1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Purchasing a Browning Bt 99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jmnay_83, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmnay_83

Jmnay_83 TS Member

I have been shooting trap for the last 4 or 5 years on a noncompetitive basis, but would like to get a little more serious about it. I have always had browning guns so I thought that my first competition trap gun should be a browning, but I have a couple of questions about them first.

1. Which model should I buy and why?
    2. Which barrell length should I buy?
    3. What store or dealer has the best prices?
    4. What brand of shell shoots best from this gun?

I would appreciate any help that you guys could give me and thanks in advance. John Nay

2. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I shot a bt99 34 inch i love it . They shot a little flat and little hard on recoil kickeez pad helped alot . new at scheels $1050.00 with out a comb .But i'm going to put after market alot nicer and cheaper.

3. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Well, the answer to your first question would be; it depends on what you are willing to spend. Really, a plain BT-99 with a conventional stock is good, and if needed, you can get an adjustable comb cut. I have one with Browning's comb set up, and I just am not a big fan of it, it just seems kind of cheap to me. 2. Barrel length is a personal preference, you only have two to choose from, 32 or 34, whatever floats your boat I guess. 4. Don't really have a good answer to that, someone else who has bought more NEW guns than myself may be able to help out on that. And 5. Mine shoots good with my own reloads, and I've seen them shoot good with gun clubs, AA's, STS's and Kemen's...So pretty much anything. Hope this helps, Josh.

4. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I shoot a BT-99 and it breaks plenty of targets!! Only buy it if it fits you though! My BT has just about zero recoil, and I can shoot for days! However this won't be the case for you if it doesn't fit for you. As far as barrel length, whatever you want. I shoot a 34" with extended chokes. I would suggest extended chokes so you have something of a difference between the 4 or 5 other BT's on the rack. Anything that that has a hull, powder, primer, wad, and shot will shoot great out of it! I've never heard of anyone saying that one shell works better than another for a particular gun anyway. New in store price is always competitive so where ever you get it, chances are it's the best price.
    -Trappy

5. Jmnay_83

Jmnay_83 TS Member

I have done alot of reading about the bt line on the internet. I have about $2500 saved but, could save more for the golden clays version if it would be worth it. I usually shoot AAs or STS unless my uncle has extra reloads for me to shoot. John

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

John,

I shoot a BT99 Plus. You can usually pick them up for $1200 to $1600. They have an adjustable rib, comb, LOP and built-in recoil device. As such, you have a good chance of getting a good fit and setup. Some are 32 some are 34, both with tubes.

Spend the money you save on shells to get better.

7. mike T

mike T Member

John,
    with the money you have saved you should be able to purchase an Browning XT o/u. Then you could shoot all the trap games. Jaquas in the July trap and field have an XT top single combo "NEW" with caase for 2995 Look around on the net at the gun dealers they have good deals. I have heard good things about the indiana gun club. A bt is a great gun and I have owned many. mostly older ones from the 70's bought a new one in 2003 did not like it something felt different and I did not like that it did not eject the shells.
    Too late this year but you could go to the Grand and shoot lots of different guns. As far as shells go, like stated above the AA and STS and Federals all shoot good. I know people have good luck with the other brands but I like the Big 3 so I can reload them and not have to worry. Good luck
    mike t

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

BT's are great entry guns. One advantage is they break to a lesser angle than a 2 piper, and after you have one a while you will know the difference.

I have owned 7 or 8, and some liked me and others didn't.

I think I can get my old good one back, will start working on the guy pretty soon.

Meanwhile 2 Berettas sit in the safe growing moss, and I shoot a 90T.

Buy a 34 MC like Jack says, and get an adjustable comb and pad on it. Put on a Kickeeze or rocker pad and You will be good for a long time that way.

HM

9. Jmnay_83

Jmnay_83 TS Member

Thanks for all of the info guys. It is greatly appreciated.

