1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Purchase opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HoosierHawk95, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

I am fairly new to trap shooting and currently shoot an SKB undersingle. I would lilke to buy a new combo gun so I can shoot doubles as well as singles and handicap. I want to purchase something in the $4,000-$6,000 range. I have received favorable opinions on the Beretta 682 and Browning Citori and Cynergy. I have also heard really good things about the Ceasar Guerini's from a few shooters that are shooting them. Curious about opinions that experienced shooters might have, preferably shooters who have had experience with the guns I have mentioned. I want a gun that will hold up for the next several years. I am currently shooting around 5,000 targets a year. I am not interested in running down anyone's gun, just wanting some opinions as to the guns mentioned.

I plan on shooting all three mentioned at the Grand. Thanks for your help.

2. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I started with a SKB combo. My next one was a Browning XT combo from Guns Unlimited. My next one was a 687 Joel Etchens combo and now I have a Guerini magnus combo. All of the guns mentioned will go bang when you pull the trigger. I will say I never had any problems with any of them.
    This is my opinion and my opinion only. The CG is hands down the better of them with no close seconds. Its in a class of the higher end guns. The one thing where the CG shines is a lifetime warranty and 3 free tune ups once a year when you need them. The folks at CG are the very best people to work with period. They will bend over back words for you if you have any problems or questions.
    I don't like mentioning a CG in the same class as the other three mentioned. In my eyes it should be mentioned with the P and K guns. There that good of a gun.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

IndianaMan. Any of those guns will get you to whare you want to go. Perhaps not the Cynergy, since I hear that no one wants to put a release trigger in them, but the XT, the 682, and the CG will all do the job. From my perspective I think your road test should try and determine which of these guns shoot where yo look. Geive that some emphasis. Too, get a gun that has an adj comb at a minimum. Rib adjustments can be annoying and often disconcerting, and too the ribs on some of these guns are like holding onto a kite in a crosswind. All of these guns have their ardent followers, and you haave asked those folks to be objective. Not likely possible. As you look at these guns remember that the value of these guns drops 10% as you hand over your check, and another 10% after the first box of shells you put thru the gun. Adn another 5 to 10% as you have and outside gunsmith make an alteration to the gun that you absolutely cannot live without.

But Sparta is a candy store of blued steel and shiny varnish. Look around, do it a second time, shoot the gun of your choice, and look around again.

Jack

4. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hawk

I know a K-80 combo isnt on your list but for 1500 (plus or minus) more you could find a nice K-80
    Look around at the grand or online
    It will give you better resale and it will hold up better in the long run

As one stated above they all go bang....

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Pick up a set of barrels for your SKB and spend the cash on targets.

6. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

Thanks to all who responded. Your opinons are valued and important to me. I do plan on shooting all of the guns that I am thinking about purchasing. Thanks again.

7. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be afraid to look a good used Perazzi combo, older models can be bought at much lower prices...these are work-horse guns and will last.
    Good luck, puablo

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Before you buy a combo, my two cents worth...Since doubles is so different than singles or handicap, I would suggest that often a combo is a compromise...you may find that the single shot is great, but the O/U is not quite as effective for you. 2 guns, each of which works great for you, is my preferred way to approach it, albeit a bit more expensive. BUT, if you do decide on a combo, look at the new CG Top-single...very interesting gun.

WNCRob

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

You are spot on when you want a combo. Do not even think about getting two different guns for doing singles and doubles targets. There is a large advantage of bringing your shoulder into the the same stock, for every shot. Now gun choice? Well Brownings are tough as nails, and have the resale to boot. The CG gun is Too new for me. Let other shooters break them first. The gun for me is also too light. P&K guns just too expensive save the cash for targets. Beretta...well never been a big fan.

GS

10. shooter 50

shooter 50 TS Member

I have had the browning cynergy unsingle combo for a little over a year. It has performed very well for me. Jimmy Kennedy, New Mexico

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

I will second the opinion of buying a good used K-80 combo. They can be had for $6500-8000 and you will lose little or nothing if you trade it.

I was going to get a used K-32 until guys who I respect told me to get a K-80. It was great advice and I have not regretted it once.

A good used Perazzi is another good option.

Lesser guns are, and always will be, lesser guns.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.