1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pulling ticks off dogs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bisi, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Is there an easier way to pull ticks off of a dog. A couple of days ago I let the beagle loose in a big field to chase a rabbit. In the last couple of days I have pulled at least 50 ticks off of her. Most are easy to get off, but the ones that attach themselves to her ears, face, and nose are a bitch. She doesn't like it too much and gets a little nippy.

A guy at the club told me to take a Qtip and dip it in alcohol and then apply to the tick. He said the tick will back out but it hasn't worked for me. I'm using a tweezer and I know I'm leaving the head of the tick in the dog when I do that. Any easier way?

The dog is on "Front Line Plus" but it hasn't seemed to work this spring. I gave her a bath with a flea and tick shampoo last night.

Just looking for an easier way to remove the ticks that have really dug themselves in. Somehow she has became a house dog, and I need to remove them nightly.

2. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Try a little Campho-phenique(sp?) on a cotton ball. Be careful around pup's eyes, though.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've pulled many off my Westie, easy to see as he's white.

I normally take tweezers and put in on the top and bottom of the tick's head as far as I can into the dog's skin and pull it off. I always get the tick and some of the dog's skin, but he doesn't seem to mind. This probably isn't the best way, but it works for me.

I've never tried alcohol, nor Camphor. I've also heard that you can paint it up with fingernail polish, but have never tried it. Also heard a lit match, but I don't think my hound would put up with that.

Call a good vet and ask him/her.

Whiz White

4. dhg

dhg TS Member

Dab them with vasoline, in a little while they'll back out.

5. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

If you want to get the ticks off NOW, touch them with the lit end of a cigarette and they will back out.

If you use Vaseline it is effective, but takes longer.

A doctor told me they use Vaseline to remove head lice in a lot of third world countries as it smothers them. Apparently it does the same to ticks.

6. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

vasoline works nicely!!

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

To loosen the tick move its head from side to side before you try to pull it out. That works because the tick's jaws are positioned left and right not up and down. You can also try placing a cotton ball dipped in liguid soap on the tick for about 30 seconds befoe you try to remove it.

Ticks are a big problem for humans too. There are quite a few tick borne diseases which are fatal to humans if left untreated. Babeosis is a single cell parasite that eats your blood cells. This is transmitted by ticks and is fatal is left untreated. Lyme disease is another and with the environmentalists banning and restricting the use of effective pesticides the tick population is growing at an alarming rate. HMB

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

JF, Do you have to have a perscription to get the Happy Jack stuff? I have been using Frontline Plus and it is kinda pricey. Jackie B.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have been pulling ticks off dogs with no ill effect on them for 55 or so years.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You have been very lucky. A lot of people have lyme disease and don't realize it. They think the aches and pains are just a product of growing old. The biggest problem is in the northeast where most of the effective pesticides have been banned. Some ticks are very small, head of a pin, you can get infected and not even know you were bitten. HMB

11. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

my vet gave me a tick removal tool. It is plastic and shaped like a hook with a fork on the end. You hook with tick the fork and twist it out. It has worked good for me.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The vasoline method works fine and you don't have to get something hot that close to the dogs skin. They say it's real important to get the head out and teh vasoline trick seems to be the only one that does this. My uncles used to use the end of a cigarette to make them back out when I was a kid. Semms like a good way to burn the dogs skin. Jeff

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've used Frontline for years and it does work when applied properly.

Problem with a dog living in the house with you when using it, the dog will get ticks when outside and they will crawl off the dog inside the house! Frontline keeps the tick from attaching to the dog, not getting on him. I started brushing mine really good after being outside in the weeds, worked pretty good to keep them out of the house.

If one does attach to the dog, use a Q-tip dabbed in lighter fluid and touch it to mr. tick, he'll be glad to back away from that meal. Gasoline may work too but I've never tried it. Hap

14. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

A very quick and painless way to remove ticks is with a small vial of common baby oil. With the lid off, hold the vial of babyoil over the tick and in seconds it will back it's self out. Seems the baby oil is thick enough and slick enough to get right up to the ticks head and the creature starts to sufficate right away.

I haven't had a tick problem since I moved from southern Oregon, but it worked great on the kids and dogs then, so should work now. Give it a try.

Tomas

15. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Can't remember where I heard it but one is NOT supposed to put anything hot (match, heated pin etc.) on a tick prior to pulling out as when the hot item touches the tick it "spews" contents of it's insides out into the animal or person. I just use a pair of tweezers and nip a little bit of the dogs skin with the tick. Head comes out every time. HAven't had much of a problem since I've been using Frontline.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

16. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Here in MN, I found the tick collar to be the best, and the Front-line second.

I've been using Frontline for the past few years, but still was pulling ticks from the neck area to the top of the head. I started using the collars and that stopped the ticks.

I could never figure out how the Frontline was really suppose to work when it is placed between the shoulder blades, while most of the ticks seem to crawl up the dog's chest and neck, then to the head.

I'll continue with the frontline, but will always keep a fresh tick collar handy.

By the way, even though we still had snow on the ground, and overnight lows in the 20's, the ticks here, are already putting on their best offense.

My wife jumped out of bed the other night, picking at a tick crawling on her forehead. I told her that maybe she should sleep on the sofa, as not to allow them to enter the bed!! That didn't fly.....and I ended up picking one off myself in the morning....eeerrrrrr!!

Doug Braker

17. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I had Beagles and a Bird Dog for years. I always pulled the ticks off them by getting my thumb and forefinger just as close to the dog's skin as possible. Get a firm grip with your thumb and finger. Then, when you have a good grip, pull quickly straight out from the dog's body. That has worked for me on thousands of ticks over the years.

Never had a dog (or me) get any diseases from ticks as far as I know.

I've never tried the Vaseline or baby oil method.

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have a little Shitzu and I buy the Frontline for the big dogs and only use 1/3rd of the dose and it is the same price but lasts 3 times a s long, no fleas no ticks yet.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

Gents, I am not a tick expert but i feel like one. You have never experienced ticks until you come to southern NJ in the pines. One year it was so bad at my place the ticks were crawling over the house like ants. I found them crawling on the carpets and walls inside. We had them in our vehicles. I would let the dog out and then have to put her in the pool because there were too many to pick off. I had lymes disease three times and two dogs that had it. The frontline does not keep the ticks off, it kills them when they burrow. I believe it puts a toxin in the dogs skin. I use it on my dogs and i find dead ticks, never a live one. Guys ever heard of Chiggers? You dont go in the woods by me in the summer time unless you want to be real miserable. They are smaller than flees and they look like a tiny tick. When they bite you they release a fluid into your skin that make you scratch until your bleeding. Worst thing is when you see one, that means you have hundreds on you. Next day you look like someone with a bad case of the chicken pocks. As for pulling ticks off, get a good grip on that little bastard and rip em out fast!!

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The reason they look like little ticks is because they are tick larva. Very nasty little fellows. The only good thing is they don't transmit the tick borne diseases. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.