1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Purebred English Pointer free in Prescott Az

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

--- On Mon, 12/21/09, Cullen & Robyn <ajax@gbis.com> wrote:

Subject: Know anyone in Prescott, AZ? that loves pointers?
    To: "Rusty LaFrance" <rusty@codusa.com>, "Douglas Scott" <wireguy4756@yahoo.com>
    Date: Monday, December 21, 2009, 6:50 PM

Hi Rusty,
    Please post to anyone you know who loves pointers.....
    Sadly, he is just one of many - and this time of year is terrible.
    Thanks!
    Robyn

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Tom?? Please, Someone grab him. Good luck, Bob

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I sent the information to all my AZ friends and guess who responded? Tom Strunk is calling the shelter to make arrangements to help the dog!!!! He'll call me in a bit as he finds out all the information needed to rescue this fine looking Pointer! Lord knows he doesn't need another bird dog as he already has 5 bird dogs!! He'll find him a good home with someone that appreciates a good dog! Stay tuned!

Hap

4. Bob Hawkes

That's the Tom I meant Hap. Thank you so much. Good hunting, Bob

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I also have 5 and if push came to shove I would go get him. Problem for me is there is no habitat in San Diego County and fewer hunters every year.

6. dws

dws TS Member

Tom and Hap

Good Going !

May your kindness be repaid.

Dennis Skudney

7. emm2

emm2 Member

Hap you are the man.

8. Hap MecTweaks

emm2, thank you for saying that but I merely forwarded the information I'd received from Doug S.(wireguy)!

Tom called the HS in Prescott and found out an important piece of information concerning this dog. The lady said the dog has an aggressive demeanor toward other dogs. Tom also talked with a very well known dog trainer here in AZ and found out the HS wouldn't allow the trainer to snake proof their dogs because an electronic collar is used to simulate a snake bite!! Would this also mean they may have problems with a bird hunter adopting one of their bird dogs too? According to the trainer, his agreement with the local HS to snake proof several dogs was stymied by HS headquarters!! All because of the electronic collars are used!! What a bunch of idiots!!

In closing, I still don't know how this will play out. I've also looked for an English Pointer rescue group that would accept the dog without finding out much.

I've always felt that people, not dogs, need to be licensed and tested before owning a dog!!

Hap

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Not looking good at this point. I am afraid they're going to put him down because they won't release him to an individual because he shows some dog aggression even though that may be nothing but kennel stress. They already know he does great on leash, walking, etc.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Greeny Weeny Numbskulls. Call the Fox channel News in Phoenix. Make a nice heart tugger at Christmas.

11. Bob Hawkes

Appreciate the effort Tom. If in fact that is a real issue with him, you sure don't need problems for your buddies. Too bad, shows the lack of care and familiarization he had as a pup. Best wishes, Bob

12. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Has this dog been taken by anyone??

13. Hap MecTweaks

Please if you can help call 928-445-2666 . Tell them you will rescue MAX. Urgent!!

Hap

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

From my friend Robyn from whom I got the original information:

Robyn i am on the road .. good news ..cold wet noses in tucson will pick him up at 2p .. they have a behavoirist etc .. goosd rescue group .. thanks for all ypur efforts ...could you do me a favor .. can you email the big group and let them know ..and thx agai ..paula in snowy denver

maybe ask hap/tom to hold on making a fuss - so we can get this dog safe ---
    and then maybe do something

it is a rare shelter that will allow someone to take the dog off the property -
    the SPCA here in Reno allows it - can take the dog for a few hours/the day ---

the shelter should at least let joe public come in and meet the dog and evaluate on the
    property or nearby (usually there is some property around the shelter)......

poor dogs --- esp. the ones that might be OK but people don't know how to work with them ---

thanks Doug

15. Hap MecTweaks

Golly!!! I had no idea I was making such a "fuss"? Evidently Tom doesn't either as we only wanted to find a home for the English Pointer that was due to be put down within hours?

That mild bit I posted above was only my fuse burning, it was a long way from the explosive part.

I'm certainly glad to hear the dog will at least have a chance now, that's great news!! Thanks Doug!

Gene Hapney

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

She was just running out the door to work when she wrote me that so she didn't have time to put together a more explanatory note. What she was getting at was don't worry about contacting Fox because the dog was being picked up. Gonna be interesting to find out how they assess the dog.

17. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Just found out about this thread.

Hap, I believe that Robyn was refering to contacting Fox news about this. As she will have the dog picked up around 2:00 no one needs to call in Fox news.

As you stated I did everything I could to get the dog. I would have kept it here as I have plenty of room with sections fenced off and two very nice kennels that are hardly ever used. I would have then tried to find a good home for the dog with a loving family that will hunt the dog.

I called everyone I could think of to help get the dog out of the Humane Society in Prescott including two friends that have training kennels and are also guides, Juniper Ridge Kennels in Ash Fork, AZ is run by Jay Amos, he was close to Prescott but has a kennel full of dogs being trained and couldn't help. The other friend was a trainer/guide/author that Hap refered to about the snake breaking, his name is Web Parton, from Oracle, AZ. He really wanted to help, but told me that he has had the same problems trying to adopt a dog that I had. They only want to let the dog go to a rescue group.

In conclusion I will be happy to keep the dog if need be until we can find a good home for it. My cell phone is 928-970-1249 if I can help in any way. I love my bird dogs and all others.

Tom Strunk

18. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I had a English pointer that was this way, but not to his litter mates. One of the best pointers I have had and a great gard dog.lol He was out of smoke pole in middle Tn. After what I just when through this outrages me about putting a dog down when there is guys that would love to have a chance to have such a beautiful creature at there side.

thanks
    lee

and merry Christmas!

19. Hap MecTweaks

I posted Fox news number on the 22nd and didn't know till this evening the 23rd the dog was to be picked up at 2:00 pm today. I deleted that post. Like Doug, I hope Max gets a fair shake in another new strange environment.

Hap

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thank you guys. You are saints - well at least that's what they say down at the bar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.