1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pros & Cons of Cheddite Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gwdomi, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gwdomi

gwdomi Member

Pros & Cons on Cheddite Primers. Was at the Cardinal Classic & Cheddite Primers were $21.50. All others were $25. & up. Going back tomorrow to shoot sporting clays again. May just buy som primers while up there. Thanks for any info on Cheddite primers.

2. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Cheaper

Jack

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I shot Cheddite primers for several years until I started to have a problem with piercing the primer when firing. I switched to Fiocchi. Shot them for about 2 years and started to have some problems with them so I switched back to Cheddites. They must have gotten the problem with the primers fixed as I have shot several thousand of them since I went back to them and not had a single problem. If Winchester primers were the same price as Cheddites, I would still take the Cheddites over the Winchesters. I have a few thousand W209 Winchester primers left from a brick I bought not too long ago that had several failure to fires in it..... I'll stay with Cheddites as long as they are available.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

No cons all pro here.. its a shame though rather have American made. Also shoot all Browning Citori guns... no firing pin trouble so far. In fact I have had FTF on Clever shells... but none on my reloads with Cheddites or Remington STS factory shells.

5. razor

razor TS Member

i have always numbered my boxes of 1000 primers when i open them up. this way i can tell how many reloads i have put through my machine. right now i am on box 193. 193,000 primers and 99% have been cheddite, end of story

6. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

I have used them for the past three years and have not had a problem using them in any shotgun that I have fired them in. If I remember correctly, I have had only one hang fire in the past three years.

7. lostandout

lostandout Member

ive had 15 of the last 1000 burn thru now i have a dimple in my firering pin and not happy only have about 2000 rounds sent down range with this gun

8. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

35,000,and no problems that I can see............
    Shoot em up!
    D.P.Reynolds

9. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

About 50,000 and still going...no misfires yet! Same TM-1 Perazzi, no parts damaged.

Mark

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Con... five ruined Browning firing pins, 3 individual guns, due to punched primers and a couple of those were taken out, stoned smooth in a lathe and reinstalled. You would think I'd have learned something after the first couple. I'll never use a Cheditte, or other euro primer again. All that I saved buying their primers I spent replacing my firing pins.

MK

11. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

lostanout.

Are you shooting a Browning?

Some people have posted in the past that they had problems with cheddite and brownings.

I have shot around 30,000 with no problems.
    I am shooting a model 12 and a 90T.

ed.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Not just in Brownings as I have heard from my friends that all shot Krieghoff's in 32's or 80's as well. Try some of these primers before you buy alot of them and see. Then you can decide for yourself after you find out. Break-em all. Jeff

13. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I've Shot 20,000 Cheddite primers through my K-80. No problems. Just had the gun serviced and the firing pins are still in as new condition.

The gunsmith that works at the range I shoot at mostly says the guns having issues with firing pins are having Firing pin issues not primer issues.

So I don't believe it's the primers. They're an excellent component at a competitive price and I'll continue to use them. The more primers and other components continue to increase in price the more I like these primers.

Shoot safely, well and often,
    Tom

14. Landshark

Landshark Member

I like the primer, but HATE the sleeve they come in. They package the damn things in a sleeve that is too wide for my MEC 900G (old style primer feed). When I get through with these, no more Cheddites until they make the package/sleeve fit like the STS and Win's do.

15. oz

oz Active Member

they fit in my ponsness fine. have not had a bad one yet. gun always goes bang. used clays until i could not get it. bought titewad and it works fine. oz

16. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Just loaded 5000 and no problems, they go "BOOM"........

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

NO problem here. The Fiocchi was a little hard, occasional light hit. Have not had any with the Cheddites.

Prefer Remingtons but the price makes me choke up and I can't see the target.

HM

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Con - They're French.

19. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"The gunsmith that works at the range I shoot at mostly says the guns having issues with firing pins are having Firing pin issues not primer issues."</i></blockquote>

The gunsmith that does my work is thinking that Cheddite punching in Browning O/U may be caused by a combination of the severe angle at which the under pin hits the primer and the metal used for the primer cup. It's very obvious with these primers that the strike occurs from the side by the shape of the dimple. He figures that the metal may be tearing.

None of my burned pins extended more that .057" (I have the records) from the receiver face. This was measured with the receiver off the stock, the firing pin return spring removed and pressure applied to the back end of the pin with to push it as far as it would travel

MK.

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mrskeet410, has a very valad point as well. THERE FRENCH MADE Enought said about that. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.