1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pt. Mugu Gun Club officially closed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skipsor, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skipsor

skipsor Member

Today was the official end of the Pt. Mugu Gun Club. The club had been located on the Pt. Mugu Navy base since 1951 and was closed today because of environmental concerns.

First it was Miramar and now Pt. Mugu.

2. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

You can add Whidbey Island Naval Air Station, Oak Harbor, Wa. to that list also.

3. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

San Clemente Trap and Skeet Club closed by the Camp Pendleton Marines in 2011.

David

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

5. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

They used to shoot trap out over Bayou Grande at NAS Pensacola - right before I got there in '93 the bastards bulldozed the range and the clubhouse and made a new hole for the golf course. "Environmental Hazard" of shooting lead into the water was generally cited reason for shutdown. They didn't replace the range.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

I don't know all the particulars regarding these closing but I suspect it was because people did not properly manage their shot fall. I know that Miramar was putting lead outside their leased area for example and this was a major reason cited for their closure. All gun clubs no matter where they are located should do a lead abatement plan to not only see where the lead is but take the necessary steps to recover this valuable resource. A plan might not stop them from closing you down but it will slow the process.

Tom

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

It seems the military, Navy/Marines are systematically closing down all their clay target ranges in Southern California with Camp Pendleton last on the list. I imagine Pendleton will soon follow. There's more to these closures than lead fallout.................

Surfer

8. shooter

shooter TS Member

9. MEF

MEF TS Member

Hey Shooter and Grunt and other PMGC Members!
    Why don't you come out to the North Hollywood Gun Club and shoot with the Ventura County Sportsmen tomorrow? Some PMGC members are already shooting with us and we'd love to see the rest of you guys join us! We usually shoot the 3rd Sunday of the month(couple months are not shot)and shoot a 50 singles, 50 handicap, and 25 pair doubles program with a catered lunch. Awards at specific shoots, otherwise it's bragging rights and an "attaboy"! Signups/practice at 0800 and shoot starts promptly at 0900. See you there!

Mike Friel
    President, VCS

10. shooter

shooter TS Member

Hi Mike, I hope you all had a great shoot. I'll try to make the next one. Thanks for thinking of me.

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

And there are still those who don't believe "lead" is a political issue!!

Government move's on whim's not facts, scientific data, or common sense !!

Follow the money !!

Golf course's are more a environmental hazard then any trap/skeet range!!
    Just research what it takes to make and keep them "green" I wouldn't drink any of the ground water near them for any length of time.

12. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

point mugu gun club

point mugu skeet shooting