1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Punch on big 50

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ljutic111, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

No punch whatsoever in a Big 50 shoot . In fact I believe there shouldn`t be a punch unless it`s at a major shoot or money involved . Too many shooters receive punches when it was pure luck and get discouraged when they can`t continue to break good scores and haven`t the time or money to get better . Sandbaggers knowing the ropes will drop a few at the end giving all the credit to you . What that is doing is eliminating a lot of people from competing at more events and staying in the ATA . Seen it happen too many times . More could be said for this but I`ll stop at that .

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, we have to answer the following question. Is a punch prize, equivalent to a trophy, for fine shooting, or is it a penalty that will make future good scores more difficult.

And, since shooters are split on the answer to the above question, all other questions about awarding punches can only be discussed without reaching a resolution.

Pat Ireland

3. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Punches for 50 and 75 bird shoots have been around longer than the Big-50's.

Kip

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Pat is entirely correct. There are some shooters out there who see a punch as a penalty. If they get one, it takes away some of their ability to win money from other shooters. There are other shooters who see a punch as a reward for shooting a good score, and a chance to improve their skills by making the game a little harder. I fall into the second group. Forgive the pun, but I'm "pleased as punch" that I earned two yards in the last few weeks to finally make it to the 27, and that I outshot one of Idaho's finest shooters last weekend when we were on the same handicap squad in my first registered shoot from the 27. I'm also pleased that Wednesday night at practice I shot two rounds of 24 of 25 from the 27 with one ounce loads. 25 would have been better, but after years of struggling with handicap, I'm happy to see things finally starting to come around. By the way, I also shot one round from the 20, and broke all 25. It sure seems easier from up there than it used to be, but I'm not looking to move up so I can take some newbie's money.

5. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

I'm with Pat on this one. I find great satisfaction getting honor punches, and have taken 50 punches with appreciation.

Maltzie

6. station12

station12 TS Member

I also take a punch as a compliment. I just started shooting handicap this year and on my first state shoot in handicap I got a 5.5 yard punch. I was kind of excited to get the punch.

7. SR1

SR1 TS Member

If you dont want a punch on a 50 bird event then DONT shoot it pretty simple I think.

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

LJUTIC 111 So we are going to have shooters on the 20 yard line that win every weekend with high 90,s because they don,t shoot BIG shoots ? Every hear of reductions . Your idea is just fine if we all shot at the bigger shoots we don,t . A 96 is a half yard and should be a win with 15 or more shooters you get a yard no problem . If you can,t handle 20.5 or the 21 yard line you can get a reduction . Kind of simple ??

ALF

9. griffonexpress

griffonexpress TS Member

I would like to give my veiws on punches. As a mediocre shooter I reguard the punch as a penalty. I have shot registered targets for 13 years, and have come to the conclusion that I'm NOT a long yardage shooter.When I first started shooting registered targets it took almost 4 years to off the 20 yard line.Without ever winning a handicap event I slowly worked back to the 26 yard line(shooting a few 96's and coming in second for 1/2 yard punches).There I found myself stuggling, going to the line thinking if I can only keep an 8 in front of my score. I finally started getting a few reductions, and my score are more respectable. My opinion is, not everyone can be as compete at the longer yardages.For me to be "some what" competitive I have to stay below a certain yardage. At that yardages I can go to the line thinking, if I get lucky, and have a good day, I can compete with the long yardage shooters(who consistently have scores in the high 90's), rather than going to the line hoping I don't embarass myself. I wish I had the ability to stand on the 27 yard line and consistantly break scores in the 90's, but I don't
    Just my veiws

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I thought the "Big 50" was a money sub-event of the handicap. If you run 50 on the correct pair of traps you get to claim a chunk of money - in some cases, 1-2 thousand bucks or more. Does this qualify as one of those "money punches"? If it does, then I guess the punch is "fair".

I got a punch at a 50 target event at the Grand one year they were overloaded with shooters. - I believe it was a half-yard for a 47 and no money. Now that sucked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.