1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pros and cons of PFS stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcr1146, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I am considering a PFS stock which theoretically would give me a stock which would be totally adjustable including pitch, offset, lop, drop etc!? However, while considering this investment, I notice at least 5 or more presently for sale on this site?! Would you guys and gals give me your input on the pros and cons and why so many are for sale?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

If you need off-set buy the newer stock it has more off-set . A newer stock is worth more money used . Also the new comb is more money on a used stock .

If you were not so cheap you would have a custom stock built and be done ??

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Tom,

I started using one last year and loved it. Went from C to A class.

When I started shooting doubles this year I could not post a decent score with the PFS. It could be I did not have it adjusted right; or - like many things in this game - it was all in my head. I put the wood stock back on and got the gun fitted. (Note: I need about 5/8 of cast off and I could not quite get the PFS over that far) I shot a 94 and 93 at the Ohio State to win D class N/R doubles.

I have posted my best singles scores ever with the fitted wood stock (98 average over last 800 registered and my first 100 straight registered). The PFS will not go back on unless recoil becomes an issue.

I got one for my girlfriend, and she loves it. It does a great job of cutting recoil and it has a lot of adjustments so the majority of users can get a decent fit. If I could get another 1/8" of cast I would try it again.

The Ultimate Fit Comb is pricey but allows more cast and a more solid "cheek weld". With the standard comb, you wind up with a shallow angle on the comb to get more than 1/2" of cast. I could not get a repetitive face/comb fit with the standard comb; but I am also a fat head as my ex will attest too.

Don Verna

4. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

Con: not beautiful an it's a bit heavy- at least my earlier model is.

Pro: Nothing reduces recoil like a PFS. I've had one for years and love it. Yes, it takes a bit of getting used to having the stock compress while shooting doubles, but I soon stopped noticing. I use it for trap, skeet and sporting and will never go back. Even the heaviest of loads recoil about like a 28 gage.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would never consider shooting a trap gun without a PFS. Considering what they do for me, I believe they are beautiful.

Pat Ireland

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The only thing I didn't like about my PFS was the slight movement 1/32-1/16 at the recoil pad up and down from the .001+ clearance on the guide bushing which progressively becomes more from bushing to pad.

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Tom,

Here is my 2 cents! I have owned several Precision Fit Stocks. They do reduce recoil a great deal. They make grey AA Super Handicap bullets feel like a 28 gauge. Some people complain about too much movement shooting doubles. I went to a PFS, and my doubles scores jumped up. Not only does it reduce recoil, the adjustments are incredible. If you are putting on a high rib gun, or need alot of offset, the PFS with Ultimate Fit Comb might be your best bet. These are some of the pros, now I will list some cons. The PFS has alot of nuts and bolts (as you can tell by seeing one). They need to be kept tight. They are just like lugnuts on your car... Periodic maintanence, and it isn't a hassle. Just every once in a while, get the allen wrench out. The only other con that bothered me is...when I mounted the gun and pulled it in to my shoulder, there was slight movement in the stock. If I tightened it up to make less movement, the more it kicked because it became more of a fitted stock than a recoil reduction system. This is the only downfall a PFS ever gave me. I now shoot a Stock-Lock system by Pat McCarthy. When you pull it to your shoulder nothing moves, but it absorbs recoil like a PFS. The downfall to that is...you can buy 3 PFS for what it costs. Try one out, if you don't like it sell it. There are always people looking for one. For the money, the PFS is a great investment!

Matt Woodson

P.S. Another Pro that I forgot, and this is a big PRO! Vern Brown is the owner of Precision Fit Stocks. His customer service is awesome! Whether you like the stock or not, if you ever deal with Vern, you will be treated well.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There are no "con's" with the PFS. Except, it's ugly.

9. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shot my highest averages to date with a PFS and got rid of it for exactly what TOOLMAKER said above.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have two custom made wood "grips" and "Combs" like the one posted by shotshell. I am able to shoot because of the PFS. I used the modifications to my wood stocks from counter coil to RAD and none of them did away with the shoulder pain. PFS fixed it. I have about 2 grand in each stock, not as much as a custom stock or a Stockloc, and so I believe in them. You have to take time to get the adjustment right, but IMHO they can't be beat.

JON

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

There a plumb ugly..and work fantastic.. I use them for everything.. I've fitted countless young and old shooters how to enjoy shooting.. hitting the target.. and not getting beat up.. A custom stock was not an option for a 14 year old shooter just starting out.. or the daughter of a trapshooter..who brought his daughter out for the first time to get ready for a father,daughter shoot.. Once you understand them.. you can make them do just about anything.. All Good.. Mike

12. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Had it on a BT-99 and just could not get used to it. Always felt flimsy-flexy and changed the gun's balance too much for my tastes. Sold it and am much happier with wood.

Carol Lister

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Pros- they do reduce recoil and can be adjusted for most people.

Cons- Looks, in the eye of the lien holder but.. Not enough adjustment for some, I had to put a bunch of extra pitch spacers in mine, didn't like the comb but that was before the new ultimate. Weight, they add quite a bit to the butt end. Movement, made my wrist sore. Expensive.

It's a conundrum, ruins the looks of a fine expensive gun but too expensive to justify on a Huglu or something.

I saving up for one of Phil Sims new creations, wow wow wow.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Tom,

I had one and will get another in the near future because I sold the one I had with the MX-2000 that I had it on ... I find that once you get them adjusted to fit you there is nothing that I have tried that works better or comes close ... DO NOT make it where it collapses completely with recoil because it will still kick you unless you use the adjustment to cushion it ... I have talked to people who did not like them until I readjusted it for them and now you couldn't get it away from most of them ... Take the time to set it up right and you will probably be pleased with the performance of the PFS ... When I was setting mine up, its the most time I have ever spent at the patterning grease sheet to get the point of impact right and then I went to the trap line and broke 24 from 27 like nobodys business the first time I actually shot it ... (lifted my head on one) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

.I have several on different guns old style and new style they look like prosthetic devices but work better than any other recoil device I have used over the years. I have to second the post on customer service Vern is one of the good guys that stands behind his product and he is a shooter.

16. JES

JES Member

My average has gone up. Doubles took getting use to but the same result is happening. At the spring grand Tucson had a problem with the recoil, Vern Brown was there and explained what was going on and took care of it for me. GREAT STOCK. I had it a little to loose and once it was adjusted tighter for the recoil the gun has been better than ever. Especially for the doubles.

Jan Slough

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested, I can get you a brand new PFS, to order, for 10% off retail.

email kolarskeet@gmail.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pfs downfall stock

pfs shotgun stock

pfs stock or wood stock