1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper technique of using a release trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jerry944t, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Without any debate of release versus pull I will say after 12 years of shooting a ton of targets I finally went to a release trigger and all is well.... except that once in a while I will release the trigger prematurely and short shoot the target. Don't we all hate those premature discharges?

So yesterday, at the PA Grand, a bunch of us were debating the proper use of a release. The opinions, of course, were divided so before I call Phil Kiner I thought I'd run it by the group.

My technique is to relax my finger at the proper moment (hopefully) and the target breaks. Others said they actually purposely whip their finger off the trigger when the sight picture is correct.

Do you think there is a right or wrong technique or is this another example of what works best for you? Mature answers would be appreciated.

Jerry Weger

PS, I know Joe, it's a bandaid now go back to work on my stock please.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

After shooting a release trigger for years I never know when I let go . The target is hit and I never remember letting go (as it should be) .

If your thinking about your trigger your not thinking about your target .

ALF

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Gee Jerry. For me it is like the Ronco Rotisserie Chicken Cooker. "Set it and forget it." I have found if I am short shooting, the trigger may have gotten too fast and releases too easily and needs a bit of tuning. Regards, Jake

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

ALF_ Have you copied my method or did I copy yours?

Pat Ireland

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

When I first started using one I found that I had to squeeze it tighter than just holding it back. I try to feel that there is enough pressure just before I call for the target. As for letting it go, I just does.

6. Jerry944t

Thanks for the answers, please keep them coming.

I have a feeling Jake is on to something because it's been happening more frequently. Time to find a trigger gauge or take a field trip to Allem's.

BTW I specified a 5lb pull and 2 1/2lb release. What do others normally use?

7. Doug Sims

Doug Sims TS Member

Jerry - Have you shot doubles with the trigger? If it is double release, you will understand why some tell you to "whip off" the trigger.

After you do not allow the inertia block to reset a few times, and the second target makes you look spastic as you attempt to re-set and shoot, you will understand.

Doug Sims

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Jerry, I have several triggers for my Perazzis. They don't all have the same set and release. When I am staying with one gun the trigger gets very familiar and that is about all that matters. But, they all have to set crisply and release crisply and not too soon. If they go off too soon they are always "out of tune." And that will not only get you to miss targets but may get you a little jumpy. (I hate to bring up that F word.) Make sure the trigger is setting and releasing right. There are lots of good trigger smiths out there. Regards, Jake

9. Jerry944t

Doug I use a release pull for doubles. I don't flinch on the second shot at doubles (yet) but I did try a double release for giggles. Yes, there is a learning curve there but I'm sure that it can become second nature. Now that you mention it the shooter who was adamant about jumping off the trigger uses a double release.

Jake I have access to several Perazzi triggers although I only own one release. I did contrast and compare with several friends and mine does seem just a tad quicker than theirs but that is purely subjective since a guage was not available. I think there is a clue there but I won't know for sure until I test it empirically.

Jerry

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jerry..... If your gun is going off before you get to the target, there are a couple things you can do. The first one is pretty easy, and works quite well. Set your trigger in the first joint of your trigger finger, not on the finger pad. Set the trigger firmly and hold it tightly. When you shoot your trigger this way, it allows you just a bit more time to get to the target to prevent short shooting it. The preferred method, for me, was to re-set my trigger weights. I was set at 80oz. set, and 32oz release. This proved to be way too fast for me. I had the trigger slowed down by having the set at 88oz. and the release at 25oz. This brought the trigger more in line with my style of shooting. It allows me to get to the target and actually swing through the target before the gun goes off. It is my observation that most release trigger shooters shoot a trigger that is much too fast for them resulting in just what is happening to you.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. Jerry944t

Thanks Don. I will try your advice. At the next shoot there will be someone with a pull gauge and I'll check the system out. I have a feeling the release point is a bit light since this is a recent and escalating problem.

Jerry

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Jerry,

Have you discovered the illusive 'reverse flinch?'

David D

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jerry, after 14 years of shooting a release, I can't tell you how I shoot it. If I could, I would be thinking about that while shooting and would be missing targets because my brain wouldn't be allowed to concentrate its resources on the target. I can honestly tell you that I spent my first trap (back in the late winter of 1994 at the Manheim Sportsmen's Association) with a release thinking about it and posted a 14. After those 25 targets, it was starting to come "naturally" and my second trap was a 24.

I do feel that a faster release (but not to the point of being dangerous) is better and say that because I've been told by many very good veteran shooters that if you can handle a slow release, you don't need one. Similarly, many of those same shooters have told me that if you can handle a release-pull setup, you don't need the release.

I used a double release back when I shot doubles and learned that "trapping" the second trigger was fairly easy to do and developed a method of preventing that from happening. When I released the first trigger, I did so with a vengeance and intentionally flicked my finger forward far enough to feel it hit the trigger guard and then quickly set the second trigger while the gun was en route to the second target. Until I started doing that, I occasionally either shot at the first target twice or didn't shoot at the second one at all (I never said I was any good at doubles).

Finally, if you flinch with a release, that is telling you that the root cause for your flinch is visual, not mechanical. You simply are not seeing the target well enough and your brain knows that and resists sending the "fire" command to your finger. If that happens, as Phil will tell you, you need to hold lower.

Ed

14. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting thread indeed. I think I'm gonna learn how to "whip off" the release trigger as that seems a reliable technique for a less than perfectly tuned trigger. Maybe I would not need a Release if I had learned how to slap a Pull trigger in the first place. I appreciate Dan Thome's advice to get your "Precision Trigger" at exactly the right SET and RELEASE poundages however I find it hard to justify spending $1750 for a trigger when I paid less than that for the whole gun 22 years ago. My usual trigger is getting worn out on the hook and sometimes goes off too soon if I fail to SET it properly with an aggressive firm SET. My spare trigger is just the opposite and is a slow reliable trigger that goes off at 1 1/2 lb but I have a tendency to lift my head off the comb when I use this trigger because it is slow. I recently acquired a Single barrel for my Doubles gun and that MX-3 has a very good Double Release converted by Jerrie White so I'm gonna try that gun for Singles.

15. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Jerry,

I think that 2.5 pounds is too heavy a release point for a release trigger. It might cause premature releasing of the trigger.

I like the trigger to set at 75 to 80 ounces and release at 25 to 30 ounces. This gives about a 50 ounce (roughly 3 pounds) spread between the set and release weight.

BTW, I also COMPLETELY release my trigger when I shoot. That way there is no trouble setting the trigger for the second barrel. Don't try to "milk" the release. That could be part of the problem. When you are ready to shoot, let the trigger completely release and immediately grab it again for the second shot (if shooting doubles).

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

proper trigger release