1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pros and cons of ported barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldRemFan, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Has anyone on TS have first hand information on the difference in velocity of identical loads in a ported versus non-ported barrels? I am "old school" gun fan that is having a hard time becoming very excited about a shotgun barrel that looks like a gas burner off a blueing tank. Help me out here on what I am missing or not missing in the benefits of shooting a ported barrel.

2. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

You are missing having to clean all of the crud off of your barrel and rib, thats it.....

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Thanks drhuner, I sort of suspected that might be part of it.

4. John391

John391 TS Member

There really are no Pros. Guns that are ported are very noisy on the trap line and help very little with recoil. John

5. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/TechnoidArchive/3-May-08.pdf

This website has a lot of good info.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Not needed.

Curt

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I believe there are some benefits to ported barrels. The ports counter act the upward movement of the barrels when the gun is shot. This is a benefit with the first shot of doubles. Restriction of this upward movement may, or may not be a benefit in directing recoil away from my face. Ports do not reduce recoil but may redirect the recoil. I am not sure about this. For me, the lack of upward movement allows me to keep my cheek firmly on the stock longer and I hope this keeps my head lifting to a minimum. When I am shooting well, my face stays on the comb until well after the target has broken. This would not be possible with the gun rotating upward.

My ports (Pro Port) are large enough that they never become clogged with powder residue. They do leave an accumulation on the upper barrel of my doubles barrel and the rib of my single barrel. This takes a little solvent and rubbing when I clean the gun. If I were to get another combo, I would have all three barrels ported.

OldRemFan- You suggested that you have conservative tastes with guns. You would not be comfortable with my K-80 combo that has ported barrels, a Precision Fit Stock and everything is painted red.

Pat Ireland

8. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Pat: Thanks for your perspective on ported barrels. While I do have conservative tastes on guns, I tend to use what works best, so the conservative and best tend to become intermingled once in a while even if they are at different ends of the spectrum. The conservative kicks in when I pass up a gun that I would normally buy when the barrel looks like a woodpecker with a carbide bill has been after something inside.

I have not had anyone address the effect or lack thereof on velocity. have you done any testing on identical loads through a chrono on barrels that are ported and non-ported?

I like really nice wood on a firearm, but I bet that red makes it easy to pick out in a rack full of guns.

Thanks again

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Wonder if Pat has a release sticker, who knows some moron might think it was their gun

Phil Berkowitz

10. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

For someone to say porting is not needed probably never shot doubles. It also helps with keeping your gun from bouncing off the target on singles or handicap, so your guns tends to stay on the target when you miss.
    Pat: I put a strip of electrical tape about 4" or 5" long on the underside of my top barrel. It doesn't show and you have to look hard to see it. When I go to clean it I just peel it off and put on a new strip. This saves some scrubbing of the powder of the top barel.

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

the ABSOLUTE best thing in the world to get carbon off your barrels from porting is mineral spirits. Wet a rag with it, then take a couple passes over the carbon, and it'll be gone like magic. Nothing else i've tried works nearly as well.

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have my first ported gun because my Mossberg 930 came ported from the factory. I don't know how well it works because I never shot it without the ports. I do know that the noise is no louder than any other guns and it is no harder to clean than any other gun. After I clean the barrel it is rare that I have to clear the ports. On the rare occasions that I do I put the same pipe cleaner that I clean the gas ports with in the barrel ports. It takes about 3 seconds.

13. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Anyone had experience on the velocity issue or is that not an issue?

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have ported barrels on a standard K-80 and standard barrels on a Trap Special.

I cannot tell much if any difference.

If you think they work - that is a positive thing, and may help you shoot better.

I have no plans to port the TS barrels.

Don Verna

15. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

dverna:

I am trying to find out from shooters like yourself, with varied experience shooting ported barrels if they work or not. If there is any real drawbacks. If the resale value is badly compromised on ported barrels. All information that I am grateful to have input on before I drop a few thousand dollars on something that is a white elephant.

16. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

Some that have them may think they are great, but at the expense of their squad mates.

They are loud and every now and then your squad mates will be hit in the face with some debris from the port.

Of course the folks that do the porting like the money too.

Adios, Dirk

17. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Does the opinions change when the game is sporting clays?

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

ORM

For me - I think they are a waste of money. But my stock fits decently - not perfect but getting there. If I thought it would help my average by one bird, I would have my guns ported.

Porting will rarely add value and may detract value to some.

So much of this is mental. Ideally you want to be able to swap out a ported barrel with your barrel to see if YOU sense a difference.

I cannot swap out the barrels on my K-80's as the TS is a high rib; and I will have to do contortions to use the ported barrels - and vice versa.

If porting helps you, I would not worry about the affect on other shooters. It does not bother me to shoot next to a ported gun.

Don Verna

PS I do dislike cleaning ported barrels. Spending money to make a distasteful job worse may factor in too.

19. rmy

rmy Member

I agree with Pat Ireland. Anything that makes the second shot of doubles easier is a benefit. Also, if it helps keep the barrel from jumping on doubles, it probably helps on singles if only a little.

20. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

All con's and no pro's.

If you want to reduce muzzle flip on the first shot of doubles, try a lighter payload. I find that 7/8 oz of 8.5 is more than enough to smoke the first bird. You already know where it is, so it isn't like you're chasing it.

I've passed on numerous "Dream Guns" because they were ported and will continue to do so in the future.

If you don't hunt with ported guns over dogs, then you shouldn't subject your squadmates to the same noise.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
benefits of shotgun barrel porting
ported handgun barrel pro and con
ported rifle pro and cons
pros and cons of ported barrel
pros and cons of ported barrels
pros and cons of porting a shotgun

shotgun barrel porting pros and cons

shotgun porting pros and cons