1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pull Trigger Technique

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Senior Smoke's discussion about flinching brought up the idea for this thread. Is it best to "pull" the trigger on a pull trigger, gently squeeze it, or slap it? I'm sure this has been discussed, but I don't remember a discussion, and didn't remember it on Kiner's or Campbell's videos.

It seems to me that with trap being a pointing shotgun sport, a pretty good slap of the trigger when you get the sight picture is logical.

Danny

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Only bad triggers should be slapped. HMB

3. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I dont slap my trigger it might get mad at me and make me look for a new one. The way I was taught by grandpa was to watch the bird your brain will do the rest.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

SR1- Your short post included a lot of useful information. I was taught the same thing by a many time All American. He told me to let the gun shoot itself.

Gregg535- Isn't it amazing how Leo can watch you shoot a few targets and identify mistakes you are making? He watched me shoot two handicap targets and pointed out that my gun barrel started out moving fast as the bird left the house but then began to slow down as it approached the target.

Pat Ireland

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Pull, .... quickly...

that is the answer...

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Usually you guys and girls come up with some really good information. I'm not sure I'm buying the "see the bird and the rest comes naturally" bit. You should be able to practice stance, hold points, look points, mount, swing, follow through, and other aspects of the sport. Why shouldn't you be able to practice when and how to pull the trigger?

If you see the bird and just let it happen, it seems to me you will depend in a large part on feel, and that can come and go from day to day. Some days you'll really have it, and some days you won't.

Also, I have maybe 5k rounds under my belt, total, in the last two years since I started shooting trap. When I have a couple of hundred thousand rounds behind me, maybe I can shoot better by feel. Until then, won't I be better off to develop a technique for putting the bead in the right spot with the right gun movement and then groove the trigger pull?

Danny

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

dmarbell The feel will come and at some point you will realize that the gun just goes off naturally when it should. You can only focus on one thing at a time as a human so that focus should be on what you want to hit NOT on your bead. That to will come with practice. Practicing all the pre launch stuff is great and should be a routine everytime you shoot but once the bird is in the air let your eyes, subconcious brain and trigger finger take over. If you try and think through a shot the odds are very good it will be a miss.
    Just my 2 pennies.

--- Chip King ---

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Danny,

Get a release trigger and pull no more.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Practice the proper technique. The more you practice the proper technique the greater the chance that when the subconscious takes over it will execute the shot using the proper technique and you will hit the target. What you want is to be able to enter the "zone". HMB

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

sarge, very good post guy! Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.