Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

--->Purified Average

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Gavin 
#1 ·
The ATA rule book, pg 26, para H.1.a talks about a purified average "(the average with abnormally low scores deleted)" so what is an "abnormally low score?" I didn't see that defined. Could it be a score that is more than 10 targets from the handicap shooter highest score in that series of 1000 targets? or is it something else?

Thank you

Gavin

#2 ·
This is something that honesty and common sense is supposed to dictate. You can not regulate each and every little detail.

The folks that don't try to cheat the system don't have to worry about it and the ones that do cheat don't ever last long.

Just go out there and do your best every time and the rules will take care of themselves.

John

#3 ·
Gavin- I can tell you how I do it. If I classify a shooter who has a 93.9 (class B) average I will look for both very low scores and very high scores. If the shooter has a few scores in the 70's or several scores of 98-100, I will move him into class A. If another shooter with the same average steps up and all of his scores are between 91 and 95, that shooter may end up in class B. I also look for past wins and ties to help me make a decision. You always must be fair to the individual shooter and to all of the other shooters. It is a judgment decision. When I make one of these decisions that are close, I mark the shooters name. Later on during the shoot when things get slow, I pull up the shooters record and discuss my decision with the other people who are classifying. Almost always we agree.

If a shooter believes he has been incorrectly classified, he is welcome to appeal to another person who is classifying or to the shoot management.

I always talk with the shooter when I make these judgments. When I ask a shooter "you are right on the line between A and B... what do you think is fair?". Nearly all of them will say "put me in class A".

Pat Ireland

#6 ·
First, it's explained at page 64 of the rulebook. Second, I think the poster is asking about handicap reductions, not classification for singles or doubles since he mentioned "purified average", and that tern is used in relation to the 1,000 target review process.

#7 ·
All summer my singles average ran in the high 90,s and I shot A class all summer. This Fall I got out an old Model 12 I shot back in the 70,s and shot singles with it first time I,d shot the gun for over 30 years I broke a 76 . So do you think with the 76 I can now shoot B class ?

My shooten buddy said I was nuts for shooting this gun and would ruin a good average but I know the score (76) will never be a factor in classifying .

#8 ·
Thanks everybody for you comments

I found the answer "in the back of the book" as you suggested. Its in the 1000 target review section. Basically it says to calculate the handicap average and any scores that are more than 10% of the shooters average are excluded and the handicap average is then recalculated.

Cheers
Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.