1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PURCHASING AN OLD REMINGTON 870 TC FROM THE 60'S!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

PURCHASING AN OLD REMINGTON 870 TC FROM THE 60

HELLO:
    I AM PURCHASING A BEAUTIFUL REM 870 TC made in the 60's, has beautiful wood, cut checkering, only 1 thing i am not happy about, the owner ordered the gun with a 28 inch full choke, instead of a 30 inch barrel. the gun is priced right, but that 28 inch barrel will devalue the gun. i have never shot an 870 with a 28inch barrel before for trap. i use 30inch, or have used sometimes used a 34 inch barrel. what can i expect shooting a 28 inch barrel? i would think handicap would be harder with a shorter sighting barrel. do you think scores will go down with the shorter barrel?
    steve balistreri

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

shootlow:
    i want to keep the gun original. i would need a 30inch full choke from the 60's. the ribs are different than todays.
    steve

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Make sure and keep the 28" barrel. The old TC's had better barrels than the TB's, out of the factory. If your 28" barrel has no production stamps on either side it's a true TC barrel. I'd shoot it though before purchasing a 30". I'll bet it shoots a ton at long yardage.

If the barrel has a few stamped production marks, it isn't the original barrel anyway.

4. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

If it turns out you don't like it with the 28" barrel, I would like the chance to buy it from you.

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

In my opinion the best thing to do is just take it for a test drive with an open mind about whether you NEED a 30 inch barrel or not. You might find you like it better than you thought you would.

I was brought up in a family that thought a 30" full choke gun was "The Only" thing one could properly hunt with. Ducks, quail, whatever. Later in life I had the good fortune to aquire a Win model 12 20 gauge with a factory 25-1/2 inch modified barrel that I sent to Simmons many years ago and had them put a rib on it. That gun fits so well that the quickness of getting on a bird made up for the longer barrel with a tighter choke. I hardly ever used a 30 inch full choke gun to hunt with again. Still have have that old 20 gauge model 12, and there would be a lot of my other guns that I would part with long before it goes.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Fill a couple hulls with shot and crimp shut, put in magazine tube ahead of the spring (put the mouths facin each other), and the weight will counteract the short barrel. Or go find one of those old 16 oz mag tube weights Remmy used to sell. Or get a hunk of brass.

Now wasn't that easy?

HM

7. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Steve,
    If you can talk Luther out of that 34" barrel, I would gladly trade you my 30" Tc barrel for it. Mine has perfect blueing.Good luck.

8. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

I bought a 28" barrel with Remchoke at Cabelas specifically for my 15 year old to shoot. (870 TB vintage 1972) My thinking was that it would be easier to handle & less chance for him to get arm weary during a squad. I put a full choke in it.

I shot on about three targets it to make sure it could smack targets. (I didn't have time yet to pattern it)

My son (Murphy) has only shot about 10 squads in his entire life. On Sept. 20, and having not shot since May, he broke his first 25 straight and each one was a good solid break. He is not a fast shooter either.

I am confident your 28" barrel could do just fine, if you like it.

js

9. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

PURCHASING AN OLD REMINGTON 870 TC FROM THE 60

Buy my 31 TC from the 1940's!

On sale for a bit more here till I put it on Gunbroker

Regards
    Lou

10. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

i was told the "tb" and "tc" guns were exactly the same except the "tc" has cut checkering vs. stamped checering on the "tb" models. as far as two inches in barrel length. I think it would definately swing a little faster and point a little different on handi's, but I bet if you do your part it will be just fine.

11. Barry C. Roach

eatingclays, respectfully, you were told wrong. The 60's 870's TC, TD and TF grades all had special barrels.

12. Barry C. Roach

Additionally, I don't think 28" trap barrels were even offered back then. Maybe you could order them in the 'F' grade but not the TC's. By-the-way, eatingclays is right about the checkering. The TB's were stamped or 'pressed' and the TC's were machine cut. The TC's usually had better wood, as well.

13. BMC

BMC Member

Bought an 870 recently from a fellow club member. It had the 28" fixed mod barrel. The entire gun is lighter than what I am used to, but not too light to be a problem. To my surprise the 28" mod would smoke them hard from the 16. It seemed to be choked quite similar to my fixed full BT100 and Briley full in my XT. A friend gave me a 30" fixed full so I can have a two barrel set up. The 30" fixed full is one tight SOB. From the 27 yard line it can flat out ink targets when on them right. None of my other full choke guns can do that with that kind of authority.

14. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

Shoot the 28" barrel and be happy! You may be surprised at how handy, yet "disciplined", an 870 trap gun with one of these barrels can be...kind of like a single barrel break gun with a 32" barrel. You might even find out that the "less draggy" 28" barrel helps you shoot better handicap scores. (One thing is for sure. If your barrel shoots typical "tighter than Old Nick's hatband" patterns, there is very little likelihood that handicap targets will slip through.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 tc 30 fixed full choke vs other trap guns