1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Proud club #2 have other questions club directors

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    In reading the other thread on "proud of my club" there is a lot of discussion about how to get a round thrown and not lose money at 2.50 a round. We all want to run the club successfuly and keep costs as low as possible and yet keep doors open. I have some other questions and didnt want to thread drift on his so any help is appreciated.

Wolfram said he had the exact costs for figuring what a target cost to get airborn more than just cost of targets. Can you guys show your work so we can input our costs by your formula? ie, do you have all costs like the trap help down to eqpt. repairs pro-rated out etc.

Secondly I have some questions as to how logistically it works to have one of those un-manned traps that a member can access at anytime with a card reader.
    Do those members put a deposit on the key? Are your clubs open or staffed at all times to keep traps full? or can this work with a smaller club where they open gate and fire up trap etc. etc.?
    If it is at a smaller club thats unmanned what do they do with a machine acting up? Do you just have a training course for these "premium" type members? I have never been to a club that has one of these help yourself type systems so bare with my dumb questions if you can.
  2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007

I can't share my club's books with you but you are on the right track. Add up all the costs including targets, power, propane, repair parts, grounds up keep, club improvements, food and beverages, ammmo, labor and taxes. Then add up you gross proceeds. Subtract the costs from the proceeds and you better get a positive number. We can't even come close at $2.50 per round. Probably because we are continually doing club improvement projects.

Now your second question really gets at the heart of the club. If you are lucky enough to be part of a close knit small town club then things are pretty simple. A core group of elected volunteers (about 8) operates the club and these folks are the ones with the keys to everything. Trust and integrity are vital here. There is no pay for these folks but the reward is that we can go open the club and shoot when ever we want but we still have to pay our $5 per round to do that. The less tangible reward is that we have a place that other people can shoot and enjoy. We are proud of it just like our friend in NC is proud of his club.

So the thing that makes it all work out for us is getting decent numbers of shooters to come to our registered shoots. Thats what really makes us solvent. Our local practice sessions are great but they don't add up to enough to allow us to do all the good things we have been able to do this far. Simple formula really - try to make your customers (the out of town registered shooters) have as good of a time as possible and they will come back.
  3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The formula that my club uses is that the fixed costs of the club are by members dues. Target fees pay for the cost of clay targets and electricity to run the trap machine. HMB
  4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I'll pop in here rather than comment on the thread I started. Of course.
    Wolfram is absolutely right, and as an accountant I certainly know that you can't exist very long without covering not only your direct costs, but overhead as well.

At our club we do throw a lot of targets. However, if our target fees cover target cost, including shrinkage, electricity, and those repairs we can't do ourselves, our club dues and income from other club activities covers the rest. The improvements we're made to the clubhouse, five-stand,trap and skeet fields, pistol range, lake and archery range in the past several years have been substantial but we had accumulated the capital over a period of years to do that.

However, without the core of very talented and hardworking members, we couldn't have done it as well or inexpensively as we did.

So, yes $2.50 a round is not a realistic charge for most clubs. I'm not sure
    how long we'll be able to charge that little, considering where target prices are headed.

I shoot occasionally at a very nice club near Chicago, the Northbrook Sports Club. Trap and Skeet is $6 for members, and dues are $500 a year. They have
    employees that do most of the work that our members have to do. It's nice to
    be able to just show up and shoot when you want to, but there's a great satisfaction in pitching in with your friends to make your club a place to be proud of. A lot of you do that, so you know exactly what I mean.
  5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Jan 20, 2008
    All clubs are different . You can`t compare one that has 1000 members with $100 dues per year = $100,000 to one that has 25 members at $50 dues = $1250 . Thats just for starters . Open 5-7 days a week verses 2 days a week or throwing 1 million+ targets to another club throwing 300,000 or less . Having a daily shooting income of $250 to one making $2000 per day . WE can`t throw targets for $2.50 per round so at $3.50 and $5.00 , we can show a profit . Not much but enough to keep the doors open .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.