1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Wad for Reloading Estates- Which One?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SD John, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SD John

SD John TS Member

I've been reloading Estate shells using a Clybusters CB1100, the sub for WAA12SL. Have noticed less recoil, but I was told that's because I'm using the wrong wad - something about the taper of the shell. So my chamber pressure is probably less which I guess not only affects recoil but also velosity.

So, what is the correct wad to use in 1oz reloads with Estate? Thanks

2. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Down Range has a wad that works very well is this hull
    Chuck

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Use the Federal 12SO or clone. The Estate is a straight walled hull, the wads you are using are for a tapered hull, and gasses and powder will blow between the wad and the hull. I do however on occasion use a 1 ounce tapered wad in a straight walled hull for 1-1/8 loads. There is data for that, and you have to use more powder.

Wayne

4. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

In reloading the Federals,I've had better luck with the TGT clones from CB. When I used the win wad they turned out to be very dirty.

5. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

John,

I agree with Wayne. The 12SO wad makes a nice looking crimp in 1 oz. Estate reloads on my MECs.

Jon Reitz

6. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Claybuster 12S0 clone is the top choice for me.

7. lesharris2305

lesharris2305 TS Member

Federal Top Gun and Estate hulls use the same reloading data.
    They are a straight walled hull and do not use the same wads as Winchester or Remington.
    I use the Claybuster 6100-12B wad,1oz.shot and Claydot powder,with a Federal 209 primer.
    These are my 16 yard trap loads. They work well in summer and winter.
    Claybuster supplies load data in the bag of wads.
    Les.

8. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wayneo, why do you use a tapered wad for the 1-1/8 oz loads?- crimp, room, pressure, recoil?? i've only used the S3 and have never tried a tapered 1oz wad in the federal. thanks in advance, dennis

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Dennis,

At the time I was using FGM hulls and 700X for my handicap loads. I ran out of S3 wads and tried a Blue Duster (1-1/8) wad. Crimps were dished in bad. I looked at the Hodgdon reloading guide and low and behold it showed a lot of data for using the WAA12SL with 700X in a FGM hull.

I had a bag of Green Dusters so I loaded up a box and went to the club and shot a round. Crimps were perfect, shell preformed great. I had to drop a 1/2 grain more powder with the 1 ounce Green Duster then I did with the S3. You can also use the WAA12 or Blue Duster for 1-1/4 ounce loads in a FGM hull if your powder is not to bulky. That combination with WST is killer.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

proper wad fr estat hulls