1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Protesters at gun clubs?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JOND, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOND

JOND TS Member

I'm curious to see if any trapshooters have ever had anti-gun protesters try to disrupt a shoot. If so,how was it handled by the gun club? Many clubs are open to the public. JOND

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I am curious to know what left wing anti gun planet you are from JOND. You sound like a point person for obama.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

the "3 S's"

Shoot
    Shovel
    Shut Up!

4. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I haven't witnessed any since 1965? TS.com just keeps gettting stranger everyday!

FRedmon

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I would imagine they would be asked to leave. Even though it is open to public, unless it is on public property. It is still private property. Owner has discretion of who stays and goes. Also I do believe they would be removed for safty reasons also. not the best place for anti gun people, really who the hell are they trying to reach. I do not think there are many shooters at a club that are on the fence on the issue.

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I have always suspected that one reason the Illinois State Police has a healthy contingent at the Grand in Sparta is to handle any type of protest or anti-gun troublemakers. The complex is public land.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We had ARF's (Animal Rights Fanatics) show up and disrupt a youth rabbit hunt at the EE Wilson wildlife management area near Corvallis, Oregon. The police presence was inadequate to deal with the protesters, so they turned the kids away.<br>
    <br>
    Protesters have also turned up at the Sauvie Island game management area to disrupt youth pheasant hunts, but the police had it on the ball, and restricted entry to hunters only. The protesters were allowed one snall area of a parking lot to protest in, and were told if they entered the game fields they'd be instantly arrested for trespass.

8. dmurphy

dmurphy Member

"From: Gary Waalkes<br>
    Date: Sat, Jul 26, 2008 - 05:26 PM ET

I am curious to know what left wing anti gun planet you are from JOND. You sound like a point person for obama."

<br>

Mr. Waalkes, you are ridiculous.

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Why don't you try protesting guns at a local club and see what happens. That way, you won't have to ask (bother) others!

10. barbarosa

barbarosa TS Member

A few years ago PETA and other assorted "moonbats" protested a pigeon shoot at the Dallas TX Gun Club.

They were not allowed on the property and were just outside the main gate.

Barry

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

You would have to be pretty stupid to protest any event where the contestants have loaded guns and know how to use them.

12. JOND

JOND TS Member

I want to sincerely thank all who answered the question in a polite and serious manner. I'm truly sorry if I offended others. JOND

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

When I was very young and attended the last public pigeon shoot in Illinois I think the year was 1961 could have been later, I've slept many times since then:) Anyway when we turned into the clubs drive off the highway we drove by some people that had signs and were picketing the shoot. I remember asking my Dad what those people were doing and he told me they were protesting the shooting of live pigeons. This is the only time I can think of and haven't heard of any other protesting at clubs having shoots. I expect that some people think they can protest anytime or anywhere as it is their right to express their opinion. I just haven't heard of it being done. Dan

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I don't think the type of people that frequent gun clubs are the type that would be very kind or considerate to protesters. One does not want to get to mouthy to a man with a 12 gauge in his hand.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Even if trespassing, presenting or pointing a firearm at an offender who does not put you "in fear of imminent bodily injury" is a felony (aggravated assault) in most states.

Call the Police, press charges, let the system work. If they get off without fine or time, who cares. Time in the back of a cruiser, in jail, and in front of a Judge gets old quick for most folks.

For Professional rabble rousers, such as Jackson, or Sharpton and Co., thinking ahead will often eliminate such problems. In that case, civil litigation works well. Often, the Reasonable and Prudent" thing to do is reschedule the event, and sue for loss of income, etc.

Running a Gun Club is an honorable business, heavily regulated by local and state zoning, and should be treated as such.

Simple answer to simple question, by trainer of Armed Professionals, and Civilians, and Forensic Expert witness in Firearms related matters. No flame here.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

And now you know why live bird shoots are so hard to find.

HM

17. oz

oz Active Member

tell them to protest at the slaughterhouse. Oh they might wind up in the sausage. oz

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Our range has continually been under the microscope by the local League of Womens Voters and a handful of older community residents who for some reason, choose to protest out parks department's trap range. One of the gentleman is a survivor of Iwo Jima.

He lives adjacent to the range, his property abutts the driveway into the facility, so his property is not in the line of fire/report. One day, he walks through the brush line and hangs on the chain-link fence, observing what's going on for 5-10 minutes without comment. He must've been working in the yard, by the way he was dressed.

Everyone else is oblivious to this guy. BUT, "we" know each other... I see him, he sees me, so I go up to him and cordially offer "Mr. O." something cold to drink and ask if he'd consider going out on the line with me. He doesn't accept (never does), but doesn't leave either and that's OK with me - he's not disrupting anything, just observing and I have nothing to hide.

My point here is... protesters come in all shapes, sizes and demeanors and its important to recognize your enemy. Engage them, but if they aren't waging war, its OK to enjoy a moment of detente with an adversary to find out more about them as a person.

My strategy,

Jay

19. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Never at a gun club, however, The Hegins, Pa. pigeon shoots were inundated with protesters. They would block the highways by chaining themselves together. Another group actually set up a "Bird Hospital" carrying wounded pigeons on minature stretchers. For the most part it was comical. That stopped when some of them actually threw acid on several automobiles. The local police arrested anyone that was truely disruptive or ran infront of shooters. I also saw news reports many years ago from a government run Buffalo hunt at one of the national parks. A protester ran in front of a hunter just as he touched of a .50 cal. buffalo rifle. Luckily the hunter did not totally loose his cool, but he was hot. The park police arrested the idiot.

20. 682LINY

682LINY Member

here on long island,,,we have a club that is under constant protest,,,,the people in the area are upset because there realtors told them the gun club would never reopen,,,,than they bought there houses next to it,,,,now the have large speakers in there back yards playing whight noise when we shoot,,,no on told them we wear ear plugs,,,,the only one they bother is there own neibors,,,,the are also trying to sue to club out of business,,,we are haveing a fund raiser,,,,$100 per chance,,,,one gun will be given away every day in october 631-924-5600 for info on raffle,,Mark is the owner,,,closed mon-tue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.