1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pros & Cons of Knee Replacemt & Effect on shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sheddaddy, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheddaddy

Sheddaddy TS Member

At 73 years old osteoarthritis has caught up with both of my knees. Would like to hear about any experiences from shooters that have had knee replacements. Would you do it again? How did it affect your shooting. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

John Furman

2. no powder

no powder Member

Had both knees replaced at age 55 just turned 57. Smartest thing I ever did, still working and doing things I was able to do 15 years ago. As far as shooting goes the best thing is the pain is gone. If you get this done my advice is to absolutely DO THE THERAPY otherwise it will be a failure.

3. wm rike

wm rike Member

I have only sat on the sidelines while numerous friends have had this done, and I can back up what craby says. Agressive PT pays huge dividends, and those that blew off their PT are still having problems years later

4. AEP

AEP Member

I would recommend as much PT before the operation. I think it makes recovery and PT after operation a whole lot easier. I know people who have waited until the replacement was a must. They didn't do so well.

Andy

5. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

sheddaddy; Ihad a knee replacement 1 year ago and doing great.I had a doctor skrew it up 40 years ago and have put up with it till then.The only problem I have is because I waited so long my back is crooked.The replacement I had they did not do anything above the knee cap.they ground the knee cap and put in a lower post.Less recovery time that way and works great. Don't wate get it done. My back kills me because I wated to long and I don't even know the knee was done.As to shooting, for a wile your mind will tell you you can't bend in or swing like you want to and skrew you up some but when you keep shooting it will go away and you may shoot better than you have for years. Good luck to you.

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've replied to this question before, but the archives don't go back far enough, so I'll need to reconstruct my discussion again.

I decided to have my knees replaced in the third week of July 2009, about three weeks before my 63rd birthday. I wanted to have them both done at the same time, both to save costs (only one hospital stay) and to get it over with. The surgeon ordered a number of tests beforehand to see whether my heart could take the stress. Before I went in, he asked which one I wanted done first, explaining that if I showed too much cardiac stress during the surgery he would only do one.The surgery went well and he did a total replacement on both knees. The surgery was on a Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday the physical therapists had me get out of bed and into a chair. It was hard because I was trying to support most of my weight with my arms. They told me to use my legs. Thursday they had me walk to the end of the hall past the nursing station and back using a walker. Friday morning we did that again, plus climbed up and down some stairs. Friday afternoon I went home. At home I used a machine that flexed and straightened my legs, used a walker, and did leg lifts in a chair. There was a physical therapist who came to my home several times per week, and a nurse who checked my pulse and blood clotting time several times a week. About a week after the surgery the physical therapist asked whether I could get around without the walker at all. I walked down to the end of the hall and back without it, and from that time on did not use a walker, cane, or crutches at all. After the second week the physical therapist said I was doing so well he did not need to come to my home anymore, and helped me arrange some outpatient physical therapy. I continued with that until the end of August, when they said I had progressed to the point that I did not need their services.

About three weeks after the surgery my trap club, Pocatello, had its annual gun shoot, a four-day affair with many shooters. I cashiered it and was on my feet much of the time. I usually shot the entire program, but that time I only shot a couple of the handicaps, doing about as well as usual, and having no problems I could attribute to my new knees. I waited until the day after the shoot to go back to work. My office was on the third floor of the administration building. At first I took the stairs up several times per day, and the elevator down. After the first week I took the stairs.

I retired at the end of August (planned before the surgery), and my wife and I took a driving vacation of a couple of thousand miles - no problems or discomfort.

One of my friends/colleagues is the head of the Physical Therapy Department at the university where I worked. He set up a training regimen I used at my local Gold's Gym, and I stuck to it religiously through the fall. In exchange I obtained for him copies of my x-rays before and after to use in his classes. He said the "before" shots were some of the worst he had ever seen, with essentially no cartilage and lots of calcium deposits.

At the end of October I went on a week-long deer hunt in the mountains of central Idaho. The year before there were places I could not keep up, feeling too much pain trying to go up and down over steep, rugged terrain. After the surgery I had a far easier time of it, riding horses, stalking through rugged terrain both with and without snow, and harvesting a nice buck. A few weeks later I took a cow elk on another mountain horseback hunt. Each year since I have gone on deer, elk, or antelope hunts in the same area with no problems, and each time I mentally thank my surgeon for making it possible. If I had not had the knee replacements, I'm sure my hunting days would be behind me now.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Larry, good for you!! Glad you shared your experiences with all of us here too!!

