1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Purdey, Holland or Boss ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by englishupland, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishupland

englishupland Member

We(group of friends) are having a interesting, albiet petty argument about who is more pretigious and which would you rather own.....I said H&H, but some disagree with me...

So now the burden of proof is on trapshooters!

2. bundy4

bundy4 Member

These three English gunmakers you speak of are the best of the best. But each one of them has made guns better than the other two. You need to take each unit on an individual basis. I have seen some Hollands better than some Purdeys and some Purdeys better than other hollands. There a lot of factors involved. I have game guns made by all three and if I had to generalize about these three I would have to say for the last 100 years Boss & Co. has been the most consistent and I feel is the best gun maker of the three. As far as now days, there is a former Purdey man making the best guns in the U K today, his name is Peter Nelson. His guns start at well over 100,000 B.P.S.

3. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Fabbri....goddess of the hunt if I win the lotto......30" barrels, choked 7&10. l.g.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

It's hard to win the argument as there's no absolute truth in the answer of which is the best.

Holland and Holland definitely is the most famous English name for gun maker. Harris John Holland, the founder is the only one among the three that never worked for Joseph Manton. He was a great sportsman and a tobacconist, and a musician. But as a very successful business man, he senses and meets his customer's needs in gun making business, his nephew, Henry Holland is also a astute businessman, he succeed his uncle's success.

Thomas Boss worked under his father, William Boss, for Joseph Manton till 1816, he started his own company but most of his work was done for James Purdey at the time.

James Purdey was a blacksmith's son who also named James, he got into gun making business because his sister Martha married a gun maker Thomas Hutchinson. He later work for Manton to learn making better guns.

I own and shot all three brands with multiple samples, compare to certain Italian makers, I'd say they are all over priced for what it is, and require much more routine maintenance.

If you must, I can only tell you that J. Purdey holds more Royal warrants than the others. The Queen shoots Purdey.

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Kind of like "what is the best dog?"

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I would go with how you listed thing already. Purdey, H+H and then Boss.

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Purdey for shotguns,H&H for double rifles,Boss for enigmatic class. Purdey holds the best resale value. Forced to buy one,Purdey,Boss & H&H in that order. And it would be a 20 ga with 30" bbls

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Not all Purdey's were "made" in England. I persopnally know of two American gunmakers who were sent raw parts from Purdey to "finish" - that is, to fit and assemble into a finished gun. That in my mind does not diminish their mystique or value. But if anyone thinks that there is some magic to a gun made in England, this bit of info should lay that to rest.

The H&H is perhaops the mose copied design of the three with several Spanish makers using the H&H designs and the parts are interchangeable with the original.

Personally, I prefer the high-end Italian SxS at the moment, but that was not the question.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

19th century design in the 21st century.. Look at Seitz or Mach1 in a SBT.. and I'll even include Alfermann..as alot of what he has done is a vast improvment over what is out there..

Seitz,Flodmann,Caprius, and The O/U Dennis never built would get my vote for 21st century guns..

While the British guns are excellent.. I think they are vastly over rated..Fabbri can easily go heads up with any of them.. and a non mass produced Perazzi could make the grade too.. There are ALOT of Italian guns.. as well as many other British gunmakers who also do excellent work..

Most of the British gunmakers stores I went into..had a very poor attitude towards American shooters.. How could we possibly know what was right for them..??? Putting all that aside.. Holland and Holland treated me the best.. and Boss the worst..

My knee jerk question was the same for all of them.. Could I get a extra 28 gauge barrel for the 12 gauge frame... Oh my G-d.. You'd thought I called their mother a whore... Anyway.. The Italian way seems much better.. You have money??? What would you like.. It will be special made for you.. You'll have it next week-- or.. maybe before you die..(sorry.. the Italian way LOL)..

Ok.. I'm bored.. All Good.. Mike

10. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

You'll have it next week-- or.. maybe before you die.. HA!, great line Mike...

A fellow, Gary O. received a matched pair of BOSS, 20 gauge and let us see them at the sporting club five years ago. They were perfect! I couldn't believe and still don't understand why they were both the same, 30" .20 gauge 1 of 2, and 2 of 2. They might have been choked differently, but still, talk about CONSPICUOUS CONSUMPTION!@

HEY, IF YOU GOT IT, FLAUNT IT,.... THAT'S THE MILLIONAIRES MOTTO.

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

SS, they do make them with two barrels in different chokes combination, here's my Purdey two barrel set with 1/2 & F (M/F) in barrel one, 1/4 & 3/4 (IC/IM) in barrel two. Both 29-1/4"

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"> Picture1-1.png </a>

12. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

The question was why Gary bought two identical guns. .... In case one breaks in the field the gun boy can hand him a backup, or is it just the fast and furious dove shooting in Argentina? Your loaded second gun at the ready, Sur.... And both those pieces (while intelligently O/U) had those crazy, useless straight stocks without a pistol grip to hold..... boo hoo!

Ps - can you adopt me?

13. Alpha_Three_Niner

Alpha_Three_Niner TS Member

In my opinion, I would say Boss, Purdey, and then the Holland. However, I would also add that all three are excellent guns. I do have a beautiful Purdey Trap gun (SXS, VR, 28", Straight Stock, Beavertail Fore-end) and a Holland. I don't consider owning a converted Rook Rifle in .410 as being a pure Holland owner... LOL!

14. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Nice Purdey 410 side by side shotgun on gun broker for $150,000.00

15. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

A Purdey hammer gun is a beautiful thing. The only thing that beats shooting a hammer Purdey is uh....... Nothing beats shooting a Purdey hammer gun. Lord Ripon shot Purdey hammer guns. That should be a good enough endorsement for anybody. Larry

16. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

To me, a Purdey has always been the ultimate dream. I don't know if it's the best but to me it would be the ultimate

17. englishupland

englishupland Member

Purdey or Boss hammer gun, or Holland hammmerless backaction?

18. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

One interesting thing about the British "best" guns is that properly restored and/or refinished examples are still worth a small forture.

"Restore" a Winchester 21, LC Smith, or high end Beretta...they are then worth a fraction of their original value.

19. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Personal preference but I've always liked Woodwards.Don't forget Westley Richards in any discussion of fine English guns,their "droplock" is unique.

20. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sportshot: a matched pair of guns are for European driven bird shoots. Pheasants, red grouse, Perdiz etc. You are assigned a shooting butt and a loader. Take two birds out in front, swap guns with the loader, and take two more going away. Very expensive!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
holland & holland vs purdey
holland and holland or purdey
holland and holland trap gun

holland and holland vs purdey

purdey or holland and holland
purdey versus holland and holland versus boss and company

purdey vs holland and holland

purdy vs holland and holland