1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

proper way to ship ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazzitmxshooter, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazzitmxshooter

perazzitmxshooter Member

what is the proper way to ship ammo without FFL.

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Have to use either UPS or FedEx. Package must be marked "Cartridges- Small Arms" with ORM-D in a box just below.

AndyH ;-)

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

The proper way to ship shotgun shells is to address them to Pat Ireland, 885 Mountain View Dr., Christiansburg, VA 24073.

Pat Ireland

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Some fed ex and UPS outlet type drop off stores will not take ammo or firearms
    These type of ups stores can and do decide what they will or wont ship. They are franchise stores. My local UPS store will not take ammo or firearms I need to go to main hub down the cape. I have not shipped either in sometime, but my friend told me they required the tamper proof type tape on his ammo and shotgun that he shipped out to his new home. The insurance was better than checking the gun at the air port. The ammo was in ammo cans placed in boxes. He also had to go to the main hub in Brockton MA to ship.

5. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Kinko's stores are owned by FedEx Corp. and may be able to help you. Shipping ammo is a touchy subject with some employees. ORM means Otherwise Restricted Material which falls into the Hazardous Materials category. At one time I believe lipstick shipments were in the same classification. Not the most dangerous stuff but it burns well when ignited.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

We've had this discussion a couple of times.

You CAN NOT ship loaded ammo unless you are certified by either UPS or FedEx as an ORM-D shipper.

You *can* try, but you run the risk of violation of some Federal law(s).

I have checked into the being an FFL dealer and was told my UPS that I needed to attend their one-day class and pay a $600 fee to become ORM-D certified.

Do what you want and you may be OK, but I would not.

WW

7. cementman

cementman Member

With UPS it seems like you get a differant story depending on who you talk with. A few months back I attempted to ship some ammo at at UPS hub location and the person at the counter refused to ship. I explained that just a few weeks before another counter person did ship some ammo for me. The counter person gave me a UPS Customer Service number to call, which I did, and it was explained to me that ammo shipments were OK as long as package was identified ORM-D, Small Arms Ammunition. Customer Service gal gave me here extension number for the counter person to call. Went back to UPS Hub and shipment was accepted. Again, just depends who you have to deal with.

8. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Do not ship via United States Post Office

Lou

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It's not the UPS franhises or the independent shipping stores that set the rules for guns. It is UPS's policy that all firearms are shipped from a terminal or hub.

Ammo can be sent by anyone through UPS...the box just needs to be marked. There is NO hazard fee on loaded ammo. There IS a fee on gunpowder and primers.

I spoke with UPS last week for a customer of mine that is into collecting antique ammo. He had a seller that wanted to tack on a $25 hazard fee. That $25 would have gone straight into the sellers pocket.

Doug

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ammunition is treated differently than powder or primers by UPS and FedEX. Primers and powder are a Hazardous Material while small arms ammunition is classified as ORM-D. "Other Regulated Materials-Domestic" means the package contains hazardous material in a limited quantity that presents a limited hazard during transportation.

You can ship small qualtities of ammunition only by ground with UPS and FedEx. The package must be marked with the ORM-D label with "Small Arms Ammunition" below it.

Jim Skeel

11. skeeljc

Check out the information at Wikipedia at the link above.

Jim Skeel

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I just spoke with the Haz Mat Desk at UPS and now one can ship "small arms ammo" via USP Ground. There only resitrictions are (1) the package cannot exceed 66 pounds per package, and (2) anything under 50 cal is considered small arms, as is 12 gauge.

You do NOT need to attend their one-day Hat Mat class any longer, BUT you MUST have an ORM-D label (printed or hand written) on the package.

You can call them at 800-554-9964 if you have further questions.

The Federal regs can be found at: 49 CFR 173.24, and 49 CFR 173.24(a).

Whiz White

13. skeeljc

Now you too can sell your Winchester Black Talons on GunBroker for $80.00 per box of 20 cartridges!!

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.