1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Proposed Wisconsin gun transfer tax. Ammo next?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by len loma, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len loma

len loma TS Member

I heard on the radio this morning our Democratic Governor Jim Doyle is proposing a $30 tax on gun sale transfers. Small sporting shops will be pushed farther into heading out of business. I see this as a back door attempt at gun control. How long before banning lead ammo or throwing a tax on it? We need beat the war drum on this topic and email our representives that we will remember how they voted at election time. Ashame to say I live in the over taxed liberal state of Wisconsin.

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Hope the state then takes care of the NICS and 4473's. They can do and be responsible for the record keeping.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

the more they propose this stuff the more votes thye lose in the next election. But Doyle is looking fo ranyway to get more money into his coiffuer.

What a dufuss.

4. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

If we take a look at the state of the economy for cities, counties, states and the federal government taxation, under any name, will be one of the ways to "make ends meet", if that's possible for a government agency. Many shooters are looking and planning ahead for what the liberal agenda will bring.

Our country with the cigarette tax, for example, uses taxes to discourage behavior they (the government) deems unhealthy and we can take that a step further and just say, tax "unhealthy/undesirable behavior". What that could include is virtually limitless. Do we have "taxation without representation"? If we say "no" that means the politiicians listen to the people they were elected by. What's your vote? Michael

5. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Up front I am very opposed to this proposal, but we need to present all the facts.

1. There is currently no transfer fee on long guns.

2. This proposal does not apply to long guns.

3. There is currently an $8 transfer fee on handguns. This money supposedly goes to fund local background checks on handgun purchases and does not fully fund the program.

4. This proposal would raise the handgun fee to $30 to help offset the cost of said program.

5. If local authorities are properly logging violations that would prevent someone from buying a gun, then the fed system would prevent any purchases that are illegal and this program is nothing but another redundant piece of bureaucracy.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

jagrdawger: Bill Cosh of the Department of Justice reported that the $8 fee was too low to cover expenses. However the DOJ recommended $13 to cover all expenses. The worthless bald headed liberal stooge that calls himself the governor of Wisconsin raised the proposed fee to $30. If it were up to this piece of human garbage, all guns would be confiscated. Maybe while he is in Washington, the great Hussein Obama will find him a job. (Like picking the pigeon droppings off the white house lawn). Ed

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

"Worthless bald headed liberal stooge"....I like it.

Stole the cigarette lawsuit money to give to his cronies and cover his incompetence.

This state is 6 billion in the hole, thanks to Doofus Doyle.

Madison needs to be flushed.

HM

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Ok. And this apply's to transfers from a dealer who polices a private transaction. They want all transactions to be on the books and then do things to encourage them to be private. STUPID STUPID AND JUST DUMB!

Joe

9. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

halfmile,

I've got to correct you on one thing. Doyle did not steal the cigarette money. The fellow before him, McCallum used it to balance his one and only budget.

I am not defending the idiot by any means. He did, last year, re-sell the bonds from the cigarette money, putting the state in an even worse position. I dind't think that was possible but he has taken a fairly bad situation and made it worse in his time in office.

Tim

10. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Some of us here in Wisconsin refers to the gov as HAM HEAD. (looks like a fat ham)

11. len loma

len loma TS Member

So tax increase is for hand guns. $8 to $30 is a big jump. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Jim try to sneak in a tax on ammo early in his governor career. It was caught and removed from bill.

I see the Milwaukee Journal a few weeks ago had an article on the front page about how lead in ammo was deadly to our health. It would not surprise me if they are are setting the stage for Jim to introduce his next proposal called the lead tax. I can only hope Scott Walker runs for governor.

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

lead is deadly to your health if your a robber down range of a Marine!(see other post)

13. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Doyle likes to be seen bow hunting for the photops to impress/fool the uneducated hunters in WI. When Doyle first got in or possibly as the AG he proposed a ban on all guns that held more than one shell, while maintaining he was an avid hunter and friend of the sportsman.

When he was visiting a National Guard unit in the field they wanted a demo put on. The demo was artillery firing a suppression of enemy air defense followed by an F-16 airstrike and finished with another field artillery mission. As he approached the howitzer the section chief asked him if he would like to pull the lanyard on the first round. As he began to step forward one of his aides stepped and spoke to him quietly, but audible to those nearby, that a photo of him firing a howitzer would cause him problems with is liberal base. He politely declined and stepped back far enough that he could not be asked again by the other young soldiers on the crew. Needless to say we never saw him near an event where he could be seen near a weapon again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.