1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PULVERISING TARGETS, NEXT WEEK CHIPS & MISSES?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i started shooting trap in 1972. one of the things about shooting that has always confused me is this. one week i will be hitting targets with authority. huge black puff balls of smoke, i think to myself, this is the hardest hitting barrel i ever had. i go to the same club the next week, i have to look at my gun to make sure i didn't pick up the wrong gun. i go from pulversing targets one week, to chipping and missing targets the next week. how can this happen when no adjustments were made? is it the height of different trap houses? it sometimes feels like the poi changes. any ideas? one last thing, how do you good shooters handle the different height of trap houses from trap to trap. one club i was at, the first trap we shot on had a high trap house. the second trap was low into the ground, and 4 out of 5 shooters missed their first target out on the second round. how do you handle dufferent trap house heights, without missing a few targets at first?
    steve balistreri

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Obviously from what you say nothing about the gun has changed so it could be the way you mount the gun, your head placement on the stock, the speed at which you're shooting or any number of variations about your shooting style.

When you're smoking targets then chipping your way to fame and fortune have a friend or another shooter watch or video tape you to see if they can see any differences in your style.

Eric

3. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Good discussion. I'm looking forward to some comments. Food and exercise is one factor, I have never thought about the food part. Sleep and general self-confidence is another. And that can change from day to day. This subject does cross over from the technical to the mental management arena. Some people such as myself need to work on this more than others. Do what you gotta do to succeed.

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Have to agree with PBB, Food and fatigue makes a big difference. As you get tired the fine motor skills deteriorate including your ability to focus on moving objects. Simular results after eating a large meal. The body has a finite amount of blood. Do you want it digesting food or supplying the brain and muscles with extra oxygen while you shoot.

Jim

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Lifting your head, or taking your eyes off the target. Most lost targets or chipped targets, in my opinion, for the experanced shooter, is due to head lifting, or briefly taking your eyes off the target (looking at the bead placement in relation to the target). Everything being equal: gun is the same, shells are the same, no wind, ect. It's either head lifting or eyes off the target. And it doesent take very much off either issue to create a problem, especially on the back line.

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

you all mention things that i honestly have never considered before. i will be 57 shortly, as a kid i had good reflexes and was considered a good athlete. this is the only sport that i have participated in that i would consider myself below average. i sometimes wonder how i could hit a 95 mile per hour fastball, and i can't grasp the concept of hitting a target with a shotgun. this sport has roughly 72 different angles, i have hit every angle thousands of times, but trying to run a 25, 50, 75 or 100 is almost now out of my reach. i have the greatest admiration for veterans, senior veterans, that still shoot good to great scores. i honestly feel that everyone is exceptionaly good at some type of sport. maybe i just started to late in the shooting sports? maybe being left handed has had something to do with it, i don't really know? regardless, i love trapshooting. in all my years of shooting, i have had 1 registered 100 straight, and 1 non registerd one hundred straight. my son said to me the other day, atleast your still trying.
    steve balistreri

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

It also depends on your socks and your underwear, seriously it also depends on your socks and underwear.

If you wear newer socks that are thicker due to the newness vs. an old pair of socks than you will have a little more cushion under your feet and not only will your feet be more comfortable but you will also be slightly taller in your stance.

If you wear older underwear that are a little looser due to age vs. a newer pair of underwear than you will have a little more room and not only will you feel better and be more comfortable but you will also be slightly more relaxed in how you feel.

Seriously though sometimes there is no explanation other than ... it is the Gods talking to you.

Have you taken into consideration as to the whether? Humidiy? Temperature? Heck I have seen targets fly from the house, the gun go BOOM and withing a blindingly flash of time the target jump directly up 2 or more feet in the air and now fly off at an right or left angle only to begin to crumble a second or so later.

Sometimes it aint nothin but the dang targets and the whether.

8. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

IMO it could be a lot of things, I coach more than I shoot now days due to my kid taking all the available money for shells.

When my young ones have a problem it is usually due to diet, I have them working on cardio programs and doing gunlifts all during the week. I can tell just as soon as they have loaded up with sugar and caffeine. They crash and start chipping and chunking all over the place. This in turn affects their focus and they start barrel checking. This produces very low scores. Do some research on the effects of food on athletics. It amazed me when I did.

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Our physical and mental abilities wax and wane. That is why Tiger Woods doesn't hit every shot perfectly nor win every week. As Flip Wilson used to say, some days you're hot and some days you're not. However, the more talent you have and the more solid your skill set is that you have developed through practice, the smaller the swings in performance. In short, don't sweat the bad days and don't start changing things.

However, this is a relatively easy game to perform at a 90%+ level and if you are not doing that then their may certainly be some fundamental issues involved such as latent crossfiring, inconsistent gun mount, etc. That is where you need a QUALIFIED instructor.

10. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Newibus had a point on the old underwear, but I take it a step further. Just wear a pair of slacks with the butt blown out. Don't bother with underwear at all. You get better cooling and ventilation, it throws the competition off their game and it will keep the gnats out of your face.
    Dan

11. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

What a bunch of Crap!!!

Booger

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"...i go from pulverizing targets one week, to chipping and missing targets the next week."

Hell, I go from pulverizing targets one station, to chipping and missing targets the next station!!!! Even shot-to-shot!!!

13. srvfan

srvfan Member

Hello Steve,
    I a firm believer that we all shoot by an internal clock in regards
    to timing. If you are pulling the trigger in your timing frame and
    the target is there then Smoke Ball. If you step out of that clock
    time, chips and misses. Problem is it only takes a smidge to step
    out of that box to slight to notice.The only guys that can notice
    are the guys shooting 100x100 I think thats why they can do it all
    the time.Thats why they call it trapshooting because it traps you........
    Paul from Ca.

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Is the background your shooting against always the same? Cloudy, sunny, hazy, ect. Do you change shooting glasses? Lens colors? I find that now I'm over 50 the background and my vision is why I have ink balls, and chips. Wayne

15. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

That is the game. You should have learned that by now if you have been shooting for 35 years.

16. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Whatever else the issues might be, lefthandedness is not one of them, in fact, that is the best thing you have going for you.

Question:

When you are in a slump, do you go to tighter chokes or more open chokes?

Lefty

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

steve/seniorsmoke, is everything the same when this happens, same gun, shells, trap/background, lighting conditions?

18. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Steve:
    The only thing that can help you is me. If you will listen...We shot together once, at a state shoot. I broke the 200, in-spite of you screwin' around. Call Luther if you don't know who I am.......

19. kolar12

kolar12 Member

You do not need any lessons. You know how to shoot, I have seen you. You break targets up to your "ability" and then you puke. Your mind is telling you when to stop, I've had enough. Use the john before you go to the line, not while you are on it. You are playing a mind game with yourself. Don't think too much, it will get to you. "A left angle will kill me". Say that often enough and it will.

If you could handle the pressure while on the diamond, this should be a piece of cake. Remember what you did then. Repeat it now. Besides, now you look AAA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.