1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Packing for Shipping a Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

The recent thread (Latest UPS Gun Shipment) prompts me to ask, short of a custom made wooden box complete with steel strapping, what exactly constitutes adequate packaging when shipping a gun?

I understand two layers of corrogated box board provides more protection than one. Bubble wrap or foam padding provides limited protection from hard bumps and bangs or packages that get thrown around or dropped. And... boxes secured with reinforced strapping tape will generally prevent the problem shown in Shooting Coaches photo.

On the other hand, if a box gets run over, slammed against a sharp corner, or impaled on a pointed object, I'm not sure any of the above will provide sufficient protection.

The question ISN'T what will guarantee total protection every time. The question is what is reasonable and adequate packaging for the rough handling packages may receive?

I'm particularly interested in hearing from 'frequent flyers' like Merlyn and GunDr that ship and receive frequently.

sissy

As side issue, where can one find shipping boxes the correct size and shape?

2. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

If I have no case, Wallyworld sells a cheap case.(use the shorter cased that will "disquise" the gun) Make sure that when you pack that the pieces cannot be "banged into each other. I make some of the cardboard containers by re-forming wad boxes or whatever cardboard is handy (2 layers in some areas) and plenty of tape!!!!!merlyn...

3. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I'm no shipping expert. However, I have shipped an received numerous guns, and also shipped and received several telescopes.

If you don't have a case, I suggest you bubble wrap each component, after disassembly of course. I then use packing tape to bind the components together. I then bubble wrap the whole conglomeration and tape that securely. Get enough bubble wrap to make sure you have cushions on the ends. Then it all goes in a nice, sturdy box.

Bubble wrap is cheap and light. My packages wrapped as above can almost be dribbled like a basketball.

It probably would not survive an insane UPS/USPS/FedEx driver, a nuclear explosion, or a "suicider," but it will arrive ok most of the time.

Danny

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

If you have to make a box from a larger piece of cardboard do it, as someone said, 2 layers, and then.....tape, tape and tape some more...

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Cardboard boxes are "all & good", but you MUST fill the voids around the gun case and the box and/or around the bubble wrapped object. This prevent the voided area from compressing and tearing a hole. It also prevent the gun or case from shifting in the box...as was seen in the photo. The weakest spot on that package was the handle side of the box. Packing material should have been jammed in tight on both sides of the handle, extending to each end of the box.

Bubble wrap is great.

When using "used" boxes, be careful of the old tape. Remove it if you can. Some tape just will not hold very well, especially if the box started out a little dusty. Placing new tape on top of old tape..."the weakest link". Don't be a miser when applying tape. A box end should have at the least, 6 strips of tape, with at least 15" of tape coming around the sides.

You need to assume your package can handle a drop from 10-15 ft. If the shipping company runs it over????..oh well, you did your part. Just be sure to insure it, and request an ADULT (UPS policy..over 21 yrs. of age)signature.

You definitely do not what any loose edges or flaps. Run tape on anything that could snag on the conveyor, including the box's seam.

UPS does prefer nice square, securely packaged boxes. They will charge more for big "clunky" cases, like those big Browning airline cases. They ARE very secure. Be sure to throw a couple of locks on it and send the key by mail, or use plastic zip ties in the lock locations.

When using US Post Office, for a valuable shipment, use Express Mail with insurance. If sent priority/registered, it will delay the package for days or weeks, because it needs to be personaly handled along the whole route. And each person needs to sign off on reciept.

Pretend you're shipping your kid to grandma's house or back home.(hahaha)

Doug

6. yodes

yodes TS Member

When possible, I scrounge boxes from my local gun store, but have had to buy them on occasion. Two I have found are Cameron packaging shown above hopefully, and mrboxonline.com, http://www.mrboxonline.com/rifle-box8x4x52-p-4845.html . Then plenty of bubble wrap and packing peanuts. Good luck.

Steve

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful responses. I'm sure if your suggestions are applied by fellow TS.commers readers, many preventable shipping problems including damage will be avoided.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.