1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pure lead for shot????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I have a chance to get 9-12 buckets or more of pure lead powder. It is 99% pure lead. By adding antimony, can this be made suitable for shot making?

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yes, The antimony will give it hardness.

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Thanks, where do I buy antimony?

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

At the Antimony Store. HMB

5. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Do a Google search on 'the antimony man' and you'll find his website. He has other bullet casting stuff for sale also.

6. joshif

joshif TS Member

According to an old Lyman Bullet casting article in the first edition loading manual, you need tin to make the antimony homogonous with the lead. Otherwise you'll have molecules of antimony surrounded by molecules of lead,it may appear hard but it ain't the same if it was smelted right.You have to heat the antimony to an extremely high temp,1700? and then blend in the lead and tin. I'd sell the pure lead to muzzle loaders and get some wheel weights and forget about it.If you want to make the pure lead work, make up #2 Lyman bullet alloy.It makes great shot.Lots of luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pure lead shot