1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Public Adjuster?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dicksie, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Has anyone used a public adjuster for an insurance claim before? Would you recommend it over the insurance company adjuster?
    Dicksie

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

YES I have,they take a % of what you get above what the insurance company offered. I used one for a roof claim. The insurance would only pay for a small square area but after the dust cleared they paid to replace the roof and all the insulation underneath that was wet. The use of public adjuster was a huge difference and I would do it again......if you have a bogus claim they will bury you and rightly so, but if you are in the right they do help. Just my own experience.crab

3. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Mixed bag;some states require they be licensed,others don't.I';ve seen the results go both ways.

4. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

woatloweight,

What do you mean? did you use one or how have you dealt with them?
    Dicksie

5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I'm retired from 45 years as a senior ins exec.
    I encountered both good&bad deals resulting from PAs.In my opinion most adjusters try to be fair in loss adjustments.If your adjuster is treating you fairly then you just lost the % of the claim he charged.

6. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are a lot of great ins co adjusters. They must follow their co. guidelines. Some have a little lea way and some don't. There are a lot of poorly qualified co. people that follow the co. guidelines to the letter, right or wrong. The same goes for public adjusters. My suggestion is to go with your co adjuster and if you are not satisfied, you still have time to call private adjuster. If it is an auto claim, Pick a good quality shop and see what the shop suggests. They usually know who is good and who is not. 11 years as a journeyman bodyman, 10 years bodyshop manager and 20 years as an independent adjuster. Bill Hom

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

First of all you have to ask yourself why do you feel the need for a public adjuster?? Is your Co. Adj. treating you unfairly??? Where is your agent in these matters?? Realize that the object of the PA is to drive the amount of the claim up as they get a % of total amount. Once you select a PA you can no longer talk to your Co. Adj. or the company directly, you must deal through him.

Your asking a question that cannot be answered = they are all different and the cases are all different. I have never seen anyone really benefit from a PA and I equate them with ambulance chasing attorneys. Your case may be totally justified.

Of course I have only been in the Ins. business for 45+ years. Get with your agent, if he is worthless then fire him and get a new one.

Don

8. Rem29

Rem29 Member

I trusted my insurance company, didn't know the insurance company's adjuster from Adam. I called in a PA and yes they drove up the claim but by uncovering damages that the insurance adjuster never even mentioned nor looked for. This was for a kitchen fire. The PA stood by us throughout the repairs while my insurance company argued about every thing claimed. The irony was that they said they would not cover the installation of a ceramic insert in my countertop that they installed free in the past as a promotion for their company and to prevent counter top damage from occurring by placing a hot pan on the formica. I had to dig out a picture to prove that it was there. Bad all around experience. Do yourself a favor, change smoke detector batteries when you change the clocks and EVERY YEAR go around and video the contents of your house, open every door, drawer, nook and crannie, and cabinet to visually document what you own. Put video on flash drive, CD or whatever and store it at work or in a safety deposit box. I pray you never need it.

9. cnsane

cnsane Member

'Most insurance adjusters are fair'.
    Are you eff-ing ess-ing me. My first-hand experiences must have been isolated cases, over the course of a few decades and several insurance companies. I should probably believe what was typed above. After all, it was the first-hand experience of someone hired by an insurance company to make sure that their company didn't pay any more than the company thought they should.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

cn you might be the one who is effing off. The purpose of a Co. adjuster to make the insured "whole" not better or not worse. Are there adjustors trying to impress their bosses by bringing claims in low -yes. But they don't last. Cos don't want law suits, unhappy insureds or unhappy agents.

At he same time do you have any idea of how many insureds pad, falsify and outright lie to the adjustors or company about their claim?? Most.

All that said 90 to 95% of claims are handled with no problems. I read the reports that come back in from claimants, my two main companies send every claimant a letter asking then about their claim experience and seeking their response. If they are negative they go back to the claimant and try and make it right if wrong.

Don

11. cnsane

cnsane Member

Just because you say it, don't make it so, Don. But I'm sure low 8 appreciates that you've got his back.

And you are correct, lowballers don't last. But then they just hire another lowballer and the 'reduced' one goes off to work another insurance company. There's a reason insurance companies take the full two years to pay off cut and dried, witnessed claims. And it's not their 'insured' that are disgruntled, it's the people whom they owe legitimate claims that they obsfucate and drag their feet on.

And yes, insurance fraud is a big problem. So big that the companies have to try weaseling legitimate claims to help offset payouts to frauds with better lawyers.

And NO, 90-95% of claims are not handled with no problems. Reference Katrina and explain why State Farm, Allstate, Nation wide et. al. are being sued by everybody and their brother down South. Anyhow, everybody reading this grasps the gist of this situation. Above is one of about a hundred links supporting my first-hand opinion. Rational debate is just something I do while eff-ing off during lunch break.

12. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

What is "eff-ing ess-ing"?

Who is "everybody and their brother"?

Don't know about everybody and their brother but I've always been treated fairly by USAA when making a claim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.