1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pros & Cons of Ranger XLW with RX Inserts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himejim, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himejim

himejim Member

I would like comments from anyone with experience with shooting glasses with RX inserts.

Thank you. Jim

2. DBax

DBax TS Member

there expensive , i wonder if contacts and regular lenses would be a better approach , I have RX lens , there very nice .

3. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

I questioned Dr. Frank Rively last year about RX inserts for shooting glasses, particularly the Ranger XLW. He is (of course) a well-known eye doctor who shoots trap, as well. Dr. Rively sells Ranger shooting glasses and lenses, so I will credit him with the expertise required to form a valid opinion about how inserts would perform in this brand.

His caution to me was that of possible "reflection" betwen the two sets of lenses, depending upon the angle of the sun ; especially when it is behind the shooter, or enters at a particular angle. Since this sounded like an undesireable possibility, I decided to go with actual RX shooting lenses.

If you need more information, I am certain Dr. Rively would be willing to discuss it with you.

4. johnboy

johnboy Member

I shot Decot for 11 years and switched to the Ranger XLW last year mainly because I liked the wrap around style. I noticed fogging on the lens on one particular humid morning. I later discussed the issue with a Ranger dealer and the gist of the conversation was inserts would compound the problem. I did purchase an anti-fogging paste from the Ranger dealer. I am considering contact lens.

5. Kerz

Kerz Member

Dr Tony Kee, OD (Grayson, KY) also trapshooter. He recommends contacts and non-prescription shooting glasses. Carries both Decots and Ranger.
    Vic

6. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

I own 2 pair of XLWs. I really liked shooting in them until I had the prescription inserts added. While it improved my shooting initially, the added weight got to be a real problem. The longer I wore them, the more they hurt my nose. The XLW prescription lenses are fitted in a full wrap-around metal frame. This adds a LOT of weight. I now shoot Oakleys with the prescription inserts fitted to the nose piece without a separate frame. Overall I don't like the Oakleys as much as the XLWs but the weight is so much less.

Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

frank rively shooting glasses

ho sells ranger shooting glasses

pros cons randolph xlw rx shooting glasses

ranger shooting glasses prescription inserts