1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pup gets sick in the dog box while traveling

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Surveyor, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

New pointer pup, 12wks old, gets sick in the box even on short trips.
    He rides in the cab fine, no problems, but in the back in the box, look out.
    Big mess.

Any one have an idea how to get him over this?

Thanks.
    Todd

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sounds like you answered your own question. Fido rides shotgun from now on?

3. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

do you have dual exh on your truck coming out the back and not the sides, the fumes may be causing this. Also if it has side windows that the pup can see out of try putting something over them to see if it is motion sickness.

thanks
    lee

4. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Yes, there are side windows. Never thought of covering them up. I'll try that, we are on the way to the trap range, I think I'll take him with us.
    Thanks Lee.

Exhaust comes out the back. Should be well behind him. I think it's that he's scared or somrthing.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

get a smaller dog crate and dont feed him for several hours before you go-

He will probably get accustomed to this-- but in a larger crate they go to the bathroom or throwup for some reason- must think its a condo- if you dont have a small puppy size crate you can devise some barrier- but you can usually find a used one for sale

Gene

6. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Thanks Gene,
    Yeah it's a puppy sized crate that he sleeps in at night. No accidents inside the crate as long as it's not in the back of the p/u.

7. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

I have tried not feeding him at all, till we get home, but he will throw up bile if his stomache is empty.

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Pup is scared when he rides in a box...but not in the cab...so confine him in an even smaller box, that he can't see anything out of?

Am I hearing that right?

9. g7777777

Well buzz here is how it works- the smaller box works like a den- dogs are den animals

its a basic of crate training that you want a small ( and dark box)

The same works for learning to ride in a vehicle-- thats why they make crate covers or some people tape black garbage bags around them ( also this deadens noise and keeps the wind out)

So buzz- this is pretty well accepted stuff===

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Let 'im ride up in the cab

John C. Saubak

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Try turning the opening in the crate to face forward. If he's facing the open end and it's facing away from your direction of travel, that may be screwing up his equalibrium.

12. Surveyor

Surveyor TS Member

Well, we made it about 100ft before he puked, and the other as well.

Pulled him out cleaned him up and put him in the cab.

He rode peacefully sleeping in the floorboard all the way out to the gun range. He played out there while we shot a round of trap and then he slept in the floor again all the way back home.

I think this dog is just smarter than I had given him credit, he has just figured out how to ride in style.

13. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

good doggy!!!LOL

14. g7777777

He made it on the floor because he had already pooped and vomited- he was empty

just spring for a smaller crate- one he doesnt have much room in---

use the larger crate when he is older

regards from Iowa

Gene

15. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

My dog did the same thing. I just took him out of the crate. I ran a chain from one side of the box to the other in the eyelets closests to the cab. Then tied a rope to the chain in the center of the box. The rope is long enough for him to stick his head over the side but not long enough to jump out and touch the ground. He likes it a lot better.

16. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Check with your vet first, but I use benedryl.

17. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Sounds like the dog is smarter than...........oh well, I think you understand!

AndyH ;-)

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

Oh come on, guys...can't we give Gene's idea of squashing the pup into a small dark isolation box another chance? It works for the puppy mills - surely it will work for you.

Come on guys, let's chant with Gene:

"Squash the pup!"

"Squash the pup!"

"Squash the pup!"

19. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

try putting the pup in the crate and put the crate in the front seat with you and praise him to let him know that it is all right to be in the the Crate wile riding with you and see if that helps. Guys it's a pup it needs reassurance, not stuck in the hole {so to speak}.lol Also may I ask where you are located.

thanks
    lee

20. g7777777

Buzz Gun- its not my idea but thanks- I learned it from other people and from reading- plus 30 years of experience--- I think the AKC even has this in some of their literature.

I have personally seen the same error made by others- because you naturally dont want to buy a crate that the pup is going to grow out of. When they did purchase a smaller crate they were successful, if they did so relatively soon after getting the pup. Its like anything, you try to prevent a pup from learning it can poop anywhere. Smaller crate= den evironment= pup not wanting to soil its own den.

Buzz-Gun- you might want to become educated on this before you just start ranting and raving.

thanks

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.