1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

proud primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

I have a few shells that I didn't seat the primer deep enough. Can I do this by closing the action of the gun or is that a risk to cause them to fire?

Thanks
    Dave

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Damn dude, do you realize the silliness of your question? Cut the bad ones apart and salvage the parts.

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I stopped loading Rem hulls because of high primers, they are notorious for that problem.

4. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

If you are using a MEC machine you need to set the primer seating tube a little deeper or maybe the seating spring is getting weak . What kind of hulls and primers are you using.

5. sidious

sidious Member

If you're using a MEC go here:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=187242

Shows how much to adjust for the various hulls, e.g. Remington, Winchester, etc...

Courtesy of the local guru, Curly @ SGW.

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Don't forget that putting non Remington primers in REM hulls can result in the primer standing up on the first loading. Other primers are slightly taller but more important, they are more square in profile than a REM primer.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Dave, yes you can leave them a little proud. When you shoot the recoil will set them flush.

When I had my XT combo I set my loader to leave them a little proud because if they were a little deep the bottom barrel wouldn't constantly fire them.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is possible to get an accidental discharge when you close the gun. This could happen if the firing pin is protruding and locked in place by some defect in the guns action. HMB

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

likes-to-shoot , If you can close the gun on a high primer, you have headspace problems. The gun will either seat the primer flush with the brass or the brass will be deformed to compensate.

10. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Probably OK to close the action with a break-open gun if its a little proud, but may not feed properly with a semi-auto.

WNCRob

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Shoot'em as long as there is not visible light under the primer. I used to get numerous proud Winchester and CCI primers when I loaded them in once fired hulls. As long as I couldn't slip a Post-IT under the primer, I shot'em. The cause is usually a mismatch between the shape of the primer at the flange and the profile of the hull base at the primer tunnel. One firing will usually do what no amount of pressure with a loader can. The problem doesn't happen a second time.

I now pre-prime once fired Remington hulls with Nobel and CCI primers because they are both worse than Winchesters for not seating well in a PW press the first time.

Keller

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Using the guns breech face as anvil to drive primers in that you were unsuccessful in doing with the reloader is about as asinine an idea as I've heard yet. I now know why some of the used guns I look at have the appearance they were worked on by 3rd graders. Brilliant I tell yeah.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

You act so big behind your screen name. ID yourself and then run your mouth.

13. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

grntitan, 548 has id'd himself plenty on here, how about you?

14. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

The issue is high primers, not who says what or sho cares to identify themselves.
    If there are high primers...... there is an issue that needs to be identified and corrected...... Is it a problem chambring them? Will they go off if you try? If you have to ask the question (and it is a good question from someone with concerns) then the standard common sense answer is if you are not sure of the ammunition don't mess with it. Find and correct the problem and only use the rounds you are sure of. Hulls are cheap, there are plenty of cutters available to enable one to salvage powder, shot and even wads...... There is a response above from Curly, send him a pm, go to SGW and post the question on the reloading forum, you will obtain good answers to a good question......... Larry

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've loaded 10s of thousands of Remington hulls on MEC reloaders with non-Remington primers, and have never had this issue. Now the PW 800+ I had for a short time was a different story, never could get them to seat flush, one of the reasons I got rid of it.

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Matt, you're a tad bit wrong on this issue. You can close a gun many times on shells with proud primers. I'm not sure it is a brilliant idea with an auto. Neverthless, most O/U's have a bit of headspace that will easily accomodate that protrusion. For those that don't and have soft breech faces an expensive visit to Laibs or Giacomo may be in the future.

Now, stick to dead rabbits-please!!

17. Cush

Cush TS Member

I open my vise until the shell drops thru and hangs by the rim, then I gently press the primer home with the wooden end of a hammer. Done many that way and never had an incident.

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"I open my vise until the shell drops thru and hangs by the rim, then I gently press the primer home with the wooden end of a hammer."</i></blockquote>If the primer flange and the hole profile don't match, you can push on them all day and all that will happen is you'll get a dished base.

But somehow, your putting a live shell in a vise and pushing on the primer with a hammer handle makes me want to be in a different room when you do that.

Keller

19. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

There is proud, and there is not set in the primer pocket because something needs to be adjusted. If the primers are proud of the face of the base, due to the difference in profiles between the new primer and the primer pocket, that may be a case where it is okay to close the gun on them. In my MEC 9000, this occasionally occurs when I am loading Cheddite primers into once fired Remington hulls. The primer isn't hanging out of the pocket, it is just a whisker from seated as deeply as the Remington primer was. If I were to dick around with the loader, I could probably adjust it so I could apply enough pressure to seat the primer fully, but they aren't out far enough to create a problem when I close the gun. When the reloaded shell is fired, it creates enough pressure to remold the front of the primer pocket, and seats the primer fully. After that, you can load those shells a few more times.

It is a judgement call on your part, but please err on the side of caution!

20. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Johnny....We're not talking inches here, just a bump as you run your finger across the shell. Every now and then you will find a factory primer that is a little proud but mostly set too deep.