather conditions, sandbagging etc. that aren't representative of your ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.