1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Purdey or H&H

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by englishupland, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishupland

englishupland Member

I have been offered a good deal on a few guns from an estate...I am interested in 2 of them.

An H&H back-action hammerless sidelock, and a Purdey hammer gun....The others don't interest me much....

They are relatively close on price.

Which would you prefer, and why? I can't decide, and can't have both at this point.

Thanks for opinions

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have never handled a fine hammer gun but I did own a "bar-in-wood" (back action) H&H. It was a fine gun and not too expensive. I guess the answer lies in what you want to do with the gun. Will it be used for hunting or be a beautiful decoration? To me, that is the whole issue.

I assume that they are in equally good condition and of comparable grade. Do you know when they were made?

I would be interested in hearing what you chose and why.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

H&H a lot more durable

Purdy a lot more mechanical problems

Purdy tends to be fit to an individual and probably wont fit you

Purdy will have a lot lower resale value because of the above and will be hard to sell in the future if your interests change

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Contrary to some opinions expressed here Purdey is still the standard against which English "best"guns are measured.Certainly Holland,Boss,Westley Richards and others are excellent...Purdey's still what they're compared to.Pick the one you like.Both were bespoke guns but a good gunsmith/stocker can probably fit you.
    There are more events for older guns now than ever before,pick one and enjoy it.

6. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

I'd go for the hammerless (H&H in this case).

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Both are great guns and I wish I could have one of each. If you can buy then both do so. I don't think you will be sorry if you do.

8. englishupland

englishupland Member

The H&H is in better shape and is a round body model..It is a little more in terms of cost.
    The Purdey will need a refinish.

The H&H seems much more practical, has longer barrel which I like and is self-cocking...

But a Purdey, is a Purdey...And I know they have begun making hammer guns again, and there are vintage shoots for them...

I'm still on the fence, but have to decide very soon..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

h&h hammer gun

purdey back action hammer gun