1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pull trigger verses release trigger

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hinkton, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hinkton

Hinkton TS Member

If you shoot a pull trigger fine, is there any advantage switching to a release trigger?

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Only one. Your averages will go up.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you do go to a release and develope a flinch, where do you go from there????

Tron

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

To your psychiatrist. HMB

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

if you call it a thought process or whatever,when i shoot , which has only been since jan. pulling the trigger does not even cross my mind and i fell like if i had to release a trigger then it would be and then it would also take my concentration off something else. unless im mistaken you have to "pull" or as they say "set" a release trigger to then release it to fire correct?? so what is the point then?? seems like a lot going on, i think i will just look for a bird and break it.

bill

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well Jim, HMB beat me to it.

Tron

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Nada, zero, zilch and finally....None.

Curt

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

If you use a pull trigger and have no problems using a pull trigger; why even think of changing? In my case I flinched to a point where shooting was not fun anymore. The release trigger has given me decent scores and allowed me to enjoy the clay target games again. Ed

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A good release makes up for a bad pull trigger experience, fli^&%? It's gotta fire when you want it to fire.

Tough for me to find a decent pull trigger on most over/under shotguns I've tried because of the safety factor of doubling. Hap

10. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I'd been shooting an 1100 (pull trigger) for a long time and sometimes I got really hot with it (only sometimes, LOL!). When my club bought a PAT Trap, I found that the 1100 was for me woefully deficient for doubles trap. A fellow member sold me a 1960 Browning Broadway with release/pull (u/o), and I've become much more consistent (lots of 24's!). Anyway, did I need a release/pull trap gun? No, but I have gotten used to it and I really enjoy shooting a gun almost as old as me. Besides, I don't have to let anybody use my trap gun anymore; I just tell them "It's a release trigger!" Cheers!

LA

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

There is no increased advantage that Iam aware of and most of the good shooters that have had to go to a release fought the flinch as long as they could to not have to. With that said, remember your adding another item that can let you down. If you have to, do it! If you don't, then why?

12. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Hinkton,

Do you know what a flinch is? It isn't necessarily clenching, or twisting ones head, etc.... There are different extremes, but the best description of a flinch is that the gun just won't go off... It is like your trigger finger is paralyzed. It happened to me twice in one round, and I will never forget the odd feeling. The second time it happened, I literally stepped forward trying to pull the trigger.

A release trigger helps to eliminate this phenomena.... It may or may not help your average, based upon your skill level, and/or the problem you have...

LWL

13. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I always shot with the same squad when I could because we all shoot pull triggers.

I've received shrapnel hits three times in two years from guys who became inattentive with their release triggers. Being close to someone who uses a release trigger makes me very uneasy and I've used firearms continuously since 1960.

Morgan

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would not recommend going to a release trigger unless it is necessary. I require a release trigger and I do not consider them unsafe.

Pat Ireland

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

"I received shrapnel wounds 3 times in 2 years from guys who became inattentive with release triggers". Morgan: Guns with release triggers are discharged and cause injury, by careless handling of a firearm. I cannot fathom a fellow shooter being hit by shrapnel, when the gun is in the "firing position" and pointed down range. I never set my release until I am ready to call for a target. If my gun goes off, how on earth could I hit a fellow shooter with "shrapnel"? No one can be injured on the range by a gun alone. (Even with a release trigger)!! The gun is an inanimate object. Negligent handling of a firearm causes injury. Ed

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If Morgan has been hit by shrapnel as many times by release trigger shooters as he declares I'd suggest he wear a safety helmet while shooting. Maybe he's been hit too many times in the wrong places!!

17. laura!

laura! Member

I recently bought a gun that has a release trigger, my old gun has a pull trigger. I do not have a flinch. The guns are very similar. The old one is a 32" MX3 and the new is a 34" MX2000/8. The first time I shot the new gun my attention was divided between the targets & the trigger. The 2nd time I shot it I didn't think about the trigger at all & smoked the targets. It is very easy to get used to and I'm breaking the targets better. The better breaks could be because I'm shooting them faster because of the release; could also be due to a longer barrel & a gun that is perhaps choked better. Bottom line is I like the release. I would recommend trying one, they are not for everyone and don't listen to anyone who never has tried one.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Congratulations Laura on your switch to release. At one time it was unusual to find a female shooter using one but no more. One of the primary reasons for better breaks with the release is the issue of better trigger control. No more slapping at the trigger which reduces consistency-a very common problem with many shooters!!

19. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

There are two kinds of release shooters, those who do and those who will. Jake

20. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"I received shrapnel wounds 3 times in 2 years from guys who became inattentive with release triggers". Morgan: Guns with release triggers are discharged and cause injury, by careless handling of a firearm. I cannot fathom a fellow shooter being hit by shrapnel, when the gun is in the "firing position" and pointed down range"

I really did expect some anal comments from some of the release shooters in the peanut gallery...I wasn't disappointed.

Incident #1--Shooting from the 25 yard line, right-handed shooter to my right calls for but does not get a target...lowers gun across body and releases trigger...shot hits the river pebbles between us and I get hit in face and neck by shattered rock.

Incident #2--Shooting from 16 yard line on post 2, shooter on post 5 releases trigger while mounting the gun and hits the back of the trap house with a load of 3 1/4 dram #7 1/2 shot...2 shooters beside me get concrete block fragments in face and arms.

Incident #3--Shooting on post 2, shooter on post 3 repeatedly calls for target but does not get one. Lowers gun with left hand and is about to place muzzle on pad when he releases the trigger. Blows hole in pad and sends concrete chips and pellets into my leg and the leg of the shooter on post 4. He is untouched.

I didn't say these guys were bright or careful shooters and I didn't say it was the fault only of the gun. I DID say they were inattentive and that releases make me nervous. I think I have good reason despite what Old Doggie thinks!

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.