1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Puma Lever Rifle...anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimx200, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimx200

jimx200 Member

I ran across a as new, with box, Puma lever action rifle, in 45LC. It appears to be a very well made gun. I am thinking this would make a nice pig shooter for some brushy hunting. Yes, I know their are lots of caliber choices that may be better, but I like the looks/feel of this one. Anyone have experience with these Puma's?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The new Pumas are definitely far better than the Winchester/USRA Model 94's converted to handgun cartridges, but they are behind the Marlin 1894 and 1894 Cowboy models for quality. If you have the money, get the Marlin 1894.

3. whos your daddy

whos your daddy TS Member

I had a Marlin in 44 mag and it would get into a bind when ejecting shells/ I traded for the winchester 44 mag and it's slick as can be/ I would have to disagree with Brian on this one. I don't have a great deal of experience with lever guns, I just purchased this one because there is a rumor going around that we may be able to hunt deer in Indiana with one in the near future.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Whos your daddy,

The law is already on the books! 357 mag, 41 mag, 44 mag,45 lc. These calibers only. This is in effect for this coming season.

ec90t

5. hms365

hms365 TS Member

I've got a Puma in .357 and LOVE it. I am getting approx 500 fps increase from a max reload v. a 6" revolver. Personally, I really like the dark wood, although some people don't like it.

6. Brian in Oregon

whos your daddy, your experience runs 180 degrees from the majority of cowboy shooters, who have found that the altered Winchester/USRA 1894 is not nearly as reliable as the Marlin 1894. There have been exceptions, and your situation bears this out.

7. marshal

marshal TS Member

I have one in 454 casul. Shot me a pig with it too. ive been told i was fortunate to get one wich is so slick out fo the box. i also was told the 45lc dose not have the same rifling as the 454 wich is better for those long heavy projectiles such as a 335gr or 370gr wbfn solid cast custom loads we use on them hogs. But i wouldn't let that detur you. The speed this gun shoulders at makes it one of those guns you can enjoy stalking with and getting up close and personal. Groups at a hundred yard means little in the thick woods next to speed and knockdown power. The 45 cal carbine gives you that in a fun package. Go get em!

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Jim, I have the same gun that you are talking about. I used it when I started cowboy action shooting. Shot it for years till I won a Marlin. They are good guns and the 45 should take care of a pig with the right ammo. They can be slicked up where they are as smooth as butter. Hope this helps.
    Gne J.

9. Brian in Oregon

BTW, does anyone here load blackpowder for their leverguns?<br>
    <br>
    I do, in 25-20 WCF, 45 Colt and 45-70. Cast my own bullets too. The 25-20 WCF bullets are cast from an antique mold and I use an antique hand loading tool.

10. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I myself like the Marlin over anything else. It is aproven rifle and a sound working rifle that I trust. If for ay reason you can find parts anywhere you go.

11. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

The Puma is made in Brazil by Rossi, and it is a slightly updated copy of the Winchester 1892 - the primary update being the use of a coil mainspring rather than the original's leaf spring.

They are fine guns - but if it's a carbine, make sure that the depression under the muzzle is centered. My first cowboy rifle was an older Rossi carbine, and that depression was off-center. The magazine plug retaining screw would turn in the depression under recoil until it walked all the way out - then the magazine slid forward about a quarter-inch and the shells in the magazine caught between the magazine tube and the receiver. This, naturally, happened right during a match.

But I've got one of the EMF imports now in .44M and I absolutely love it. Having had it worked over by the '92 guru, Nate Kiowa Jones (http://www.stevesgunz.com/), it's quite as slick as my 1917 original '92.

The '92 is more complex than the Marlin, and can't be run quite as fast due to the possibility of smokestacking the next round. But it is incredibly strong and unless you're competing in the upper ranks of SASS shooters (where you won't want the Marlin either), it should make no difference to you. It's a nice piece.

Tony

12. rman55

rman55 TS Member

I have a Puma 454 Casul for sale or trade for a Marlin or some other comparable caliber rifle that I can mount a scope on. I don't like the one I have because I can't put a scope on it and I don't shoot open sights well.

Ron

13. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Update. I ended up passing on the Puma. It's odd that the gun does not have the mfg. name or location anywhere on the gun. The thing I did not like is the tiny flip lever safety located on top of receiver. Anyway, I decided to look for a Marlin.

14. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Brian, I don't load the black powder, but a bunch of my friends load them for a shoot they have most Saturdays. The powder of choice is American Pioneer with Triple 7 next. Their overwhelming choice is the Marlin for a rifle and they lean toward the old calibers. Bill Malcolm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

whos got the puma on their gun