1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper head position

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stu mackay, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stu mackay

stu mackay TS Member

I am having trouble keeping head down while shootin after a long lay off, any ideas?

2. Juno

Juno TS Member

Duct tape it to the stock?

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Yep, that's about it. If it moves, duct tape it. If it doesn't, use WD-40. ;)

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

With a higher gun mount, on your shoulder, your head will be up already. No need to lift it.

5. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Try keeping the gun on your shoulder after you shoot, aim & follow the
    largest piece of the broken target If you miss,continue to follow the target until it hits the ground. This will correct lifting the head.
    JJJ

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I always considered "on my shoulders" a good start...just kidding
    I always plant the butt of the gun square on my shoulder and rock it up to just touch under my cheek..then with my right elbow cocked and locked so to speak..draw into it snug looking where I expect to see the bird...sounds like you are having a technique issue

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Calvin, I agree with the on the shoulders answer but,I know a lot of people that have theirs up the wrong end.

8. COBIGGUNJR12

COBIGGUNJR12 TS Member

follow a chip or the target down

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Assume a normal stance and head position. Watch the other targets and then bring the gun up to your head with as little head movement as is possible. I am very good at doing this and keeping my head into the gun much of the time. I am not very good at doing that all of the time.

I need to spend some time, probably every day, learning how to mount my gun consistently. I also need to spend some time exercising a little bit every day. I might start doing each next month, but until then, I will just muddle along and think about what I should do.

Pat Ireland

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

They have a name for that in the med books Asphasia

11. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Good morning "poppy5" - May I suggest that you attack the problem differently. Your "rear sight" is the space between your cheek bone and your eye. Why not (1) stand erect, (2) bring the comb of the gun to your cheek bone, and finally, (3) slide the gun back into your shoulder.

You accomplish several things. (1) you can't raise your head if it is already up when you mount your gun, (2) the gun mount is consistent as the cheek bone doesn't move, and (3) you don't "bind up" and shoot high and behind the hard angles from Posts #1 and #5. Remember cheek and then shoulder (and not the other way around). Many shooters make the mistake of placing the butt of the gun on their shoulder and then dropping their head on the comb (wrong). Finally, when mounting the gun take your time and don't slap it up. I hope that helps you. I wish you great shooting.

Bruce Maxwell

12. bkt

bkt TS Member

It would be nice if a thread would start about some good exercises, that would help Shooters build or tone-up the neck and shoulder muscles. Good physical condition goes a long way in helping concentration and mental sharpness.

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Once I extract it from my butt my shooting seems to improve. On a serious note mount the gun and lift your elbow (trigger finger) to 90 degrees. That helps me

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The only way to stop lifting your head, is follow through. If you can't see the target exploding as you've passed through, you may (most likely) be lifting your head. Fit your gun to reduce as much barrel bounce as you can, to improve your ability to follow through. Likewise, reduce the recoil as much as you can. Wear ear muffs and ear plugs, stop the noise. All these things help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.