1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro's & Con's of PFS Gun Stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bryce720, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Pro

The title pretty much says it all. I am am looking at this stock from fit point of view and not necessarily recoil reduction. The gun I have has a Gracoil on it and I really don't like the gun moving around. I was looking at replacing the current stock with a wood stock with adjustable comb and maybe a Graco adjustable. I talked to PFS they said the recoil feature of the stock can be locked out. I am a odd fit at 6'2" and 200 pounds long arms, neck and face and thought the PFS might be the most cost effect route?? Thanks

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have two PFS units...one on my singles/handcap gun and one on my doubles gun. The only "con" I can recall in the last 5 years has been the silly comments from other shooters..."Oh, is that a Robo Stock" "Oh, it looks like a prosthetic arm"...etc, etc. I have a wood grip and wood comb. The adjustments will go any way you need them and after a few shots you don't feel any difference from any other stock...except greatly reduced felt recoil.

I have recently started shooting...dare I say...Skeet, with a standard Citori stock and then a RAD unit. After shooting 3 rounds of Skeet I picked up the Trap gun, with the PFS and once again was amazed at the small felt recoil.

For my money, they are the best.

JON

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

If you're thinking of LOP then the PFS has "limited" LOP adjustment - it will not go out much beyond 16" - any lengthening out past that must be done with spacers and pad width. Been there, done that.

You really should look into a custom fit stock - the PFS is a GREAT tool but it is not cheap and it is mechanical. A custom fit stock won't be much more in cost.

4. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

A lot of custom gunmakers and stockmakers use a universally adjustable and calibrated 'Trygun" to obtain a perfect fit...these measurements are then transferred to the new gun/stock. In effect the PFS is a Trygun...with optional recoil reduction. I won't be buying another competition gun that my PFS won't go onto. JMHO. Regards-Graham.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

ffwildcat- "A custom fit stock won't be much more in cost." Last I checked, the cheapest price for a custom stock, w/ apple crate grade wood, was about 2.5x the cost of a brand new pfs.

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have 3 PFS stocks. 2 are on my wife guns trap and sporting. She is small and hard to fit. You can adjust the stock to any adjustment you want it. Them send it out and have a stock maker make you a stock.
    The 3rd one just went on my CG sporting gun. I have improved my shooting by 3 to five birds. Most of the shot were longer shots that I couldn't hit before.
    When I know for sure the setting are right. I will get a nice stock made. Then I can sell the PFS for what I paid for it used.
    I didn't need it for recoil just for the right fit.
    Buy one and you will be happy. The only Con about it is it is ugly. Thats OK it works and keeps on working.

7. zinger

zinger Member

Pros:Fully adjustable comb (slide forward/back,up&down and rollover)adjustable buttplate with kickeze pad, LOP from 13-16", adjustable recoil and finally, lifetime warranty to original owner. Cons: can't think of any as I love my stock and would never consider shooting without. It's funny how some people think that a pretty piece of wood will make them shoot better..lol P.S. if you do decide to get a custom stock made for you, please don't plan on gaining or losing any weight....jmo

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Wildcat told you correctly.. I know a little bit about these stock..and those long arms..just don't work well with a PFS.. You can pile up spacers and such..but I never like the outcome.. Sorry friend.. while I've put ALOT of people in PFS stocks.. I think you'd be a hard fit.. I'd call Vern and see what he says..but my experience would be to try one before you lay out the money.. All Good.. Mike
    perazzibigbore_2008_03032.jpg

9. Landshark

Landshark Member

I wish they made a grip for the ASE 90. :-(

10. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

PerazziBigBore my lop is actually not that long around 15" so the lop is not a major concern. I just want a more heads up approach. Thanks

11. zinger

zinger Member

An Ultimate Fit Comb will allow you to get your head in a more upright position. My husband is 6'4" and has no problem with his. Mike's right though, give Vern Brown a call and see what he has to say.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bryce, sounds like a good idea to me. A Adj. comb and a Adj. butt plate will run you around $500 and you will get half or less back if you sell it. A PFS will only go up in value!!! Even if you pay $800 for a used one now, you will get it all back if you sell it down the road. Just keep the original stock in the closet and if you want to sell it in a couple of years, put original stock back on gun and sell it. Then sell the PFS seperately and get back all your money for it. You'll have more adjustableity with the PFS over any stock. Don't forget that they are great when your son/daughter is ready to start shooting as well. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

PFS's on this site for $700-$800 all the time. They wont raise in value. You might break even if you buy a used one.

14. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

If your LOP is only 15" then the PFS will be a good option. I think they are a fantastic tool - not as good as a custom fit stock but they'll allow you to get your fit dialled in pretty close. Get the Ultimate Fit Comb from Vern - I had one and it made a huge difference in adjustability.

The only issue I have with the PFS is the lack of adjustment in the grip area. Make sure you get your "hands" on one to see how the grip feels - the unit comes with a universal grip with no adjustability for palm swell or length of grip - this is a serious deficiency in my view but it can be countered with a custom fit grip. If Vern was somehow able to figure out how to incorporate some adjustability in the grip area he would have a product that would be unbeatable - a true try gun stock for shooting.

Oh - had a custom fit stock made for my son, plain wood, adjustable comb - $1500. So it can be done.

15. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

PFS Ad Campaign:

smoknjoe_2009_251067.jpg

16. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"Oh - had a custom fit stock made for my son, plain wood, adjustable comb - $1500. So it can be done. " Was this done by a professional stockmaker, and if so, by whom?

17. GWN21

GWN21 TS Member

There is also a past thread on Custom PFS Stocks.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=233274#764307

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=230170#737508

Stocker John's has done a few custom made stocks for PFS.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

PBB(Mike): Do you have stock in PFS? Heck looks like you have 10% of their inventory on your bed. LOL I'm just jealous.....

Matt

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If your pull is only 15"..you'll be fine.. And the Ultimate fit comb is the correct choice if you are shooting heads up.. If you ever get to New Orleans.. I'm glad to work with you on getting you set up correctly.. Vern Brown can easily do the same for you at any shoot he attends.. I think the newer design would be better suited to your needs.. For the larger shooters.. I think there are things Vern can do to extend the reach a little more than the production model.. Other than a beauty show.. there is nothing a properly fitted PFS stock can't do that a wood stock can do.. other than look pretty.. So.. my advice to you is if that matters.. display your shooting trophys you'll win instead of your gunstock.. All Good.. Mike

20. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

cons-Don't buy one until you try one. It doesn't take much cheek pressure to make the comb move. The comb is attached to a rod that is a bit flimsy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
pfs gun stock for sale
pfs gun stocks
pfs stock for sale
pfs stock shotgun
pfs stocks for shotguns
robo stock for skeet guns
try gun stock for sale

used pfs gun stocks