1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pull or Release

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BudsterXT, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I do not have a clue about pull or release triggers. Could anybody please explain them?

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Triggers

If you're serious, I'll do my best.

Normally, we pull the trigger to activate the firing mechanism, guns go bang,

Some people did this for an unknown amount of time, their body start to feel an unbearable pain from the recoil, eventually their brain start telling their finger not to pull the trigger anymore or your shoulder won't like the consequences. They call this flinch.

Then some genius figured out a way to cheat their brains by firing their guns on the release trigger, you pull the trigger to set the hook on the modified hammer, when you release it, it let go, gun goes bang.

Some people swear it's more natural to fire on let go, for some strange reason, my logic fail to understand this. But as long they don't shoot the trap house, I'm fine with it.

An interesting side note, this happened almost exclusively among ATA trap and some skeet shooters only.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Many use releases without having a flinch problem. Just find it a better method of precision trigger control. Much like the set trigger on a high precision target rifle. Generally it will take about 5 # of pull to set the trigger, then only 28 oz to release it....

Once you become familiar with it, switching between Pull and Release is not a problem. As a matter of fact, to compound it, many of us use a Release/Pull for doubles... quicker as there is one less finger movement required to fire the 2nd barrel... 2 vs. 3 for a pull trigger..

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

So with a release pull, i assume you release on your first shot and then pull your second? Is there any need to set or move anything quickly before your second shot? I have used a release trigger on a BT100 i used to have but never understood what you guys meant by release/pull.---Matt

5. BigM-Perazzi

Matt, that's it, release on first shot, then pull on 2nd...... Many do the release/release, but, I just never could get the timing right and since I don't have a f-flinch-h... I went with the release/pull.

Jim

6. grntitan

That was my next question, what the hell is a double release? I still miss my release trigger BT-100. I shot some of my best scores with that old matte black finished wore out BT.---Matt

7. BigM-Perazzi

well, in a dbl release, you release on the first bird, and while your eyes and gun are going to the 2nd bird, your subconcious tells your finger to set the trigger so when your ready you can release it again... yeah, I can't pat my stomach and chew gum at the same time either....lol

8. grntitan

That answers that for me as well. No double release for me either. Geez its all i can do to pull the trigger on 1 bird sometimes from a single barrel trap gun. Besides my subconcious tells me all kinda bad things to do. I certainly don't want to be listening to it while shooting. LOL

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Pull. I was almost shot by a fool with a release trigger.

10. BigM-Perazzi

Well, I've never been that pissed at you, but,........

11. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

If release triggers were banned me and about 30% of the of the ata shooters would stop shooting.

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I would stay pull as long as you can---I went to release too soon,now it's hard for me to go back to pull---However I shoot pull when I hunt birds or deer.Killed a runing deer last yr with a pull and nailed him---You figure that out---The brain is a crazy thing---George@SJB---

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I shoot a release in an 1100 for trap and occasionally some skeet, By choice not because of a flinch problem. All other shooting is with pull triggers. I don't have a problem going from one to another, even during the course of the same day. All that said I simply have not been able to master the release pull setup. I find the double release a lot easier to master.

Jim

14. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Thanks for the information. I never even thought of the different aspects to the release trigger.

I am glad i made this post. Thanks to everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.