Hap

8. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

My wife had both knees done within 6 weeks of each other. Take what 'crabboy' says to the bank, FIND THE BEST DOCTOR. There are differences. Shes a happy gal now!
    Deadeye45

9. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I have had 4 joint replacements including both knees. My advice would be to not do both at the same time. Be dilligent about doing all rehab exercises and don't be afraid to take the pain killers..you will need them.
    I am 77 and doing fine. I shoot about 800 birds a week...SMOKIT

10. Sheddaddy

Sheddaddy TS Member

Thanks to all for the responses. I was glad to see that most was of a positive nature. I do have an appt to have one knee done Feb 12, 2013. I have had in the past 4 years 2 back surgeries with fusion of L3,L4,L5. This Jan.4 I will have some nerves burned L5,S1 hopefully that will take care of my back pain at least for about 1 year and then on to knee replacements. I was a little on the fense about the knees but after hearing from all of you....its a go for the knees. Thanks again. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays and Good Shooting

11. buckhunter26050

buckhunter26050 Member

had total knee replacements on both knees the same day, I was driving in 3 weeks and trapshooting in 4. I wish I would have done it years ago

12. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

My time frame about matches Buckhunter above. Back shopoting in less then a month and haven't had a problem since. Had them done together. Figured if it hurt, I wouldn't go back for the second. Surprise, it didn't hurt near what I expected. Do the PT..It makes the recovery time much shorter. Hydro therapy was the best of it all..walked around in a pool about three times a week. Warm water, resistance when I walked strengthened the legs faster then I expected. Ten years now, Just wish I had done them sooner.
    Good luck,

Big Jack

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Had my right knee replaced Nov 12th , not an easy thing believe me but I got thru it and after 2 1/2 weeks at a rehab center I came home and drove to therapy the next week . Friday was my last therapy session and today I shot only 1 round of trap because the club was packed and I had to get home . After 6 weeks I think I`m doing fairly well and I have a 110* in the knee now and hope for more doing exercises at home. Just make sure you do what they say afterwards . I may have to do the left next year ?? I know someone who may have waited too long to get his done and he will never ever regain strength in either of his legs due to attrophy of all the leg muscles .

14. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I heartily second Deadeye's comment - make sure you find a surgeon who knows what he is doing and has done a lot of replacements with good success. Mine was a Fellow at the Mayo clinic before he came to Pocatello, and they asked him to stay on as a member of their teaching faculty. He declined because he is a hunting fanatic, and wanted to move to Idaho. He has done hundreds of knee and hip replacements in the five years or so he has been here, with great success. Good luck!

15. TrapDud

TrapDud TS Member

I had it done on one knee about three years ago. I had a cousin have one at the same time. His Dr. wouldn't let him out of bed for 3 weeks after his operation; he had a machine that moved his knee and leg while in bed. I on the other had was told to go home and given a book with exercises in it. I did every exercise every day and 3 days after surgery I drove for a night out with the wife. The Dr. wanted me back it 2 weeks off the walket and on the cain. When I went back he asked if I was using the cane and I told him no; I didn't need it. My cousin is still having trouble and I feel great. Just to let you know I was in my late 50's at the time and weighed about 300 lbs. Hardest part was learning to walk without favoring that knee. It was easier to limp that to walk normal. But that was overcome by walking and being mentally aware of what I was doing. Good luck! It's great to not have the pain and swelling.

Leland

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

At 73, you better get it done soon or Obamacare is going to screw you.

17. Sheddaddy

Sheddaddy TS Member

Barry: Thanks for the Obamacare advise. I did think about it.......for about 10 seconds but when you have enough pain I think you will agree along with the other responders to this thread that had knee and other replacements that the money is not a factor. Merry Christmas. John Furman

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm gonna find out....

Ron

19. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

A friend at the gun club had both his knees done last January. After about 7 months he was up and shooting and playing golf as well. He is a very athletic guy and goes to a health club daily.
    He said that stationary cycling helped him build up the legs. He implied that the first few months are not a cake walk but once you get over the trauma of the operation, it is fine.

He is shooting pretty good as of August and September.
    Art

20. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Sheddaddy,

Had both knees done with internal half knee replacements in 1999 (I was 49 years young then), was helping install an air-conditioner and fell off a ladder in 2004 and damaged both replacements and had both halves replaced again.

In May 2010 had already worn out the right half, time for new total replacement, was walking 1 mile within 10 days and only off work 8 days, compared to the original halves (lots of pain with the recovery and physio in 1999) the total was a walk in the park (no pun intended).

I shot the entire Iowa State, the 4 day shoot at Bunker Hill IL. just prior to the 2010 Grand and then the Grand prelim week as well as the entire Grand week,
    if done correctly it sould only help your shooting not detract from it.

The impovements made in the surgery within that 11 year time frame was astounding,(I had an epidural and was totally concsious throughout the surgery with the Doc keeping me advised on where we were upto in the surgery) did all my own physio (Doc said by now I new the drill) pain was minimal and now am 100% with the right knee, when it comes time for the left I will not hesitate.

Doc now tells me they do not piss around with halves any more it's total or nothing these days, the biggest plus is the loss of that continual pain, go for it you will be pleased you did, but as others have said it is all up to you with the amount of effort you put into your recovery.

I had a Trapshooting Bud have his knee done on the same day as myself (different Doc, different Hospital) he said the pain was too tough for him to do his physio and here we are 18 months later and he still walks with a limp and has continual pain (he has had two visits back to hospital for manipulation but the adhesions he has from not doing as he was told have now caused his ongoing problems).

Good luck get good advice and a good Doc and you will be fine, I am 62 work on my feet 12 hours a day in my business and am as good as new (at the moment anyway) have no restrictions or pain in either knee.

Release Trigger............Downunder....96 05145

PS. I have also had a left ankle tibial bone graft and fusion, now that are a totally different story, knees are a cakewalk compared to ankles.
    Aren't we lucky we live in todays times where all these things can be addressed by very very clever men, I take my hat off to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.