1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pumping gas issue

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DIXIE SPECIAL 25, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

I am having issues pumping gas into my car..it pops the lever about 3/8 to 1/2 gallon. No matter what I do it just doesnt work...venting it , jamming it in all the way to the max etc etc..any thoughts? Thanks Bernie

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Try holding the pump nozzle upside down as you pump. Sounds silly but sometimes that works. If that doesn't work, try pulling the nozzle halfway or more out of the tank and pump. I had a pick-up truck that did this often. The reason this is happening is too much pressure is built up in your fuel tank and it is tripping the back pressure valve in the pump which is there to shutoff the pump when your tank is full. You could even have a clogged vent line.

3. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

Matt..tried all the above as you mentioned. I have to find the vent if one exists... Thanks

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

Happens in my truck also. I think you have to start out slowly, until a siphon affect starts in the filler tube. Otherwise it backs up quickly, before it starts down the filler tube, shutting down the nozzle. Also, leave the nozzle slightly pulled out a bit, so it is not so far down the tube.

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

It's the foam triggering the sensor. Not much you can do about it.

It has to do with how your vehicle's fuel tank pipe was designed, I have an Expedition that if I keep pumping, it will take 8 gallons more after it first popped, other two Mercedes can only take 0.5 gallon after it popped.

6. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

I have tried everything everybody has mentioned..this just started about a month ago.. I gotta loook to see if it has a vent...raining today so I will look in better weather..

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

Throwing this out there just for a thought, did you have a blow out on the tire in the wheel well below the gas filler tube?

The reason I ask is a while ago I had a tread separation on the tire by the filler on my pickup, and when the tread came loose it bent the tube and my truck did the same thing until I bent it back

8. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

No, didnt have a flat tire.. thanks

9. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Have happen at our Costco.

I talked to their personnel, and it is an EPA requirement to prevent overflow spillage.
    Pain the the touché

Dave

10. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

$2.99 in St. Louis area today. Down from $3.05 yesterday.

11. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

Wingmaster 78- Huh?

12. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Dixie, would be helpful to know make and model. Thatb said it is probobally a evap. system vent valve stuck shut. Very common problem. look into it I believe you will be headed in proper direction.

13. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

Pumps in St. Louis have a "vapor recory system" on the nozzle. Basically a rubber boot over the nozzle that is supposed to form a seal at the tank inlet to trap vapor and fumes fromm escaping to the air. Makes it a pain in the a$$ to pump gas sometimes.

I was also commenting earlier that reular gas here is at $2.99 a gallon, down from $3.05 a gallon yesterday.

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Is it a GM? Had that problem on an Impala it needed a purge vent by the filler neck in quarter panel. Dealer said it was a common problem.

15. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

Its an 02 Hyyundia accent..got it free 6 years ago..it has 130K miles on it now.. I drive it to work..

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I feel your pain. I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler that does the same thing. Jackie B.

17. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

If you only have 130 miles on it in 6 years, maybe the tank is still full???

What do you think????

Gas is $3.57 here.

18. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Active Member

Had it happen on Chevy Colorado, same as Bill Grill said...purge vent.

19. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

130 K MILES.. sorry. I have tried 6 different gas stations. I have no way to fix it myself..looked at it and I dont have the resources ( garage, lift etc) to fix it. I will have to see what it will cost to fix it..and balance it out from there. I can live with it if its way too much to fix. Its a good commuter car, but it will get donated if any major issues with tranny or engine. Thanks all..

20. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

HAVE SEEN IT A FEW TIMES ON VARIOUS MAKES. SPIDER EGG SACK IN THE VENT HOSE WILL DO IT. BLOWING THROUGH IT SEEMS OPEN BUT DOES NOT PROVIDE ENOUGH FLOW FOR SENSITIVE GAS NOZZLES. USUALLY RUNNING A COAT HANGER OR A TURBO SNAKE THROUGH WILL REMOVE IT. A STUCK ROLLOVER VALVE WILL DO IT TOO.

JOE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.