1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper MEC powder bushing for Win. 540 powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by win.5012, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. win.5012

win.5012 TS Member

I have some Win.540 shotshell powder I got from a friend recently. MEC does not currently list Win 540 on there bushing chart. Does anybody know which size bushing I would need for 32.5 grains or, where I might be able to find a chart which accomodates this powder? Thanks

Greg in WA

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Use a good scale and find out for yourself. BE SAFE!

AndyH ;-)

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Use HS-6 data to "get close", then get your scale out.

From Hodgdon's Web site

HS-6™ HS-6 is a fine spherical propellant that has wide application in pistol and shotshell. In pistol, 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W and 10mm Auto are some of the cartridges where HS-6 provides top performance. In shotshell HS-6 yields excellent heavy field loadings in 10 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga., and even the efficient and effective 28 ga. HS-6 is truly an outstanding spherical propellant. HS-6 is identical to Winchester's discontinued 540. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

Bob

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

NEVER trust anything but your scale. If not ,dont shoot next to me. Jeff

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you can't afford an inexpensive scale you shouldn't be reloading.

HM

6. win.5012

win.5012 TS Member

Thank You for your comment "halfmile" but it really wasnt all that helpful. Obviously, a powder scale is a crucial component to anyones reloading arsenal. As a matter of fact I do own a very good scale, and please dont insinuate that I cannot afford something. Go join a barney thread or something!!!

7. halfmile

Use HS-6.

You started a thread that had all the hallmarks of an inexperienced scale-less person.

If you had a scale and a bushing you might have been able to figure it out was my guess.

Now (humbly)go back to Mec site.

HM

8. win.5012

win.5012 TS Member

I do have a scale and I do have some bushings but not every bushing known to man. The ones that I had were not close to 32.5 , I was just trying to narrow it down, without buying 10 different bushings while only needing one. I know that its not a 33,35, or a 38. So even having a good scale has little to do with the situation, I can see weighed out what 32.5 gns looks like but that doesnt nessecarily tell me what bushing I need. However, it seems that several of you have said that hs-6 is very similiar to 540 so I will start there. THanks for your help halfmile.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Greg my Winchester Reloading book says a Mec #28 bushing will throw 32.9 Grs
    Try this and weigh it out, it will probably throw a little less than this, 540 is a ball powder and it drops pretty accurate from load to load. This is a nice shoot off powder with 1 1/4 oz #5s or #6s.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. halfmile

Gary is right, 540/HS-6 is very dense. We loaded a very fast mallard killing load with it when we still used lead shot.

If you use a single stage loader you may want a size smaller bushing, since you tamp the powder down 5 times with each shell.

HM

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

"...it seems that several of you have said that hs-6 is very similiar to 540 so I will start there. ..."

Actually, it is HODGDON that says 540 & HS-6 are identical stuff.

Scales? who needs no steenkin' scales: that's why teaspoons come in all kinds of sizes.

Have a delightful.

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec 14 bushing how much 540 powder
mec bushing chart for winchester
mec bushings for win 540 powder

mec bushings winchester 540

mec powder bushing chart for winchester 540
winchester 540 mec
winchester 540 powder