1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pros & Cons of Precision Fit Stocks please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grayson Mayne, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

I a looking for a reasoned and intelligent discussion on the pros and cons of a precision fit stock. Things to consider: Do you like it and if so why and if not ,why not. Please include any maintenance issues including service from Apogee Ordnance. Any and all intelligent input will be appreciated.

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Are you saying that we here are "unintelligent"??

The only con that I would have is asthetics.

Because of the almost infinite adjustments you may have to control the urge to "tweak" it all the time when you miss. Dial it in and leave it alone.

No recoil.

3. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

There was a nearly exact thread about 2 weeks ago. I doubt that any opinions have changed since then.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bar none the best recoil device on the market today. Will make your 12 ga. feel like a 410 bore. Almost no maintenance. The best device for youth shooters (will grow with shooter) and ladies as well. Only down side is the looks. Break-em all. Jeff

5. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Only downside is "looks"?? What about the palm swell on both sides? How about the sharp angles? The people I know are crazy about the recoil reduction; however, they all did a great deal of sanding to get the stock to fit their hand.

Just my 2 cents.

Chip

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I had one for a while, so I guess it's safe for me to comment.

It's true, it does reduce the recoil to your face and shoulder, but it gave me a different recoil. The one to your middle finger. The back of the trigger guard came back and hit it and I could not get over that or figure out how to stop it, so I sold mine.

Went with Ruck's Bumpbuster and really like it.

Hauxfan!

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The only one I ever saw up close had one of the pinch clamps on it that had been broken (form overtightening). The owner was still proud as heck of it.

8. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Agree with Hauxfan. It hit my middle finger on the front of the trigger guard, several times. I also went with a BumpBuster from Ken Rucker. Only recoils 2/10th of an inch. Best on the market IMHO.

Secondly the PFS is ugly. Looks like the Terminator missing most of his arm.

I think it would be worthwhile as a "try" stock, to get the right dimensions for a stock to be made, of nice wood, not metal tubes, etc.

9. freddy01

freddy01 Member

I love mine. Bought mine 2nd hand, have had 0 problems. Wish I had bought it 10 years ago.

It aint pretty, but pretty don't break targets.

There is a guy on here somewhere that makes wooden cheek peices for the PFS, that dresses it up a bit.

It is the last stock you will ever need. Life time warranty. Get a different make gun? Just buy the grip to fit it.

Fred Dague

10. zinger

zinger Member

Just like any off the shelf gun that fits about 1% of the population, the PFS needs to be fitted properly. If the grip was too small for your hand which resulted in the trigger guard hitting your middle finger, then maybe some tennis racket tape wrapped around the grip would change the angle or fit and eliminate that problem? Maybe the recoil was too loose which could also allow the finger bump? I happen to think my gun looks cool, and view it only as a tool to allow me to shoot the best I can shoot. Wood doesn't break targets....a correctly fitted gun with no recoil does!JMO

11. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Choice of gun and grips for lefties is very limited. If the device is the same for all guns (except right or left), but grips are all that is different, there could be a market for any enterprising individual that could come up with different grips as an aftermarket item such as the person who makes the cheek pieces. I for example have a Ljuctic, but PFS comes in right hand only for this gun.

12. samiam03

samiam03 Member

As a child I was tauught not to stare at the handicap. Everytime I see a PFS I automatically look away because it looks like a prosthesis.

Sam

13. gettysburgtrapshooter

gettysburgtrapshooter TS Member

I got mine 3 years ago when goihng through chemo for stomach cancer. Was gaining and losing weight pretty rapidly so it really helped to be able to dial the gun in as the shape of my face changed. It works best with the ultimate fit comb which you can purchase right off the Apogee website. Recoil reduction is better than anything else that I have tried. Yes it looks strange, but do you want to look good or shoot good???

Scott Hartman

14. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

All is good. Service is excellent. I've bought at least five of them. I do not shoot one now because of the grip. It's small.

15. old tex

old tex TS Member

Best recoil reducer imaginable.

Vern Brown is the best "servicer" imaginable and a great gentleman besides.

Truly perfect gunfit for anybody if you will take the time to read the fitting directions.

If set too loose may bump finger and make wrist sore, solution set it tighter.

Butt ugly.

unc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.