1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

punches

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootertoo, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

I went to a reg. shoot yesterday and earned a 1/2 yd. along with two other shooters with a 95. I'm not complaining but it brought up the subject of earned yardage with scores below a 96. I've seen a punch given with a high score of 89 on a cold and windy day. Personally, I don't think there should any punches given below 96. What say you?

2. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

I say take the punch and be happy you had a good day.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The punch ceiling should be 97.

4. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Actually, I'm not disappointed with getting a punch especially after slump I've been in, what seems like forever! Just would have meant more to me if it would have been for a mandatory 96. Maybe next time?

5. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

OH NO Setterman, I would never get off the 22 yd. line!!!!

6. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

I believe that you should not earn a punch for a winning score that would otherwise warrant a reduction. Therefore if the current cutoff point is 90% average for earning a reduction, no score below a 90 should receive a punch.

IMO, earning a punch for a score below a 90 does not demonstrate mastery of your current yardage, regardless of weather conditions. It just results in shooters being over handicapped and potentially non-competitive.

One can break many 94's and 95's at big shoots and never get a whiff of a punch, but go to a moderately attended spring shoot and get punched for scores in the mid 80's...to me, it doesn't make sense.

Handicap shooting immediately penalize the successful shooter for a good day. Before long all but the very best are penalized beyond a point where they are no longer competitive. The very best, by the way, are never penalized to a point where they are less competitive. All it takes is to shoot another 1000 handicap targets and perhaps as many singles at $30.00 per hundred before a reduction is considered. Most likely, it will cost you five times the amount you won, to get back to a point where you are once again competitive.

Play Dead

7. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Well put and I agree Play Dead.

8. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

It does not matter what one thinks, it is a rule and complaining on here is not produdctive. If the memnership wants it changed, go thru proper channels. Rules are rules and there has to be rules otherwise everyone would just shoot practice. John

9. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I think a 95 should get an automatic 1/2 yd. 96 a full yd. 97,98 & 99 1 and 1/2 yds and a 100 strait should get 2yds.

( FLAME ON BROTHERS ) :)

10. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

But, what about the times someone shoots a 97 and gets nothing? A friend has shot 97 twice this past season and received no punch. He said management said there wasn't enough shooters? What is the cutoff? How many shooters do you need in your yardage group?

(Edit: I wonder if my friend confused his Single's score with his Handicap scores? Shootata.com says otherwise.) :)

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

97 is good for at least a 1 yard punch regardless of the number of shooters.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yep. As long as the minimum to hold the shoot is met.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Getting 1/2 yard punched until you are no longer competitive is what makes people quit this sport. I figure last years 2 yard reduction was an honest attempt to correct this problem. Who knows how many people didn't quit or started shooting handicap again because they thought the 2 yard reduction would bring their competitiveness back? A 1 yard reduction usually has little, if any effect (in my case neither did a 2 yard reduction) ;-).

In my perfect world, only the winner would get a (1 yard) punch. That way all of the runners up could come back the next shoot and slug it out for 1st again, not be punched into oblivion. I know, the clubs wouldn't like the shootoffs (guess you could do coin flips), but at least the runnerup wouldn't be getting penalized (punched) as well as not ending up in the money. Oh well, "Dreams is what makes life tolerable.".

14. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Well, there are leaders and then there are followers. Leaders are the ones who are always looking for ways to improve whatever is in front of them. Others, like bcnu, are followers who simply accept the status quo. To share opinions and ideas is the surest way to avoid mistakes moving forward. Isn't that how progress is made?

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If I remember right if there are 15 or more shooters at the shoot punches can be given. If there are less then 15 shooter then there will be no punches given.

16. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Utah York:

If it is a registered event, Old Cowboy's answer above is correct. 97 must get at least a 1 yard punch at a registered shoot. Scores of 96 or greater get punched automatically even if less than the number of shooters per the table Auctioneer mentions.

I think you only need 3 shooters to register the event, so your club might have a problem if what you say is true.

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The number of shooters will determine if yardage is earned.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Gary is more right than Auctioneer...

By rule, 3 shooters minimum for an event/shoot.

15 shooters for an event to give "winner" punches...does not pertain to yardage group.+

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

From Section IV Paragraph D sub Paragraph 5

5. Any score of 97, 98 and 99 or winning a total of $750.00 or more (option
    and added money) in a single handicap event will automatically earn
    1 yard, and a score of 100 or winning a total of $1,200.00 or more
    (option and added money) in a single handicap event will automatically
    earn 1-1/2 yards provided these scores do not earn at least that much
    under the earned yardage table.

I guess that would mean that if there aren't enough shooter to use the earned yardage table they would still get the automatic yardage.

Bob Lawless

20. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I read on the ATA Delegate Meeting thread that in the new Target Year the earned yardage table has been changed to require 25 shooters for a half yard and 50 shooters for a full yard. This seems like a positive step to encourage more people to enter the Handicap Event at a small shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.