1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pros and cons of switching to a release trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JBrooks, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

THe BIG NET is coming through. lol

Switch to a release if you want to increase your average.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shooting a release can cause brain damage. You are supposed to squeeze, slap, or pull a trigger. You catch and release fish. HMB

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I'm not going to get into this. Life's too short. Ha... Wait a minute; why not discuss drinking beer at your local gun club? We haven't discussed that in a long while. Jeeez. Cabin fever is setting in. Ed

4. KS user

KS user TS Member

Don't do it.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Do it!! Soon!!

6. below 0

below 0 TS Member

IF you are flinching, by all means go to a release. In my case I was flinching on about every 5 shots..Needless to say my scores were not good. I switched to a release and shot about 100 practice shots, and then went to the Spring Grand and run the first 100 16 yard targets I shot in Competition. Needless to say I was extremely happy. Since that day about 10 years ago, I have moved back to the 27 yard line and "NO FLINCH"...Dale

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

There's been month long arguments on release triggers here on TS.com before...I'm with Ed, life's too short to get into arguing with each other over something as simple as what trigger we should shoot with. If you want to shoot a release, by all means, go ahead. There are good shooters out there with pull triggers and good shooters with release triggers. Why some people seem to thing that a release is the ONLY way to go, I don't know. Josh

8. m-man

m-man TS Member

Hey, would someone mind summarizing the difference between a regular trigger, and this release trigger,
    looks to be something that is highly debated
    thanks for helping the new guy.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Ok Pull -- Release Got it ??

10. m-man

m-man TS Member

I do get it now,
    thats an interesting idea, but i dont really see the difference, because either way you are just releasing the hammer, the direction of your finger just changes.

i'll have to try one sometime

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"the direction of your finger just changes"

And there in lies the secret.

12. m-man

m-man TS Member

so, when you load a shell in, you close the carrier, what position is the trigger in?, im assuming that it would stay in the same place, and that you would pull it, but nothing would happen and then when you let go, it trips the hammer

is that correct?

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I beat my flinch with sports hypnosis Despite what I have heard, I will say a release is a more natural and controlled method to shoot clay targets.

Flame away. I am in the midst of getting my Combo set up with a Spears release. My Sporter and Bunker gun will remain pull triggers. However, the Sporter may find its way to Spears before long. Release triggers are forbidden in Intl' shooting (?????)

The release seems to help me focus on the target and let every thing else go on auto pilot. When I see the sight picture I want, I just relax my trigger finger, stay in the gun, and continue the swing until the target is GONE. As natural as can be. :^)

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Release triggers cure (usually) the flinch problem. If you have the problem, you need a cure. If you don't have the problem, you don't need a cure.

m-man-- The basic way release triggers work is simple. When a hammer is cocked, it is held back with a sear sticking up into a grove on the hammer. When you pull the trigger the sear is pulled out of this groove and the hammer falls. With a release trigger, there is an additional peg on the side of hammer and a lever that goes over this peg when the trigger is pulled. Puling a release trigger releases the sear, just as in a pull trigger, and causes the lever to go over the peg holding the hammer back. Then when the trigger is released, the lever goes up and allows the hammer to fall on the firing pin.

Pat Ireland

15. below 0

below 0 TS Member

By understanding Human nature, think of this...When you PULL the trigger, you naturally tense up your muscles to accept the recoil, thus the Flinch. But when releasing the trigger, you go thru this process without the tensing so a much smoother delivery of the shot. I hope this makes sence to you...lol Dale

16. obfd13

obfd13 Member

"When you PULL the trigger, you naturally tense up your muscles to accept the recoil, thus the Flinch"

Understanding the same human nature as above, wouldn't the same hold true below after a release trigger is installed?

When you RELEASE the trigger, you naturally tense up your muscles to accept the recoil, thus the Flinch

17. andybull

andybull Active Member

The simplest way to demonstrate why a release trigger helps those who flinch, or raise their forearm hand when pulling the trigger was explained to me years ago by a good friend. Make a fist, hold it till you feel unconfortable, now open your hand. Which way did you feel the tension?. Nuff said!

18. capvan

capvan Active Member

I don't even notice the recoil from my 1100. Guess I'm weird...

Bruce

19. fly

fly Active Member

I was shooting Trap for several years and was interested in purchasing a friends gun which was fitted with a release. Tried it and ran 25 with it, no big deal. Decided I needed a release on my current gun I was using, so I had it done. Comfortable to shoot and easy to get use to? Yes. But it seemed like I started to shoot faster than my ability in a short amount of time. That was my experience with a release. Went back to a pull trigger.

Then, 20+ years later I developed a flinch shooting Sporting, everyone said it was due to recoil, and I needed a release trigger. I tried everything in the way of shells and guns, and that wasn't it. All along I felt recoil wasn't the problem either, because I would flinch with my 410. Bottom line, it was a sight picture problem, and it is now gone for 1 1/2 years.

I also have a friend that shoots all shooting sports, and shoots a release trigger. He is a very good shooter all around, however he hunts with a pull trigger and doesn't Flinch. He said he went to a release due to Flinching, what's the Root Cause here?

20. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I tried a friends release and shot 21 of 25 target. I thought not bad for first time shooting a release. A few months later I shot another release and had problems releasing. I shot a terrible score. Seems I just wanted to fall on my face and could not release the trigger when needing to. I just do not like a release and have no problems with a flinch. These were 16 yard targets and I rarely missed one at that time. I think I will always stay with a pull trigger. Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pro cons of release triggers

pros and cons of trigger traps