1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

protecting yourself from paypal scams?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeezix, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeezix

skeezix Member

My brother is trying to sell a car ('97 caddy) and advertised it on the local craigslist. He has one offer- but the buyer insists the transaction be done through paypal. My brother has an account - but has never used it. The wording of the inquiry is goofy - talks about being a marine engineer at sea, can't get to online banking, etc. You folks that use PayPal - how does my brother insure he isn't getting burned here? The offer is for the full amount - no million dollars surplus' or anything like that. It could be legit - but it sounds 'off'

John

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I have used paypal a lot in the past....

it could be the potential buyer wants to be covered under Paypal's consumer protection rules but the thing is, you state that this buyer can't access online banking because he is at sea but he can access paypal? That does not sound right...or the buyer hacked someone's accoutn and will do a scam on your brother.

sounds like your brother needs to pass on this deal....or get more detailed info on this buyer. Has your brother talked to the guy on the phone?

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Well, the money's coming in rather than going out so I would think the risk would be minimal. You should be able to check out the buyer's reputation through Paypal. He may be wanting to use a credit card to get it done the reason he's so insistent. You could hold the car until you're sure the transaction has successfully completed.

4. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I would take the money, call paypal and ask them how long after you withdrew the money should you wait until you hand over the keys..

5. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

PURCHASING POLICY: NEVER...NEVER...NEVER use PayPal for any reason. Completely anti-gun.

6. ryanhammer

ryanhammer TS Member

I would say, walk away. Something about it doesn't sound legit. My personal philosophy anymore is to only deal with cash. Credit card checks, cashiers checks, personal checks, paypal, ebay...All of them have thier pitfalls and ways of being used to commit fraud. Cash is far safer, and if you can't give me the cash, you don't have it anyway. I feel like it's one thing for a car dealer to accept other forms of payment, but not for an individual. Like stated above, find out from Paypal, how long he needs to wait before handing over the keys. If the buyer has any problem with waiting a couple of days, he wasn't that serious anyway. My two cents...

7. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I had the exact same response for a gun I was selling,a marine engineer at sea, can't get to on line banking, was a surprise for his son, wanted to use Paypal. Run don't walk to the nearest exit, Don't even consider it. GaryL.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I know a marine engineer and he emails me from out to sea all the time??

9. scorpman

scorpman Member

PayPal tends to side with the buyer in disputes and screws over the seller. You initially get the money, then all the buyer has to do is disputes the charge on their credit card, and PayPal will take their money back from your account. I had it happen once with an eBay sale. They got the item and their money back.

10. skeezix

skeezix Member

Did a few more google searches - seems to be a pretty common format used for a scam. It does look like a buy and then contest the charges scam.

thanks!

john

11. higun

higun Member

I am appalled to think that the Vatican might be involved in a scam.

12. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Do yourself a BIg favor and stay the hell away from Pay Pal. Deal only in money orders and cashiers checks. Been burned bad by Pay pal---never again. Have had friends with similar stories to tell---never again! Phil in Colorado

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Paypal offers no real protection. If the buyer disputes, Paypal will often side with them and the seller is SOL.

Paypal itself is a scam.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Another:

Craigslist seller usually a nice vehicle at an absurdly low price, purports to be in the military and going overseas. About 50-50 male and female. Does not want to let the truck rot in the yard, so selling cheap.

Then the kicker-------wants to use Ebay buyer protection. (you cant do that unless the sale is through Ebay).

When I offer to show up with cash, they never respond. I have seen this one about 15 times on craigs.

If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.

HM

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I avoid PayPal like the plague. I have already passed on guns or other items I really, really wanted because the seller would only accept PayPal. As others have said, the service is anti-gun so that alone is reason enough for any of us to avoid it.

But before I was wise to their anti-gun ways, I did buy something using PayPal once. I spent the next four or five years receiving all kinds of emails telling me that my account was in some sort of jeopardy and finally had to tell them that if the emails didn't stop, I would report PayPal to the Pennsylvania Bureau of Consumer Protection. For some reason, that seems to have been effective.

With all the ways available to us to exchange funds, I can't see why anyone would want to use one that is problematic.

Ed

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

He's over sea's. How is he going to recieve the car? Let him pay for the car through PP. When they do pay and you see they have you can then transfer the money to your bank account. You can transfer the money right away. The transfer will take about 3 days. Once its in your account its yours. You can also call the bank and ask them if everything is OK with the funds. Let the buyer pay for any shipping of the car. You sell the car and take the money. You do nothing else.

17. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Make sure you request U.S. FUNDS ONLY.

Regards.....Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.