1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PSI vs Recoil

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FormerMarine, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FormerMarine

FormerMarine Member

Looking for a VERY light load for my son's 20 ga and I was wondering if PSI is a good indicator of recoil. Higher PSI = Higher Recoil?

Thanks, Bill

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

No...this is explained pretty well in a section in the Hodgdon's Reloading booklet. Apparently, recoil is most caused by the weight of the charge of "ejecta" (shot and wads) and the velocity at which this stuff leaves the barrel. Then, to hold down recoil...use lighter weight loads, lower velocity, and heavier gun to "absorb" the equal and opposite reaction of the stuff going out the barrel. You might also find the explanation on Hodgdon's website.
    Best Regards, Ed
    PS Hodgdon's has some great 3/4 oz. loads for 20 ga. which I have used a lot. They smash skeet targets and, except for the recoil which is noticeably less, perform as well as 7/8 oz. loads. Hope this helps.

3. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I developed an Excel spreadsheet for calculating recoil based on the Hodgdon Reloading Booklet p. 46. I also experimented with a dram eq. formula that approximates the recoil of proprietary loads, for which the weight of the powder is not known.

I will email this excel file to anyone on request. I can't quite figure out how to post it to a public site for download.

Danny

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

PSI is not a predictor of recoil.

Neil

5. FormerMarine

FormerMarine Member

Thanks guys. I have some 3/4 oz light loads I am going to try along with a Mercury Recoil reducer. I am also looking for a 11/16 oz load but have not come across one yet. Thanks for all the help

Danny- If you would email that spread sheet to the above email address I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Bill