10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Get the BT-99 in a 34" barrel. I have a Gray laminate with a nickel barrel LTD.
    I also have a GraCoil LOP and not in the photo I had a Ajustable comb put in the MC stock. It is a nice shootin gun and look good also.

11. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Hey Jack...

I may have someone looking for a BT99 or BT100 micro... You ever run across any of them, and what do they typically run?

It is a lady shooter, and she was thinking about a Browning Recoilless.. I wasn't sure I could give that a ringing endorsement...

BTW.... Kind of a bummer about your clubs QB situation... We have a couple of good high school QB's around here they may want to consider signing... hehehe, sorry had to do it...

Catch you later,

LWL

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

MIA thats a real nice BT-99. It hard to see in the photo but it look like gold birds? Is that a pigion grade? Any way it still a very nice looking gun.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Kraiza, I have a very few of those nickel laminated BT-99's in stock if anyone's interested. They are a really nice gun!!

14. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I have a new BT99 with the 34" bbl.
    with the full tube in it shotts pretty flat, with the IM tube in it it shoots about 70/30 and thats what I use from the 16 to 20 yd line.
    Thay are a great singles trap gun. I got this one from the local sportsmans warehouse for under 1k, last one thay had, was on sale and with my veterans discount....so I bought it and ran, made in march of 2008 by Miroku.

Guns unlimited on Omaha NE sells them for $1224 new also FYI.Jerrys Sport Center (JSC) has those lamintaed BT99s for 1169.95 in the last flyer.

15. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

BT-99 shooters. Yeah!! I, too, shoot a BT-99... an oldie but a goodie - 1970 issue. I recently shot my first 100 straight with it. I love this gun. I do have an XT to shoot for doubles.

You know, I just talked to a friend of mine from San Antonio earlier this week, and something he said kind of bothered me and has been sticking in my brain. H said that if I want to move up to the next level of competition and get my overall average into the mid-to-upper 90's, I need to switch guns. He said that I have the skill, but need better equipment. By that, he means switching to a Krieghoff, Perazzi, Kolar, whatever. He said that when you look at all of the top shooters, none of them are shooting Brownings.

As you can tell by my handle, I love Brownings... especially my BT-99. Everybody in my family has a BT-99 (Mom, Dad, sister, and myself). In fact, my Dad took his all the way to 26 yds back in the 70s before he had to stop shooting registered (I guess us kids got expensive).

Anyway, I love my BT-99, and I believe I shoot it well. I have never even thought about switching guns, so my friend's comments stunned me. I get a lot of good-natured ribbing about shooting my BT-99... especially from a Beretta guy in north TX, but this is a great shooter - a friend that I respect.

So, what are y'all's thoughts?

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

BrowningGal,

Just visit the thread where it talks about the 65 year old new shooter that shot a 199 at the Grand with a '97 Winchester. This sport is what you make of it. Big money guns don't mean big time scores.

ec90t

17. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Hoosier Daddy, your post is what started getting my mind back on track and prompted my post. I've got the first TTA zone shoot for 2009 state team qualification coming up in a couple weeks, and the last thing I need is to doubt my equipment. Thanks for your input!!

18. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I just purchased a BT-99 Pigeon grade made in 1988. I've only gotten to use it three times & my scores have improved each time I've shot it. It has a crisp 3# pull trigger with absolutely no creep......is that the case for all 99's or maybe this one has had a trigger job done? Either way it's the best shotgun trigger that I have ever used......love it!

19. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I've had my gun since I was 14 and never measured the trigger... until last weekend. A friend had a gauge, and I measured just for kicks. 3.4 lbs. You're right, no creep. Not one of the family BT-99's has a squishy trigger. All of ours are vintage (two 1968s, one 1969, and one 1970).

20. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

With that kind of money you should be able to afford a vintage BT-98.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best year of browning bt-99

bt 99 with adjustable comb 12 ga 34 inch with grey coil

bt-99 conventional trigger

what shell shoots best out of browning bt-99