1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper procedure when offered a stolen gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:

Is there a recommended procedure that should be followed if you are ever offered to purchase a stolen gun? Should you try to detain the person yourself, call the police?

Also in the past 42 years of shooting, I have seen 2 shotguns with no serial #'s on them that have been reblued. When I asked about the lack of serial #'s the guy said the lack of serial #'s was due to a factory error.

Steve Balistreri

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'd probably try to play along and get as much information about the seller as possible, then tell him I need an hour to check on another gun I also would like to buy or some such excuse. During that time, I would be dialing 9-1-1.

If the people selling hot guns are caught and locked up, the people stealing them would have fewer outlets for disposal of them, so gun thefts might drop off.

Ed

3. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Steve,
    Some guns prior to a certain date, I believe in the 60's were not required to have serial numbers. I own a Savage Fox shotgun that has no serial number.
    Pat

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Pat's right - mandatory serial numbers were part of the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Ed

5. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Don't engage on any level. Leave and call the police with as much information as you have. These are the instructions given to FFL holders from BATF. However, if your'e a LEO or a member of BATF, you have more to do.

Larry

6. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Steve I told you the guns belonged to my mother! What are you complaining about.

Your idol, Rick

7. senior smoke

Hi Rick:
    Hope your doing well.
    Steve

Pat and Ed:
    I was not aware that prior to gun control act of 1968 gun manufacturers were not required to have serial #'s. Doesn't make much sense to me as it must have been a nightmare for the police dept in solving crimes?

Steve

8. MR870

MR870 Member

I always do a bill of sale on buying a gun.If you don't think its legit,the seller gets cold feet when you ask to see their ID to get their address.I recovered 3 stolen shotguns when a person tried to sell them to me.It was obvious he said he had 3 rifles to sell and showed me 3 Browning Lt 20's.I asked for his ID to do a bill of sale and he cancelled the sale.I call a local sheriff's buddy of mine (an avid gun collector)with a description and tag number.Two hours later he called and said they got the guy and recovered alot of stolen stuff from the guy.Including a full auto weapon that broke his three strikes your out.He said he'll do hard time in max.Karma!

9. revbook

revbook Member

Why is it that when sellers list a gun they don't give the entire serial number? What use would the number have to others?

Don in PA

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Steve, I have a Mossburg ordered from Montgomery Ward in 1967, no serial number. I don't think tracing guns has ever played much of a role in crime solving. Those guns are usually stolen.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Try to call someone but call 911. Say you have a friend who knows more then you do and you would like to talk to him. Most people say sure. Walk to an area that you can talk but see the LIC number of the car or truck. You get the idea. Then delay him as gently as you can till the police come in.

I knew a guy who did buy a stolen gun UNKNOWINGLY and the cops charged him with buying stolen goods. He didn't know and how could he? Some cops will let it go but some will not. You don't know what will happen.

Most guns do have S# all have S# past 1968. I have a number of guns that were made in the early 1900's and they don't have any numbers. Remember all you had to do was go in the hardware store find the gun you wanted and just pay for it. That was it.

12. oz

oz Active Member

If Eric Holder is trying to sell you the gun. Walk away and don't waste your time. He has executive immunity.

13. senior smoke

BeBop:
    If it was only that easy.
    Steve

14. BEACH

BEACH TS Member

I don't see the problem, you have his stolen gun looking at it in your hands! hello!!!!! put a shell in it and point it at him. tell him to get on the ground till the police show up or they are going to be minning lead out of his @#%!#!!! we like people like this, I would just arrest him but you don't have that ability always.

15. letts

letts TS Member

I complete my two years of service with the army in Sept of 1967. A short time after that an old (older) friend offered to sell me an M14 complete with selector switch for $15.00. I told him that I was sure that the gun was stolen and I was not to interested. Sometime latter he said that he got rid of the gun. He has passed on now and I wonder where the gun really ended up. Another thing is that it came with two stocks, one was pistol grip.

Letts

To my knowledge in 1968 an M14 was not available for sale to any one. Many years later they were for sale with a receiver that would not accept the selector switch.

Letts

16. senior smoke

Beach:
    Your my hero, LOL.
    Steve

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Other than a super rediculous price or refusal to show you ID, how could you know it's a stolen gun?

Hap

18. senior smoke

Hap:
    I know shooters who keep records on stolen guns and before they purchase one they look at the list. One guy I know was offered a Remington 1100 Trap grade for $175.00 and he checked his list and the gun was not on there. He also called the authorities and they said to their knowledge the gun was not stolen. He asked the guy why the gun so so inexpensive and he said a guy owed him money at the bar and he gave him the money instead of cash.
    Steve

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Steve, if that guy showed me his ID and gave me a bill of sale, I'd buy those all day long. No ID and no BoS, no dice and more than likely a stolen gun?

Hap

20. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

A guy buys a handgun off of gunbroker from a FFL holder, has it shipped to his local dealer. When inspected by the receiving dealer before log in he notices serial number has been altered. He tells the buyer he cannot take possession of it, and has to notify the BATFE. The BATFE tells the dealer to hold the gun and they will get out within a week, a month goes by and no BATFE. The dealer calls them again and explains he will keep it for one more week and if they don't show up he will destroy the gun, they finally showed up 3 days later. What makes you guys think that local police are obligated to follow up on firearms that have their serial numbers removed or altered. Do local police know that certain firearms have no serial number?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.