1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Puffed Wheat/Rice as filler, top or bottom

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I'm playing with a reduced payload load. I need a filler. Way back, the old boys used Puffed Rice or Puffed Wheat as a filler. Placing it on the top of shot column has several advanges. Will it hurt the pattern if on top? I load PolyWad Spreaders, but the Puffed Wheat/Rice is much, much lighter than a PolyWad toadstool. And it would seem that the Puffed Wheat/Rice would go to dust when it was smashed against the crimp on firing.

Yeah, I know...go pattern and tell us what you discover. But it's cold, windy, miserable, and it's not safe to pattern after sipping anti-freeze.

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

A question from a newbie: Why would you want to reduce your load in this manner instead of going to a different wad for less shot? I'm sure there is a reason, but this is something new to me. Just trying to learn...

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Recurvy - I'm just experimenting. I'm not sure if my local dealer has the wads I need (he's cutting back on the lines he carries), and I'm not sure I want 500 of a wad I may not need cluttering up the reloading facility.

4. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

A few of us shoot a 7/8 oz 12 ga load and a 3/4 oz 20 ga load for skeet.
    There are no easily available wads for this reduced shot volume that we've discovered. There are reduced loads in most of the powder manufacturer's reloading manuals.

So,we drop a navy bean ( uncooked, of course ) on top of the shot and close the crimp. I made the mistake of dropping the bean in before the shot but soon discovered that the bean was crushed in the shot tube and plugged it up.

You will also find different brands of shells will have a smaller or larger internal volume and the navy bean, or other filler, may not be necessary to still attain a closed crimp.

One additional requirment is to be careful about getting the shells wet as the navy bean may start to germinate. Nothing more embarassing that have your shells start to "sprout" while shooting in front of your friends.

5. recurvyarcher

Thanks. That clears things up for me. Another thing to put in my bag of tricks.

Maybe that's where they got the idea for the clown's gun where flowers pop out of the barrel. :)

6. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Vic Rienders used popcorn on top of his spreader loads. He claimed it scattered the shot just right.

7. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I have used different things before I found the right configuration.

The best way would be to put some cardboard (paper) wads in the bottom of the shot cup. They are getting hard to find. I have a set of old wad cutters punches or whatever you want to call them but it is a pain.

Popcorn worked the best for me, hard, light, and 1 or 2 does the trick.

I suppose any light non explosive material could work. But the popcorn does work as for other things get a former buddy to try them out first. You know, here try this and I will get you a beer if you live.LOL

Rock

Jim

8. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I've used the bean trick on some Gun Clubs that were dished with one ounce loads. The PW doesn't get plugged. I didn't want to change my settings as the AA loaded fine perfectly. The Gun clubs needed a bit of filler. I tried some spent primers and it filled up the crimps so I invested in a couple of pounds of dried beans and haven't looked back.

HBT

9. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I used different sized beans and puffed wheat with success when I experimented with my 5/8 oz 12 ga loads. However, with 7/8 oz wads from Claybuster or Down Range and a properly adjusted MEC loader no filler is needed. If anyone is interested on how to adjust the loader, reply and I will post it.

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I've used several 'fillers', I've settled on dried Cheerios on top of the shot. On top because it's easier than dealing with a blocked shot-drop tube in my MEC.

Kip

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Per Kipling - "On top because it's easier than dealing with a blocked shot-drop tube in my MEC." As I suspected. Thank you Kipling. I'm reasonably sure a cheerio will go to dust at firing.

In the matter of beans, I'm thinking something like this will give the appearance of a broken target piece where there is none. That would be cheating IMHO, and so it is something I will avoid.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's not cheating, it's just a test of the scorers ability. HMB

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

mrskeet410, your puffed cereal with work. Get ready if shooting into a headwind. What volume of shot are you using?

14. recurvyarcher

Kip, glad you didn't use a wet cheerio. That would get pretty messy...

15. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I seriously doubt if a bean would survive intact after being kicked in the butt by 18 grains of rather fast burning powder crushing it against a load of shot that was trying its best to obey Newton's Laws of Physics.

But, I could be wrong. I was one other time that I remember.

HBT

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

A long time ago I would use a kernal of field corn as a filler. I would lay a kernal or 2 on top of the shot.

17. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Oh no. There goes the price of beans, popcorn and cereal due to higher demand. Now I'm going to have to start tracking these on the commodities market like I've been watching Kitco charts for lead. Bob(;-)

18. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Orville Redenbocker "it pops right every time" Jon

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

In the distant past, I have used popcorn and tissue paper (new, not used). A spent primer will also work, but a new primer would possibly open the pattern too much.

Pat Ireland

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pain in the ass.

Use the right wads.

The internet and mail order is a wonderful thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

home made wad fillers for shot shells

loaded puffed wheat

shotgun reloading rice filler