1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Purchased Gun Here W/Defects Undisclosed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jmunsell, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

I purchased a BT99 Plus and the gun has a few defects I wasn't told about and well I guess that's what I get for buying a used gun. Now one day I would like to get them fixed and I know one is fixable which is a nickel size patch of finish missing in the finish but is it possible to do a spot repair or just live with it. Now the other is much more complex. Where the barrel rib meets the receiver rib is off just a little like about 1/16th of an inch. Nothing else is off on the barrel at all and the barrel was replaced and fitted by midwestgunworks from what I was told but not yet confirmed. I will confirm this however. I have shot it and I shot a 25 from the 16 yard first time out which surprised me. What ya all think?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well, the seller should have disclosed everything about the gun, and overlooking a nickel size area of missing finish is something that absolutely should have been mentioned. As to the rib not lining up by 1/16", I dunno on a hinge gun. On a Rem 870, 1100 or 1187 that's normal.

The real question is are you otherwise happy with the gun? Shooting a 25 the first time out indicates you have a winner there.

3. jmunsell

Yeah I love the gun that's why I haven't created a big issue of it. Just really looking to see if I can get the issues fixed.

4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Did you have a 3 day try period or a return if not happy. Was the deal good enough that it doesn't matter? Shoot well and often. Jake

5. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Also to add to the above posts, would you have paid what you paid anyways even if the defects were well documented? Or did the guy get an $150.00 - $200.00 out of you?

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

If it operates fine and you clearly said you shoot well with it, I would not get too excited. It is a used gun. A wear mark on the finish would be normal. The rib line up does not bother the shooting, if the barrel fits properly from a functional point of view, it would be good to me.

I am not putting your choice of gun down in any way, especially since the BT-99 has been proven durable and dependable for so many years. Keep in mind, that even when it was new, it was the lowest price single barrel trap gun on the market. Shoot it and enjoy the scores, don't worry about things that do not really matter.

7. jmunsell

I would of probably offered less for it and not bought it at his price if I knew of the defects. What I'm really asking is can a spot repair be done on the finish and can the barrel rib be lined up?

8. JT 27

JT 27 Member

What did you pay for the gun? Most used guns will show some wear, the amount of wear will determine the value. Very good example is a Perazzi MX 8 for $1850 posted here. A lot of visible wear. As new would bring close to or over $4000. As is would probably cost $1500 to get it to look new.

9. philk

philk Member

I`d like to see a pic of the rib not lineing up ,that sounds down right goofy.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you move the rib the POI will change.

Leave it alone.

HM

11. high 2

high 2 Member

If the bad spot on the finish isn't all the way in the wood I can usually patch the spot where it won't look too bad. If its through to wood it usually is a pain in the butt. You never know if and how much color has been added to the wood or finish. Larry

12. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Pictures?

13. jmunsell

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He had tape warped around this area and claimed it was there so he knew where his hand was positioned. He also said he had this refinished at one time. Poor job of refinishing. One day I want to have it refinished properly.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would have been pissed and sent it back requesting a full refund

15. jmunsell

Well he claims I did the damage to the finish when I pulled some tape off he had around that area claiming it was there so he knew where he was placing his hand when he mounted the gun to fire. Funny thing about that is he had to take it to a gunsmith to have a release trigger put in it which if I'm not wrong the tape would have had to of been remover at that time to change that since the tape was around the trigger tang. The tape I removed was fresh tape. The gunsmith may have done it and if removing tape peeled off the finish that must of been a poor finish job. He did say he had it refinished at some point. I guess I learned my lesson on buying used guns I;m not seeing with my own eyes. Never again will I buy without seeing.

16. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sorry, you got hosed.

17. jmunsell

When I have money I will get it fixed. Any idea what it will cost for a GOOD refinish job and to move the rib?

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If it's tight and you paid $600-$700 you probably still did OK. If you paid over $850 you definitely got hosed. Anywhere in between, depends on what the rest of the gun looks like.

Never forget -- risk is all part of the online gun buying game.

-Gary

19. jmunsell

I paid $1850 assuming from what I was told it was in perfect shape. I see another plus on trapshooters right now for $2000 and it has the stock recoil system which is crap. This one does have a gracoil on it and it is a Plus. It feels like new when you open it. I have only been at this since Sept. and was just looking for something that would last a bit till I'm gone so I could leave my kids.

20. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

After looking at your photos I wouldnt bother doing anything with the rib. Its shooting where you look.Any changes would for sure change the POI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.