1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pros & Cons betweeen Kolar and K-80 Trap Spec

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by zoom, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoom

zoom TS Member

I have been looking at the Trap Special and Kolar combos since the last PA shoot.A long time I know but for the money I might be spending I would like to hear from the shooters. Your opinion on there fit and finnish, re-sale value and the Most important issue,"How well do they hold" ?? Not to leave out the Perazzi guys you can have a say as well. I will weigh you opinions with great care. Thanks for your help
    Bill C.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Don't worry about what everyone else says. Go try both out and see which one works for you. For my personal taste, you can't beat a Kolar! Kolar is the only high$ gun that I can just pick up and shoot well.

ec90t

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

buy a kolar. it is 50% perazzi and 50% krieghoff design. 100% well built gun and good service. the ability to change triggers from pull to release in seconds is a big plus.

4. Sixshooter

Sixshooter TS Member

I shoot the trap special and my daughter shoots the Kolar. I think they are both well built and have excellent service. Shoot both and see what you think. The best place to do this is at the Grand. See Jeff Mainland at Kolar but be careful, he's so good at working with a customer you may not get to Kreighoff.

I think there is a big difference in the design of these two as the trap special rib is about half inch higher giving you a more heads up gun mount. If you have a long neck you might like it better. I would go with the .750 bore Kolar barrels as they swing better then the standard ones.

Enjoy trying them both.

Mark Zauhar

5. zoom

zoom TS Member

Thanks Guys and Gals... I'm starting to see a pattern hear. Anyone else want to chime....go for it

6. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Both are great guns, but the Kolar is much simpler. Kolar would be my choice. Shoot both and see which will work best for you.

Don't worry about what the top All Americans shoot. They could beat most of us with a H & R Topper.

Sonny Daniels

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Kolar Dan well said!

Leo shoots a DT-10 unsingle combo. No one seems to mention this one.

ec90t

8. zoom

zoom TS Member

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Zarathrusta are we a little biased?

ec90t

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I thought Kolar and Krieghoff were the same company. Like Mercury and Ford.
    Am I wrong? Dave T.

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Your right DB Bill, a 90t is hard to beat for the money!

ec90t

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Kolar is made in Wisconsin (USA) and Kreighoff is made in Germany.

I have shot both and like them both however, I bought the Kolar. I feel that is just snugs up better for me than the K-80. I also think that the cost of ownership of the Kolar is substantially lower. My friends who shoot K-80s have an annual service and regular trigger service etc.. This isn't cheap regardless of who does it. In contrast, the Kolar trigger is simplicity itself and is removeable It a can be cleaned and serviced by you easily.

Another point that I hesitate to make is that I have 2 friends who have had their K-80s "blow up" - one catastrophically and the other less so. Kreighoff made up for the problems in both cases but it concerns me nonetheless. However, there are thousands of Kreighoffs which are shot millions of times per year that have never had such a failure.

The best advice was stated above - try them both and buy the one that feels better.

13. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

I have shot them both, I own a Krieghoff. That being said, I bought the Krieghoff from a friend of mine. Had he had his Kolar for sale at the time I would have bought it. To me they are both great guns and you can not go wrong with either one. I have been to Kolar and met Jeff and have to say I was impressed. Everyone gets hung up on brand loyalty. I hate it when friends of mine beat me that day shooting their Kolar, but its not the gun! The big thing is shoot them and buy the one you like better. The Krieghoff in my opinion is a bit more of a race car then the Kolar. Its how they handle. The Krieghoff is a faster smooth in my opinion and the Kolar is a slower smooth. What matters is which one fits your shooting style. I would say the Kreighoff handles more like a Perazzi and the Kolar is more like a Lujtic. If your just looking for an unsingle the Lujtic is probably the best used gun value on the market along with the 90T. If your wanting to buy used then keep your eye out and snag the one you like. If your buying new shop for the best deal. But to decide what you want be sure to shoot them not just buy something because someone says its better. Decide for yourself! They are all great guns!! All have great service and all built to last a life time.

Dave

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would strongly suggest you try all of the top end guns and not limit yourself to Kreighoff and Kolar when thinking about spending that much money ... Perazzi has its advantages, so does Kolar and Kreighoff as far as that goes ... If your going to try them, try them all and see which one you like and that feels best to you ... You cannot go wrong when investing in a higher end gun if its the one you personally like and that you shoot the best with ... I shoot a Perazzi MX-2000, but never had more fun than when I was shooting an Old Model 12 Winchester, which I still have by the way ... I have tried Kolars and don't like the balance and feel for me ... The same thing with Kreighoff, though I had and shot a Kreighoff K-32 for a while some time ago and wish I still had that gun because I shot it well ... Patients, and you will find whats right for you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Its like do you want a Chevy or a Ford.

If you live by Pete McCall buy a Kolar. If you live buy Rich Kaysa in San Antonio buy a Krieghoff. Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

k-80 trap special vs mx 2005