1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper proto call

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bakergun, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Hello
    I have a question on what you fell is proper proto call when shooting trap When do you fell it is time to load your gun I see gentlemen closing their guns right after they shoot and some after the person next to them shoot some wait for the 2nd person to the left of them to shoot and some wait till it is their turn. I am not talking about any shooter I am talking about seasoned shooter the type that shoots 99 and 200 on a regular basis. Gentlemen who shoot and win state shoots who shoot the Grand, men that travel through out the country shooting. So tell me what say you
    Pete

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There is no rule in either the PITA or ATA as to when you can close your gun on a live round while during an event with the squad shooting in order. You WILL find such a rule at some clubs that insist that it's unsafe to close the gun before "your turn." The term "your turn" can certainly range from a shooter or two before you or all the other way to not until the fellow to your left has fired his gun. It's been my notice from responses on this forum in the past that there is a propensity for eastern clubs to insist on not closing the until it's "your turn" while it's not one bit unusual more in the west to close the gun during an actual event or sub event when you wish while at your shooting station and the gun is pointed in a safe direction......Bob Dodd

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I shoot an o/u and reload right after the empty is ejected. The gun is closed and mounted after the shooter to my left has fired and the target pieces have cleared the background. Others have a different routine. The object is not to disturb any shooter by moving/loading your gun while they're ready to pull their trigger.

Eric

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

You have it exactly right , Eric. Wouldn't it be great if everyone followed your advice.
    Bill in MI

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The 'proper' thing to do depends on where you are shooting and what kind of squad you are on.

If you are shooting at a modern facility with PAT traps and CVRs with a squad of agressive AA class shooters then close your gun just after the shooter two posts 'up the line' fires his shot then stay motionless until the shooter one post up the line fires - then mount your gun and call pull. This is the 'rythm' that these folks are comfortable with. Usually shots are fired in very consistent 5 second intervals.

If you are shooting at a facility that has hand pull and/or hand set traps then you need to slow things down a bit. Do this by not closing your gun until the shooter one post up the line has fired. The additional delay will give the scorer/puller needed time to do their job.

What really doesn't work is the odd man out that takes 10 to 15 seconds to load, mount and shoot. This is the equivelent of the square tire.

6. ismah

ismah Member

Pete: I shoot a pump. After my turn shooting I eject the empty into my hand and pocket it, load fresh round into the chamber and leave it open until it's my turn again. Then I close it and shoot. My gun is noisy when I eject so I sometimes wait until the shooter to my right has fired and then I eject. So far I've had no complaints.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Just an aside here.... All that is said is true for ATA however in Olympic trap you can not close your gun until the previous competitor has fired. I personally like this rule because I find it disturbing that just as its my turn in ATA the guy to the right of me has his gun closed and its heading for his shoulder just as I call.

Tom

8. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Our squad will only close after shooter up wind has fired. Also have 3 under 18 yrs. on our squad. Two dads and three sons. I will shoot (sometimes cuss under breath), break open gun and place on pad (foot.) I know there are foot haters. My gun will not fire unless closed. Once gun is closed it is not on my foot. I will not take my fired shell out until the shooter to my right has fired. Then I take shell out, place in shell pouch, let smoke draw out of barrel, look for basewad, place new round, and generally will be my turn again.

We were watching a squad of AA this past weekend and they were like Wolfram stated. They shot, ejected shell, placed shell, closed gun and were ready.

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I learned from an older friend who got me started, close your gun when it's your turn to shoot. I do put a shell in the chamber, but I don't close the gun till I'm ready to shoulder the gun when it's my turn to shoot. Just seems to be the safe way.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

I do not concern myself with the speed of the squad.

I do not close the action until it is my turn to shoot. If I shoot a semi-auto, I close the action immediately after the shooter has fired his shot to avoid setting off the voice release.

Don Verna

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I eject my empty,quickly load the gun and it is my turn to shoot again. My squad shoots singles fast and doubles even faster. We slow down a bit for handicap.

Pat Ireland

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I never close the action until the shooter before me fired his.

This is what I've been taught as Rule #1 when I started clay shooting.

I only see ATA shooters NOT doing so. Wonder how or who they learn from (other ATA AA shooters?) :)

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I finally gave up on asking people to not move their gun until after I shoot, and I built me some custom, super-duper-sized blinders. I feel like I'm shooting in a tunnel. LOL!

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Heaven help me, I finally agree with Tom Baber on something!:) I close the action after the shooter before me has fired his (or her) round. I shoot a gaspipe, so I try to avoid setting off a target in the fashion that Don Verna has explained. I used to feel rushed on some squads, but now resist the tempatation to close my gun one shot earlier.

15. gotbass

gotbass Member

Break open guns, drop in shell wait for turn, close and shot. Gas pipe shell in, close action like Don Verna, since that is happening while his target is hitting the ground I am not holding up the squad. I personally would rather that folks keep their actions open til their turn, but know that a lot don't. I don't get bothered til muzzle control is an issue. Aside from the ever popular which way to turn from post 5 those I shot with both league, PITA and generally at practice are good about safety. If someone needs a reminder I will gently do so. Only folks who don't know what they are doing in the first place take offense.

16. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I have seen some load and close after their shot and others not close until their turn,,,,as long as you are NOT disturbing the immediately before or after you....

17. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I think common sense should prevail here and not have a (loaded/ready to fire) gun until your turn.

*side note, one thing that does irritate me is when a shooter to my right mounts his gun to his shoulder before I have even called for the rock. <--------I think that is wrong because its distacting.

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I do what is comfortable for me and causes the least amount of movement on the line.

What bothers me the most is people that can't just answer the question without setting themselves up as the safety police.

Bob Lawless

19. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I shoot a 1100 TC for singles and Cap. I place a shell in the chamber and leave the chamber open until the second shooter to my left shoots then I close the action when it is my turn I mount the gun and shoot. I did close the gun at the NSC in Texas once when the second shooter to my left was mounting his gun and set off the bird and have never done that again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.